2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Available in 4 styles:  2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr FWD shown

Overall

40mpg

by Long commuter from Florida | July 15, 2014

I bought my escape used 2 years ago put abou 60k miles the only thing I have had to do is add freon once. I never get less then 37mpg it's always between 37-41.6 now I do have a light foot and that's 75 percent highway the real trick to getting great mileage on this car is the keep your rpms as steady as you can at 1500 which granted will only get you up to about 62mph and i live in fl so the roads are flat but worth the savings. My only complain would be the rear folding seats have a couple extra steps to lay down. I prefer this style escape over the newer ones which no longer come in hybrid, but I have been told from the dealer they plan on releasing a newer hybrid escape in the future.

Hybrid? All Wheel Drive? Small SUV? Only 1 Choice

by Swiss Army Knife of Car Reviewers from Vienna, VA | February 20, 2012

When looking for a commute vehicle which could also hold two small kids, I looked at numerous sedans (Toyota Camery Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid) and was impressed with them but wanted one option they didn't have: AWD. Doing my research, the only car which had all of the above was the Ford Escape Hybrid (and the Lexus SUV, but a bit too expensive for a commute car). I found that starting in 2008, the Ford Escape Hybrid had been completely redesigned with additional safety features, and with the Hybrid it was eligible for "Clean Fuel Tags" in Virginia, a big plus on I-66 to go single person in HOV lanes. I also learned starting in 2009 they upgraded the engine, braking and steering, so clearly a 2009 or newer was the best match for me, and I must say I have been impressed. 27 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving, very comfortable to drive extended miles and easily able to get around in bad weather with comfort and safety.

Great economy, with space and reliability

by Sports car driver from Naples, FL | December 12, 2011

OK - ours is the model with all the bells & whistles, but aside from the fact that it's much smarter than the driver, the Escape Hybrid does everything very well. It has good comfort in both front & rear seats, controls fall readily to hand, and the Hybrid drivetrain is quiet, smooth, and delivers 28+ mpg even when driving short trips in town. It's also very comfortable on the highway, although our driving is mostly city. Only reasons not to buy would be if you need even more space, or want to tow more than 3500 lb. - thus, it's very well suited for the majority of drivers. even those "vertically challenged" will find a comfy driving position and enjoy very good visibility.

Great first hybrid experience

by Kahuna from Beaufort, NC | December 5, 2011

We were considering a replacement for our 2000 Explorer, which had been a great car. Considered Subaru's, etc., but decided on the Escape Hybrid. Love the car! Peppier than I expected (don't like the Prius in this regard). Now that I do not have to trailer larger boats, it is just what we need. It would be nice if the back seats went entirely flat for cargo, but that is minor.

Love a Hybrid SUV

by Syracusian from Syracuse, NY | May 14, 2011

I have owned this 2009 for 9 months. I bought it used with almost 40,000 miles on it. I'm getting slightly better gas milage than specs. There is a little wind noise at higher speeds from the battery vents. Expect to get lower gas milage during the winter. Electric to gas transition is seamless, much better than previous years. As with most Ford SUVs that I've owned, I seem to have to machine the rotors more often. I owned two Explorers leading up to this. I thought I would miss the storage space. I don't. It still carries luggage for a family of 4 plus a dog.

FORD ESCAPE HYBRID 2009 REVIEW

by Chuck from Pensacola, Florida | November 19, 2010

Sold my 2007 Honda Accord EX and replaced the car w. the FEH 2009 and have not been disappointed. The quality of the FEH exceeds that of the Accord and the nice amenities make the FEH a pleasure to drive. I would recommend you buy a FEH that is 2009 or newer. The 2009 FEH's have anti-roll software standard and result in a safer ride and lower insurance rates. I am a conservative driver and get 34.5 mpg City (w/o air), 31 mpg Highway, and around 32 mpg city with air on. I have manually tracked my mileage the old fashioned way (notebook & calculator) and compared the result to the car's on-board computer where the difference in mileage turned out to be 0.1 mpg! So the on-board mileage computer has been fairly accurate. I would not recommend buying a FEH w/o Ford Synch (Voice Recognition System). You would miss out on a ton of fun: hands-free dialing, Vehicle Health Reports sent to the internet using your bluetooth enabled phone, USB port for iPod (or musical USB digital device), and the ability to manipulate music (satellite, CD, iPod) hands free! Additionally, updating the FEH Synch software is really easy which allows those with minimal technical knowledge to do the updates vice the dealer -- easy downloads. My FEH has less rattles than the Accord, more features (outside air temp., low tire pressure warning system, and the music system along with satellite radio) that really makes driving fun. One quirk when purchasing the car was the horn was disconnected. At first I though the horn was broke but after playing with the fuses and doing some internet Googling I found out that many people did not like the horn beeping when the lock function was exercised via the remote. I missed my horn and had my mechanic reconnect the plug-in wiring. Their are two negative issues to unplugging the horn: 1) You cannot warn other cars, pedestrians, or small children that may veer into your path and 2) if you have a door ajar and use the lock function you will leave your car vulnerable to theft due to no horn sound. If you had the horn operational, you would notice the horn not working and correct the ajar (unlocked) door. Great car will by another after this one gets it's 150K miles of use. The engine seems rock solid and the transition from engine to electric and back is virtually unnoticeable, Ford's design of the transmission system is superb and apparently works significantly better than other hybrids in it's class. Many of the reviews I have read indicate that the FEH's do not do well in extremely cold weather, so be advised this is a moderate to warm climate vehicle. With gas prices on the rise, I do not regret my purchase of the FEH. My calculations indicate about three years will be required (due to higher mpg) to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid batteries vice a gas engine model. Searching www.cars.com and other internet sites revealed the FEH is a desired car. My car search took 3 months to locate a car with my desired features. Delivery for a new vehicle was taking around 6 months or longer and the dealers were not negotiating to my satisfaction, so I decided to go used. Hope this helps you in your decision to buy a FEH 2009 or newer!

Great Car

by mjp from River Falls, WI | October 30, 2010

I love my new Ford Escape Hybrid. Great gas mileage. Breaks are very good. Sirius radio is a nice feature.

Great car!

by Two Hybrids from Tremont, Il | October 25, 2010

4WD Fuel economy is about what was expected (27-32 range). That is mostly highway driving. Overall average mpg is about 29, 30+ if you stay in a low speed range more and keep off the high speed accelleration. This isn't like the Prius which shuts off when you let off the accellerator. The engine will stay on, but the owner's manual says it is not using any gas (not sure that's true). True mpg is about -1 mpg from the stated computer readout. Quick accelleration, good tires. The 4wd drive model is not AWD, but will activate the rear wheels when needed. Has traction control. Don't expect to tow anything behind this car. There is a tow package, but it is only for the regular Escape. The Sync system works for the most part. Bluetooth phone link is handy. USB plug in and line in automatically detected by system. Controls on steering wheel for volume, tracks, cruise, phone. All in all, great car. 4WD and traction control will come in handy in the winter.

I love this SUV

by Nick from San Francisco | August 1, 2010

This is my first American car- usually I own Toyotas or Hondas. I've had it for a year and a half, and so far no maintenance at all. (Just changed the oil at 7,500 miles as recommended by manufacturer, this and all other maintenance is covered by the great extended warranty, and get free premium tires for life). I got the highest one you can get- leather interior, SYNC computer system, sunroof, AWD, lojack, clearcoat and protection in interior, and many extras. My friends love it and always comment on how nice it is when they first see it. Many think I have a Lincoln Navagator, even though it's smaller, just because of the nice interior (which was also upgrated with a shiny black console). I live in San Francisco which is very hilly, so I don't get to take advantage of the hybrid feature much but my average fuel economy is 26 mi/gallon, which is good for an SUV. The handling is as expected for an SUV....if you approach curves you feel the need to slow down quite a bit, although it has vehicle stability control. I'd buy a Ford again, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

My MPG is GREAT!!

by Jedi Frank from philadelphia, Pa. | May 23, 2010

My 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid has deliverd as promissed. Around 27 MPG combined has made my trips to the pump less often and the Sync system is great also.

Featured Services for this Ford Escape Hybrid