2009 Ford Edge

2009 Ford Edge
Available in 8 styles:  2009 Ford Edge 4dr FWD shown

Overall

Edge is a great balance, love it

by Thrifty suburbanite from Kansas City, MO | April 28, 2014

I went for a used Edge, 2009 model with all the options but FWD only. I wanted to avoid issues others encountered with the transfer case, hopefully reduce cabin noise and rarely need the AWD. So far, I am extremely pleased - very quiet ride, great acceleration (but could always wish for a V8), well designed interior with very functional MS In-Sync system, bluetooth link to phone/ media and satellite radio. Interior volume is not huge, but quite adequate especially rear seat room. There is a slight roughness to transmission shifting when coasting at low RPMs (think parking lots), but otherwise very smooth. The gas mileage, as others have noted, is not great - I'm getting about 20-21 mpg in mixed city/ hiway. Overall, I think Ford got it right.

Love The Vehicle

by Special Utility Vehicle (SUV owner) from Belleville, IL | October 8, 2013

The Ford Edge is a really nice car. It drives so smooth the ride is comfortable as the interior really relaxing. The look is of sophistication, it so far is a joy to have. The only downfall is the gas mileage. Not good.

Great crossover for the money

by Edgy driver from Schuylkill Haven, PA | December 11, 2012

I always liked the Edge's style, but could never find one when I was looking that I really liked. This year was my year. I found an 09 that had everything I wanted at a great price. It is roomy, has well appointed interior and edgy lines that make the car want to race down the road. The engine certainly obliges, with a great balance of power and pick up. I never have to worry about merging into traffic with this vehicle! The radio and stereo system make the drive effort-less as well with great reception even in the valleys of NE PA. The Sirius radio is a great add-on for those times when you just want to drive... The all the time AWD is both a blessing and a curse- it's great in the snowy hills of PA, but the gas mileage is impacted a bit. Newer models have adjusted for this though, but I'm willing to accept the extra cost for the safety provided by the AWD. I think this is a great car for the money!

Great but watch out of the leaky PTU's...

by Former Honda Loyalist from | August 10, 2011

I love Honda's overall reliability (I own a Pilot and was replacing an Accord) but I find their seats to be uncomfortable. After test driving a Honda and a few other CUV's, I drove the Edge and liked it. After shopping around, I found a 2009 LTD w/ AWD w/22K at the right price. There are plenty of them out there so there are good deals to be had if you are willing to look around and to hold out for the right price. A word to the wise - be certain to have any AWD Edge checked for signs of a leaky PTU, or Power Transfer Unit, before you purchase. I don't know how wide spread of an issue this is but if you google the Edge with leaky PTU or smelly odors, you'll find a few owner blogs addressing it. My local mechanic found the leak easily. I had a new seal kit installed by the local Ford dealer under warranty and, after 4K, so far so good. The dealer claims that Ford is now on top of the issue and will replace the whole unit if it leaks again within the warranty period. Otherwise, I like the car. It has a stable ride, is fairly responsive for a CUV, is very comfortable on those long road trips and has plenty of room for big and tall people.

Edge SEL AWD - great car for the money

by Road Warrier Joe from Plattsburgh, NY | July 11, 2011

This is a great car for the money. I put over 70,000 miles on it in about 2 1/2 years and it still rides and handles like it was new. I have had no problems with it. Looked at the other suv's like Acadia and, really, the 3rd row seats are useless unless you have small kids. A friend of mine has the Equinox and it is smaller and, from his experience, poorly built compared to the Edge. My Edge with awd practically plows through anything upstate NY winters can throw at it. I decided on cloth seats since they looked great new and still look great after 70,000 miles. Past experience with leather is they look bad after that many miles, especially the driver's seat. I use this for business travel but also get out on the weekends skiing, camping, and kayaking.

No more than I would expect from Ford.

by Penny from Tampa, FL | January 2, 2011

I have owned several Ford cars and have been pleased with all but one (Granada). I didn't want leather seats and could not get the extra upgrades with cloth. What I was seriously dissappointed in is the vinyl privacy cover in the back, cheap looking and eleastic already wearing. No, really no interior light in the pocket compartment even the Ford mechanic went looking for it... and couldn't believe it....so I have a $1.00 stick on light in a $29,000+ car. Also, for the driver, you can't close or move the vents. i.e. airconditioning blows on hands.... suffer with arthritius in hands....

You'll love this car

by Smallchange from Newbury, MA | June 10, 2010

A friend had suggested I test-drive her new Edge before I visited a dealership. I was sold right away. I took advantage of last year's Clunker Program and drove away with my first brand new car in 11 years! It is roomy; the seats are comfortable on a long trip; it has plenty of cargo space; the sound system is terrific. It feels very secure when driving in bad weather, especially snow when all-wheel drive is an advantage. I have been pleasantly surprised by the good gas mileage and if gas prices weren't quite so high I'd be out driving around right now!

My first Ford, 2009 Limited FWD

by Shesther from Bristol, TN | June 3, 2010

Have owned my 09 Edge Limited for several months now. Love the exterior appearance, the wheels are beautiful, paint color is a Silver metallic. The interior is somewhat simple, with hard plastics throughout. Even though this was disappointing at first, after several months I realize that everything is very solid and well fitted. Very easy to drive, ride is smooth and quiet. LOVE my vista roof, lets in a tremendous amount of light, and at night it's wonderful to see the stars. The back seat is roomy even with a large carseat in the center, 2 adults are very comfortable on either side. Our best gas mileage HWY is 26, best CITY has been 18-19. Combined driving is normally around 22. Really like the Sync system for my phone and IPod. Overall, I am thrilled with my Edge, and receive many compliments.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

by Debster from Seattle, WA | October 7, 2009

I needed a car to haul the dogs, groceries, gear, family, etc... I wanted something big enough to handle my needs yet small enough to fit in the driveway. My Edge is a bit wider than I was initially looking for but it's beefy wide not ugly wide. So stable on the roads, great handling city or highway. First long trip was Seattle to Spokane and it was a walk in the park. 2nd trip was down the Oregon coast and the trip was a dream! 10 straight hours for the drive home and my back was happy happy happy! This thing is so comfortable! There are pictures below showing how much you can pack into the back of this car! We camped for a week, went shopping (tax free zone!) and enjoyed the freedom of the open road in comfort and style. The panoramic roof is amazing. I have it open almost all the time even in cloudy weather because it's fresh air and bright! My dogs love the space they have. I have a full size dog bed in the back and they can lounge or see out the windows easily. The cargo net makes it safe for them when opening and closing the back hatch and I use 2 of the gadget tie down thingys for their leashes (they are leashed at all times for their safety). The sound system is wonderful. I am not a conformist so I do not have an ipod but my Zen hooks right up to the Sync system and plays and charges without a hitch. Sync is the best ever! in our family there are 4 cell phones and all are able to hook up though the kids (21 & 22) have declined to do so... wonder why? I have the all weather mats from Ford. I recommend them! My car is in Cinnamon and has Camel leather interior. Whoever thought camel carpet would be cool does not have pets, children or ever drives to the beach or mountains. I just bought this in the spring and am looking forward to seeing if I can get out of my driveway and up our hill this winter. I am so tired of missing work due to snow or having to depend on others for a ride. I'm hoping the AWD will be what I need. I drive back and forth to work and have to fill up every 2 weeks if I do no other running around. I am getting the high average on city of 17.4 mpg and on the Oregon trip I was getting about 22 mpg but there were only about 500 miles on it when I left.

09 edge

by josh from ellendale de | September 24, 2009

i have an 09 edge with no complaints what so ever. it gets good gas mileage, drives great rides smooth and has plenty of power and i haven't had a minutes worth of problems.