2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Starting MSRP

45 city / 40 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Loving the Mileage and comfort.

by PR-FL from South Florida | June 20, 2014

I have owned Ford vehicle since I was 16 yrs old. My first being an LTD, then 2 full size broncos each driven over 250,000 miles. Next was an Explorer then my Freestyle. Unfortunately someone rear ended my Freestyle and I was force to look for a new vehicle. I was not immediately taken with the C-Max Hybrid but was wooed by the mileage. I now love the car and I average 50 mpg around town and 40 mpg on the highway. My only complaint would be the windshield wipers. At the highest speed they do not clear the windshield quick enough for me to see. Driving home today, doing 30 mph in town I couldn't see at all.

2013 C-Max bad experience

by rooster from San Antonio Tx | June 17, 2014

I have had my C-max for 17 months and have had to say goodbye.While the 40mpg was great and the ride was very good the car was falling apart.After 3 wks the cooling fan shorted out.Then 2 wks later the starting battery went dead.Then came round after round of updates and recalls.After 6 months of that they had to put insulation in the roof under recall.My brakes failed one day but the dealer never found a problem.The clock seemed to reset itself to whatever time it wanted.The Bluetooth woked sometimes.The last straw was the airbag module recall from a few weeks ago.I took it in to be reprogrammed and the next day the air bag light came on and stayed on.Back in the shop again and it needed a whole new module and would not be fixed for 2 weeks.I traded the car 5 days later.I expected a new car to be dependable.Not have constant problems.The Ford dealer I bought it from would only give me 4000 under rough trade book.They did offer me an extended warranty for 3000.00. I said no thanks and went to Dodge.Maybe it was just a Friday built car but I will not own another.

C-Max Energi a Work In Progress

by Muli-hybrid-owner from Lakewood, CA | May 26, 2014

Ok: Bought the car in October 2013. Wasn't planning on it, actually - I wanted to only LOOK at the regular C-Max, not the Energi model. But I went in armed with Costco Auto Program pricing, an approved loan from my Bank, and when I saw the price (and rebates) on the car? Plus, in Cali you get to use the carpool lane as a solo driver with plug-in hybrids! So how could I resist, really? MSRP: 34,995 Costco pricing removed a few thousand. Federal credit: 4007.00 Cali rebate: 1500.00. WOW. I walked out with a well-equipped new Energi! Ok- problem 1 was a rattle that seemed to be coming from the left rear. I took it to my local dealer....turned out the antenna, on the roof, was loose. Ok, score 1 for poor workmanship. Problem 2 was related- both front doors began squeaking and rattling. Doesn't do it all the time. But on poor road surfaces (of which we have plenty), it's noticeable. They just replaced the "bezels" (where the armrest is) - that fixed about 1/2 the problem. It was apparent they'd fixed the "obvious" problem, but not the real problem. So now I get to take it in again (this time to another Ford dealer who wants to really "fix" the problem. The bigger issue: they don't offer free loaner cars. You have to lay out $40-50/day for a rental. I work. I need a car. Even my VW dealer (for I had a Jetta Sportwagen before this) offered a free loaner. Come on, Ford. You can do better than this. Now- to be truthful? The rest of the car is perfect. I've got 27,000km / 17,000 miles on the car after only 7 months. I consistently beat EPA numbers! I love how comfortable it is to drive, how taut the steering and handling is (it is a European design, after all!). The active noise cancellation feature is great! Noticeable issues: there are so few storage cubbies (though the one beneath the floor in the back seat area is pretty cool). And the glove box seems to slope into the passenger compartment - odd. The lack of luggage space should have been addressed by adding 30 cm / 1 ft to the back of the car. It would have made a big difference! The "no gas tank cap" feature is stellar! Nice, Ford! The Sync-based navigation itself is fine - but man is the screen really slow at redrawing! You think they could have used a processor newer than a 386? But, this is Microsoft we're talking about, right? It's "crashed" a few times, on long drives. A 30-min rest seems to reset it. But why should it? Ford, give us a new update that fixes these little issues, please! Otherwise? Comfortable! Huge windshield. It feels SO much bigger than it is! The backseat area is huge. Passengers love it (the Jetta sux back there). The overall interior design and quality (door panels excepting) is spectacular. Ford got so very much right on this car - and I consistently get 32 km / 20 miles out of an overnight value charge. Very cool indeed.

Most fun car I've owned

by Harv from Florence, KY | May 24, 2014

In our family, we've always had one large vehicle for room and comfort and a smaller vehicle for driving around town and fuel efficiency. When we decided to trade in our Ford Focus, my husband and I disagreed over what to get. I wanted to sit up higher, like in an Escape, but he wanted better gas mileage. We spotted the C-Max. It was a hybrid and it is a taller vehicle, where you sit up higher. We took it for a test drive and immediately bought it. It has so much power, and it handles great. It has everything we were looking for, and we have no regrets. It is also very roomy. The back seats fold down so that you can haul a larger item. It has the looks, the get up and go, and the fuel efficiency.

Best bet for a light utility hybrid.

by Scott M in CNY from Upstate NY | May 2, 2014

We purchased a leftover but new 2013 C-Max to replace my wife's 2012 Subaru Impreza wagon. She commutes approximately 100 miles a day and the gas mileage was an issue with the Subaru. The Subaru's mileage is grossly overstated at 35 MPG. She never got close to 30 with it. Usually around 26-27. She was vehemently opposed to a diesel (my choice for her) so we looked at the hybrids. We started with the Lexus CT200h. it was nicely appointed and had the most comfortable seats of all the hybrids we tested, unless you're an adult sitting in the back seat. The engine was anemic and felt like you would never get to 65 if you were trying to merge onto the highway. We tried the Prius and it felt cheap and like the Lexus had no spunk to it. Steering felt dead and the ride was thumpy. The gauge cluster and transmission engaging lever are just a goofy gimmick in my opinion and is just too odd to be taken seriously. We then drove the Ford Fusion hybrid. Awesome car but lacked the utility and was $6000 more than the C-Max. it was second on our short list. There are two highly configurable displays to either side of the speedo in the main cluster that provide continuous data related to your level of eco-friendliness. While you can configure them to display phone, direction, and other entertainment functionality, my wife settled on the Acceleration, Cruising, and Braking recover coach on the left and the leaf garden on the right. Now, the persuit of 100% efficiency in all areas and getting a full screen of leaves (particularly the last big one) has become a game and made her much more conscious of her driving habits. Brilliant! Prior to owning the C-Max and the leaf garden, my wife treated the accelerator and brake pedals as ON/OFF switches. Hard on the gas and then wait until the last second to jump on the brakes. When we first purchased the C-Max our friends saw the leaf garden and joked that she would turn it into a burning bush, just a screen with a couple of brown branches on it. She is routinely getting 38-39 on the highway and has gotten as much as 55 in the city. She absolutely loves this car. The car is very comfortable on longer trips with good leg support and placement of arm supports. I am 6' and my wife is 4' 11 1/2" and we both find it very easy to find a comfortable seating position. Rear legroom is excellent for a 6 footer even with me in front of them. The visibility in this vehicle is excellent, one of, if not the best, I've ever seen. We've had the vehicle for several months now and the only complaint would be with windshield wipers and their location. We live in upstate NY and ice and snow are an every day occurrence. The manner in which the wiper arms fold, the rested position places them under the lip of the hood. This easily becomes filled with snow and ice and is difficult to dislodge them until the defroster thaws them out. The Subaru that this replaced had a winter package that included the heated windshield pads where the wipers rest to thaw them quickly. Ford should seriously think about this feature in the C-Max. Our C-Max has the winter package with heated seats. When I say they heat up quickly, you wouldn't believe how fast until you experience them. Literally, in 20-30 seconds your backside is toasty. They work almost too well. I haven't been able to get it past the first of five settings. Overall it's an excellent vehicle and my wife couldn't be happier. She even name it, the first time she's ever named her car. Maxi.

First Ford and I like it!

by Vermont CMAX from Vermont | April 28, 2014

Car is very agile, interior of SEL luxurious. I did not think that I would like this car, because I have never owned a Ford, but I am glad that I test drove it. Right now we are averaging 42mpg, on the highway against a stiff wind we had 39mpg. It is very quiet, roomy and is easy to get in and out of. The leather, heated seats are comfortable. I am trying to maximize the MPG, so I do not drive aggressively. If I could have found a used Energi I would have bought it over the hybrid, but I am very glad to have a CMAX.

I say don't buy

by ater from West | March 24, 2014

Secondary to issues with Cmax design, is the pathetic, nearly non-existent customer support from HQ Ford. You'll be frustrated beyond descript if you have a mechanical. Save yourself the headache and don't buy a Ford till they revamp their customer service.

Not the mileage expected!

by Wyoming from Worland Wyoming | March 1, 2014

We have now owned our C-Max hybrid for one year. We enjoy driving this car but the mileage is big joke. This is not a winter car our mileage is going down almost every day. Mileage over all is 39.1 but this week I have gotten 25mpg. Very disappointed. Had we known we would have gotten a different car.

Great Blend of Handling, Driving, & Fuel Economy

by Ferg from Statesboro, Georgia | February 16, 2014

Like a number of folks submitting a review I am a former (Porsche 914 & 911) and current (classic BMW 99 M3) owner of fun to drive sports vehicles. When my wife and I decided to purchase a vehicle that would allow us to cost effectively travel from our current home in southeast Georgia to Philly and northern NJ to visit our kids and grand kids, we took this into consideration. We test drove the Prius V and the Ford C-Max and the Ford C-Max won hands down in all areas, including the front and rear headroom & legroom which in the Ford C-Max is excellent and far superior to the Prius V. As for the drive and handling, the Prius was sluggish and a chore to handle, whereas the C-Max has surprisingly good acceleration, particularly at the upper end, and handles with ease. No question that the total storage space is not as good as the Prius V, but I'll take a great, comfortable, cost effective drive over storage capacity any day. We have had the C-Max for about a month and, in part because of the mpg usage digital dashboard that includes a nifty 'brake coach" regenerative breaking system energy saving display, we are getting between 43 and 46 average mpg. It also helps that my wife, who is the primary driver, does not have the "pedal to the metal" inclinations that I have. This is an important point because, with any of the hybrids, your mpg fuel efficiency is largely in your own hands -- actually foot to the accelerator. We did not like all of the touch screen gizmo's that came with the more expensive fully micro-soft sync entertainment system SEL model so ended up purchasing the SE which still has some great "state of the art" technology including the hands free phone. Other than this, the vehicle is fully loaded and we got a great deal because we purchased the last of the 2013's.

I Like This Car

by KCPriest from Kansas City, MO | February 13, 2014

I really like this car. It is fun to drive, economical, comfortable. I've owned it for a month and a half, driving around Kansas City's winter snow and ice, driving to two churches, hospitals, etc. It's not a Subaru, but it is sure-footed. I haven't taken it out on the highway except for a few miles around the city, but I think it will be just as good cross country as it is in the city. My only concern is whether it will do OK on gravel roads when I head to the mountains. I've driven Volkswagen's for decades, and this is the first American car that captures and tops that European feel. Plus, I don't feel like I'm sitting on the floor. It feels like I'm upright like I was in my SUV, without the step up to get inside. I'm still waiting for the high mileage to stick around. It has been so cold here and most of my trips are so short that the gas engine is running much of the time. On those occasions when it has really warmed up, or we have had a warm day, mileage sometimes gets above 50 mpg. The voice activated controls could be more user friendly. Way more user friendly. There's lots of information available visually, but the voice controls are just stupid. I've been used to Google and Apple, and using this interface is so slow and so crude it feels like it is a decade out of date. I'm hoping that upgrades will fix it. I'll just keep using my phone when I need directions. At least it understands what I am asking for the first time. If you want a computer, tablet or cell phone, you could make a better choice than whoever designed this software. Even so, I really like this car.