2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

See Photos & Videos

Overall

I say don't buy

by ater from West | March 24, 2014

Secondary to issues with Cmax design, is the pathetic, nearly non-existent customer support from HQ Ford. You'll be frustrated beyond descript if you have a mechanical. Save yourself the headache and don't buy a Ford till they revamp their customer service.

Not the mileage expected!

by Wyoming from Worland Wyoming | March 1, 2014

We have now owned our C-Max hybrid for one year. We enjoy driving this car but the mileage is big joke. This is not a winter car our mileage is going down almost every day. Mileage over all is 39.1 but this week I have gotten 25mpg. Very disappointed. Had we known we would have gotten a different car.

Great Blend of Handling, Driving, & Fuel Economy

by Ferg from Statesboro, Georgia | February 16, 2014

Like a number of folks submitting a review I am a former (Porsche 914 & 911) and current (classic BMW 99 M3) owner of fun to drive sports vehicles. When my wife and I decided to purchase a vehicle that would allow us to cost effectively travel from our current home in southeast Georgia to Philly and northern NJ to visit our kids and grand kids, we took this into consideration. We test drove the Prius V and the Ford C-Max and the Ford C-Max won hands down in all areas, including the front and rear headroom & legroom which in the Ford C-Max is excellent and far superior to the Prius V. As for the drive and handling, the Prius was sluggish and a chore to handle, whereas the C-Max has surprisingly good acceleration, particularly at the upper end, and handles with ease. No question that the total storage space is not as good as the Prius V, but I'll take a great, comfortable, cost effective drive over storage capacity any day. We have had the C-Max for about a month and, in part because of the mpg usage digital dashboard that includes a nifty 'brake coach" regenerative breaking system energy saving display, we are getting between 43 and 46 average mpg. It also helps that my wife, who is the primary driver, does not have the "pedal to the metal" inclinations that I have. This is an important point because, with any of the hybrids, your mpg fuel efficiency is largely in your own hands -- actually foot to the accelerator. We did not like all of the touch screen gizmo's that came with the more expensive fully micro-soft sync entertainment system SEL model so ended up purchasing the SE which still has some great "state of the art" technology including the hands free phone. Other than this, the vehicle is fully loaded and we got a great deal because we purchased the last of the 2013's.

I Like This Car

by KCPriest from Kansas City, MO | February 13, 2014

I really like this car. It is fun to drive, economical, comfortable. I've owned it for a month and a half, driving around Kansas City's winter snow and ice, driving to two churches, hospitals, etc. It's not a Subaru, but it is sure-footed. I haven't taken it out on the highway except for a few miles around the city, but I think it will be just as good cross country as it is in the city. My only concern is whether it will do OK on gravel roads when I head to the mountains. I've driven Volkswagen's for decades, and this is the first American car that captures and tops that European feel. Plus, I don't feel like I'm sitting on the floor. It feels like I'm upright like I was in my SUV, without the step up to get inside. I'm still waiting for the high mileage to stick around. It has been so cold here and most of my trips are so short that the gas engine is running much of the time. On those occasions when it has really warmed up, or we have had a warm day, mileage sometimes gets above 50 mpg. The voice activated controls could be more user friendly. Way more user friendly. There's lots of information available visually, but the voice controls are just stupid. I've been used to Google and Apple, and using this interface is so slow and so crude it feels like it is a decade out of date. I'm hoping that upgrades will fix it. I'll just keep using my phone when I need directions. At least it understands what I am asking for the first time. If you want a computer, tablet or cell phone, you could make a better choice than whoever designed this software. Even so, I really like this car.

Great C-Max

by Bob'sC-Max from Maine | February 10, 2014

This is the 4th hybrid I have owned (two Priuses and 1 Fusion). The Priuses are bullet-proof but boring. The C-Max handles very well and is a lot of fun to drive. In my opinion, Ford has figured out exactly how the transmission should work with the hybrid engine. I find the upgraded electronics package very well done. It takes a bit of getting used to but then it works great. The SEL interior is very comfortable. I am very glad I bought the car.

hey

by Person from Los Angeles | February 10, 2014

I like the car a lot. Drives well. I wish I had gotten the rear lift and the beeping back up deal. Hate the 'security' get smart doohickey that one MUST use to get the car to start. Sooo very hooky. And one other thing I really think Ford needs to address: the 'glove compartment' between the seats. It is a dark hole that will, inevitably, be full of dusty stuff within a year. Big design flaw. After three weeks I am still a little uncomfortable going into a lane on my right. I feel a little like there is a blind spot. All that said, Happy with the purchase.

Great Car

by Seattle C-Max from Seattle | January 30, 2014

Have had our C-Max for one year now - low miles, still really, really love it. Great gas mileage for us here in Seattle. Summer - 45 to 50+ mpg, mild weather winter - 40 to 45+ mpg, and that is 'at the pump'. But that is just the start. Very well equipped (SEL) for the money - great feature set, ride, drivability, comfort....... I have knee and back issues which could not be better treated with the ease of entry, lumbar support, ECO cruise control .............. Love the ability to choose/modify dash displays for my preferences, love the Sony sound & 8" display for Entertainment, Navigation & telephony. This car is replacing our BMW 525.

Love this car

by Hybrid Convert from Abilene, TX | January 10, 2014

I've owned Mercedes M-Class, E-Class and Cadillac SRX in the past, and while this car doesn't carry the "status", it is definitely ever bit as fun and equipped (SEL version) as those luxury vehicles, at a fraction of the cost. Some have been having trouble getting the gas mileage, but at 2000 miles thus far I've been able to achieve results very close the the marked ratings. Not sure when people expected to get close to the published MPG ratings on a car, but I've gotten closer with this car than any other I've ever owned. You just have to drive "right" and you'll get there. Driving in west texas, the temps are mild during the winter and the terrain is flat so that's an advantage for me... On the highway, plenty of punch to pass a car that's going 70 MPH, and with a cruising speed of around 80 MPH, I was still getting over 30 MPG. No that isn't 42 but then I don't think the design was to get 42 at 80 MPH average cruising speed. Considering my 84 Corvette had 205 HP I'd say 188 HP in this C-Max is pretty impressive for a hybrid. I got over 100 MPH with no strain at all. Around town keeping the "coaching" bars all the way to the right (aka driving "right"), I've no problem achieving MPG in the 40's. That's very acceptable to me. I tote my golf clubs and push cart to the course daily (weather permitting) and with the split 2/3 seat folded down everything fits easily. Great car and highly recommended.

My first leasing

by My gas saver from Huntsville, Alabama 35762 | December 23, 2013

I am ecstatic about my Ford C-Max Hybrid. It provides a smooth and easy ride. I am very comfortable and feel safer because of the visibility that its design affords.

great so far

by mad scientist from greenville, sc | December 21, 2013

I bought a slightly used cmax. the prior owner only averaged 33.8 mpg! must have had a lead foot. I just took a trip to the office and got 50.1 mpg at 60 mph. I am being careful to accelerate and decelerate slowly, perhaps to the consternation of other drivers. my braking rating is usually 90 to 100 %. I have no complaints after a month or driving. I was told by a friend to consider the cmax as an alternative to other hybrids and I'm glad I did. the ride is very smooth and quiet. it has more room than a lot of the alternative choices. the ones I test drove on the day of purchase were a common hybrid and the cmax. there was no comparison. great so far.