2002 Ford Escape

Available in 14 styles:  2002 Ford Escape 4dr FWD shown

Overall

LOVE THIS SUV

by navyman21 from West Chester PA | July 18, 2014

I have owned this XLT front wheel drive SUV since 2002. I have over 150k on the original V6 engine. I have had NO major repairs, no rust. I change the breaks, oil and rotors when needed. This SUV owes me NOTHING! To this day it is still running strong. If you do your general maintenance, all should be fine. ENJOY!

Awesome Car

by OldBlue from | February 9, 2014

The only way that this car is possibly NOT is the epitome of mankind's achievements is if the car sprouted from the forehead of Zeus as a gift from the gods.

It's Been Great

by Discerning Consumer from San Jose, CA | December 7, 2013

We've had our 2002 Escape for 12 years now. It has been a great car. A bit noisy for long road trips, but really the only reason we are finally going to replace it is to get the improved safety features on a new car. The car is fast, handles well, looks better than any other small SUV (including the new Escape), stops fast, has great visibility, and is easy to drive & park in crowded areas. Reliability has been good, but not outstanding. Never an urgent problem, but we've had to spend about $800-900 on it three different times, other than that, just regular maintenance and a few little things here and there (like a broken A/C knob for $11 a few months ago). That's not too bad over 12 years. No ridiculously expensive "maintenance" items like some manufacturers require to make reliability seem better by requiring major parts replacements or repairs under the guise of regular maintenance instead of waiting until something needs to be done. The 201 horsepower is really nice for a vehicle this size. Too bad the newer small SUV's are mostly only around 170-176 horsepower.

great car

by catfish from Monongahela, Pa. | November 5, 2013

Much better gas mileage than my conversion van. Comfortable seating all the way around. Runs great. Room inside to haul groceries, or pack in some luggage for a road trip. the roof rack is great for extra luggage.

Great car. but.....

by Ol' Yeller from Boston | August 13, 2013

....its a bit long in the tooth. The weak link is the transmission that was finally upgraded in 2004. If someone changed the tranny fluid every 30K miles then this is a winner. Beware that the gas mileage is horrible. You will only get 15-17, with 20 tops on pure highway driving. But this price is fair. These are rust buckets, so look out for cheap rust repair jobs.

Worst car EVER!!!

by Harley2012 from danvers, massachusetts | August 11, 2013

I really liked the syle and performance of this car when I test drove it. What a shock to me that a year later it turned into the worst vehicular-nightmare that I've ever encountered. After spending my life savings on a catalytic coverter, I find out that the coils are garbage and...oh yeah, it's a ford so it's needs a new front end and won't pass inspection. Thanks Ford! Thanks for taking a once great company and driving it into the ground.

Great SUV for the value

by Corvette Lover from Park City, UT | June 9, 2013

We have really enjoyed this vehicle. It is fun to drive and handles well in the snow. The exterior styling is sporty and says "Hey, let's go play!".

Just what I wanted

by Cmper from Philadelphia | March 16, 2013

I bought this car used about a month ago. It handles better than other suv's that I've driven. My Escape is manual. The gears are smooth and the pick up is good. I bought this car to take camping in the mountains. Our first trip is next month. I can't wait.Downside is gas mileage.I live in the city.

Just what I wanted

by Falcon dad from Arizona | January 28, 2013

Nice, very strong V6, lots of space, nice interior, everything where you would expect it to be. Got the XLT with every option, tow pkg, roof rack, sun roof, power everything, 4 whl drive. Just wish the gas mileage was better, currently getting about 21 mpg overall.

Very nice vehicle!!! Love the power of the V6.

by mdntblu from Corona, CA | January 8, 2013

I owned a first year Escape (2001) and drove it until almost 100,000 miles and never had a single issue with it. Over 10 years later I decided to buy another one because we were in need of another vehicle. I found a great deal on a 4X4 version with leather, moonroof, Mach 6 stereo, etc. Very nice car. Love the power of the V6 and the gas mileage is moderate. Would highly recommend this vehicle to a family just starting out and has or is having children. Very safe cars.

Featured Services for this Ford Escape