2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

42 city / 37 hwy

Overall

Mileage

by /r/cmaxhybrid/ from New Jersey | November 3, 2014

Yeah, the car has been really good. Awesome electronics and Navigation system. Really like it. It's small for me at 6'3" for long trips (hard surfaces on the outside of my legs make it uncomfortable) My wife loves it, she fits right in but fears it's a little on the small side in case of an accident. That said, she does most of her driving around town which however is where most accidents occur. Quite happy with the 37mpg average but bought the car for the 47mpg average. Now realizing i should just buy a nicer vehicle that might exceed it's EPA claims instead.. and maybe sacrifice 5 mpg's! Same nonsense

Comfortable and excellent gas mileage

by Boilermaker Fan from Adrian, MI | October 10, 2014

The 2015 models were showing up on the lot and I was ble to get a great deal on a 2013 C-Max SEL that was sitting on the lot. Being 6'4" tall, head room and leg room are a priority and the C-Max offered plenty of both. I find the car to be fun to drive and very comfortable on my 110 mile round trip daily commute. I read the negative articles on the mileage achieved in the C-Max and was pleasantly surprised to get 47 mpg on my commute. An excellent deal, excellent, mpg, comfortable interior, & good handling - what more can you want?

Very happy with my C-MAX

by Dan from Orlando, FL | October 7, 2014

I'm very happy with my C-Max Hybrid SE. I bought it in May 2013. My overall MPG is 43 after a year and a half. It would be better if the gas engine was better, but 43 MPG isn't much to complain about. I love the touchscreen, entertainment system, and console controls. The dashboard info screens are very useful and beautiful (I love the efficiency leaves). I'm a tall person so I loved getting into this car--I don't have to crouch or contort myself to get in or out and there's a ton of headroom. The back seats are roomy and when they fold down there's a nice big trunk area. Speaking of the trunk (hatchback), I love it because when it is open I can stand tall underneath it without ducking (I'm 6'1"). I usually try to max out my battery use and overall MPG by going slower, but if I need to go faster this car has good pick-up and will fly if you need it to. Now for the bad and why I gave it 4/5 overall. I mentioned before that the engine isn't great. There are non-hybrid cars that can get around 40 MPG but the C-Max would probably only be around 28-30 MPG if it wasn't a hybrid. The battery is what gets it over the 40 hump (I've kept track of my mileage and a consistent 33% of my miles are on electric power, hence the 30 estimate). I took a point off of exterior styling simply because it's certainly not a cool car to look at, but I don't particularly care about driving a cool car--I just wanted a mid-sized hybrid. Another knock on the C-Max is the constant recalls: I've had four in the last 18 months I think, which is a bit frustrating. I bought it when they were still advertising the 47/47/47 MPG which was obviously changed since then (Thanks for the rebates, Ford! :-) ). I get better MPG than the current ratings, but that's because I try really hard to max out my battery use while driving (so I'm that annoying slow person in the right lane all the time now... Sorry Orlando people). So even with a few design problems and the bad EPA ratings I'm very happy I got this car. I buy gas at most twice a month and as little as once a month, which is awesome. I enjoy being in the car because it is a very nice ride and the features are cool. Would still buy again.

A Really High-quality Vehicle

by Rick153 from Monroe, NC | August 14, 2014

After researching a lot of cars, I narrowed my search down to two cars; one of which was the Ford C-Max. I was impressed with the mpg figures and had previously rented a Focus on which this car is based which was a really nice drive. The reasons that allowed my to buy the car was the ride, the handling, it's quietness, a huge list of features, a dealer who really wanted to deal and how solidly it was all put together. The mpg rating is 42, but I am getting 45 with a new engine. The performance is quite good, even it was not a hybrid. Having rented and owned many cars (from muscle to luxury) I can say that the C-Max feels as good as anything I've driven. Thus far there have been no problems which is remarkable since the vehicle is very complex yet seems to to do it all effortlessly. The minimial complaints would be that it would be nice if there were another handy cubby hole or glove. The other is that the sync system--I've been spoiled with my talking phone--needs a significant learning curve. It has the vocabulary of a small rabbit and, though touted as a safety feature, often refers me to using the screen instead of looking at the road!??!! However, I expected this since I had done the research. The styling is OK--not overly stylish--but it's not ugly and many other models are far more innocuous. In value, performance, and quality it has exceeded my expectations,

Trouble ahead 2013 Ford CMax hybrid

by lady ref from Fresno | July 17, 2014

I have filed a complaint w/IHTSA ODI with just 5000 miles/6months into lease 1/2 mi from home our 2013 Ford CMAX Hybrid SYNC SYSTEM GPS CATASTROPHICALLY FAILED LOCKING ALL 4 DOORS & WINDOWS and ALL AC SHUT OFF & INTERIOR POWER CONTROLS LOCKED IN- OPERABLE 109 DEGREES OUTSIDE w/our service DOG in back seat FORTUNATELY HER WINDOW WAS DOWN.We contacted LITHIA FORD for further instructions told us to "JUMP START IT & DRIVE IT IN TO LITHIA FORD" 3 consecutive sundays we came home to see our 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid that we parked thurs night suddenly had ALL 4 WINDOWS ROLLED DOWN & ALL 4 DOORS UNLOCKED BY ITSELF!.Our keys to car remained locked in key box inside our home untouched as the car was for 3 full days.We have home alarm and no person, or pet, could have accessed the Ford or its keys(locked in box inside ) for 3 days prior to incident.On board recording device proved our "incidents" & concerns to Ford.Also we have already received a substantial rebate "fuel " check from Ford because the FALSE MPG RATINGS.The ignition/key area is unlighted as well as difficult to see or access because CMAX TINY steering wheel w/ awkward and useless tilt with super short wheel base in its "large/full size car class". All the rest interior has lights all over it. The 2 positive features I am forced to share I fit a full size washing machine w/hatchback closed completely w/seats down of course and THIS CAR IS FREAKING FAST!!!!! Inadvertantly,the CMax tires chirp nearly every time we accelerate from a stop while using extra care to steadily & carefully ease gas peddle/accelaeration.Thanks for FYI I hope nobody gets hurt and Ford does right by fixing this UNSTUDIED UNVERIFIED SYNC SYSTEM, MPG /ENVIROMENTAL RATINGS,FAILURE GPS

Love it so far!

by robnews from Moncton, Canada | July 11, 2014

I have had mine for 2 weeks. A 2013 model. So far I am very pleased. I have never been under 40 MPG and that is with the wife and kids in the car and the AC on! My going back and forth to work average is 42-44 MPG. I must admit I have to work and pay attention to get 44+. If you gun it like a regular car, you will be under 40 in no time. But driving normal I easily get 41+. Plus the car is fun. Just love the comfort and tech, sound system is great. 2 test drives sold it to me!

Loving the Mileage and comfort.

by PR-FL from South Florida | June 20, 2014

I have owned Ford vehicle since I was 16 yrs old. My first being an LTD, then 2 full size broncos each driven over 250,000 miles. Next was an Explorer then my Freestyle. Unfortunately someone rear ended my Freestyle and I was force to look for a new vehicle. I was not immediately taken with the C-Max Hybrid but was wooed by the mileage. I now love the car and I average 50 mpg around town and 40 mpg on the highway. My only complaint would be the windshield wipers. At the highest speed they do not clear the windshield quick enough for me to see. Driving home today, doing 30 mph in town I couldn't see at all.

2013 C-Max bad experience

by rooster from San Antonio Tx | June 17, 2014

I have had my C-max for 17 months and have had to say goodbye.While the 40mpg was great and the ride was very good the car was falling apart.After 3 wks the cooling fan shorted out.Then 2 wks later the starting battery went dead.Then came round after round of updates and recalls.After 6 months of that they had to put insulation in the roof under recall.My brakes failed one day but the dealer never found a problem.The clock seemed to reset itself to whatever time it wanted.The Bluetooth woked sometimes.The last straw was the airbag module recall from a few weeks ago.I took it in to be reprogrammed and the next day the air bag light came on and stayed on.Back in the shop again and it needed a whole new module and would not be fixed for 2 weeks.I traded the car 5 days later.I expected a new car to be dependable.Not have constant problems.The Ford dealer I bought it from would only give me 4000 under rough trade book.They did offer me an extended warranty for 3000.00. I said no thanks and went to Dodge.Maybe it was just a Friday built car but I will not own another.

C-Max Energi a Work In Progress

by Muli-hybrid-owner from Lakewood, CA | May 26, 2014

Ok: Bought the car in October 2013. Wasn't planning on it, actually - I wanted to only LOOK at the regular C-Max, not the Energi model. But I went in armed with Costco Auto Program pricing, an approved loan from my Bank, and when I saw the price (and rebates) on the car? Plus, in Cali you get to use the carpool lane as a solo driver with plug-in hybrids! So how could I resist, really? MSRP: 34,995 Costco pricing removed a few thousand. Federal credit: 4007.00 Cali rebate: 1500.00. WOW. I walked out with a well-equipped new Energi! Ok- problem 1 was a rattle that seemed to be coming from the left rear. I took it to my local dealer....turned out the antenna, on the roof, was loose. Ok, score 1 for poor workmanship. Problem 2 was related- both front doors began squeaking and rattling. Doesn't do it all the time. But on poor road surfaces (of which we have plenty), it's noticeable. They just replaced the "bezels" (where the armrest is) - that fixed about 1/2 the problem. It was apparent they'd fixed the "obvious" problem, but not the real problem. So now I get to take it in again (this time to another Ford dealer who wants to really "fix" the problem. The bigger issue: they don't offer free loaner cars. You have to lay out $40-50/day for a rental. I work. I need a car. Even my VW dealer (for I had a Jetta Sportwagen before this) offered a free loaner. Come on, Ford. You can do better than this. Now- to be truthful? The rest of the car is perfect. I've got 27,000km / 17,000 miles on the car after only 7 months. I consistently beat EPA numbers! I love how comfortable it is to drive, how taut the steering and handling is (it is a European design, after all!). The active noise cancellation feature is great! Noticeable issues: there are so few storage cubbies (though the one beneath the floor in the back seat area is pretty cool). And the glove box seems to slope into the passenger compartment - odd. The lack of luggage space should have been addressed by adding 30 cm / 1 ft to the back of the car. It would have made a big difference! The "no gas tank cap" feature is stellar! Nice, Ford! The Sync-based navigation itself is fine - but man is the screen really slow at redrawing! You think they could have used a processor newer than a 386? But, this is Microsoft we're talking about, right? It's "crashed" a few times, on long drives. A 30-min rest seems to reset it. But why should it? Ford, give us a new update that fixes these little issues, please! Otherwise? Comfortable! Huge windshield. It feels SO much bigger than it is! The backseat area is huge. Passengers love it (the Jetta sux back there). The overall interior design and quality (door panels excepting) is spectacular. Ford got so very much right on this car - and I consistently get 32 km / 20 miles out of an overnight value charge. Very cool indeed.

Most fun car I've owned

by Harv from Florence, KY | May 24, 2014

In our family, we've always had one large vehicle for room and comfort and a smaller vehicle for driving around town and fuel efficiency. When we decided to trade in our Ford Focus, my husband and I disagreed over what to get. I wanted to sit up higher, like in an Escape, but he wanted better gas mileage. We spotted the C-Max. It was a hybrid and it is a taller vehicle, where you sit up higher. We took it for a test drive and immediately bought it. It has so much power, and it handles great. It has everything we were looking for, and we have no regrets. It is also very roomy. The back seats fold down so that you can haul a larger item. It has the looks, the get up and go, and the fuel efficiency.