2003 Ford Escape

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Just Keeps Going

by JDT from Indianapolis | August 8, 2013

This is by far the best vehicle I have owned. Just turned over 304,000 miles with no transmission issues. It is my daily driver. I am averaging 25.4 mpg on my commute. Besides the items that normally need to be replaced, I have replaced O2 sensors, tie rod ends, and some gaskets. That is all. One complaint, the Duratec motors are very expensive to work on due to the amount of labor involved. For example, it cost $265 in labor alone to replace the spark plugs. Overall, a great vehicle that will haul many larger items. I will purchase another one when this one goes.

Best Model of Ford

by First Car Rookie from South Bend | July 9, 2013

I knew an Escape was a good choice as soon as I started looking in the market. I see at least 10 every day I am on the road, and they've been around a while, so I know people like them. There were only a few for sale, which told me people never want to return them. A family member of mine owns an Escape as well and loves it. I love it and can't wait to get a full life out of it. I full except to get another 10 years at least. Best model of SUV Ford has every produced.

Good vehicle, except for......

by SuperDave from Bristol, CT | July 9, 2013

I owned one of these. Although very reliable keep in mind: 1. Extremely poor gas mileage. Just its nature. Expect 15-17 mpg. Ford fixed that in 2004. 2. Very poor transmission. It has been an issue for years. Ford fixed the problem in 2004. It will not last much longer than 100K miles. After that, you are on borrowed time. 3. This was in response to "no rust" in one ad. These are rust buckets. Be wary of quickie rust fixups. 4. Finally, I saw this listed in June 2013 with 126K miles at $8K. This car books for $5K-$5.5K. IT IS NOT WORTH OVER 6K!

Unreliable...

by normT from Virginia | March 18, 2013

Most unreliable car I've owned. Three or four recalls, left me stranded on road twice, regular electrical system issues and electric hatch lock sticks locked when I need the back area the most. When the vehicle is working it is OK, just never seems to be working. Won't buy another Ford product.

2003 Ford Escape V6

by Fran from California | February 26, 2013

This car gave me such excellent performance that I would not settle for any other car when it was wrecked and the insurance totalled it out!! I searched and searched for another like it and finally found one with the same mileage!! It is a great car!!

Lots of problems

by Escape fan from Mcewen, Tn | October 26, 2012

Clanking noise over bumps. Motor mounts broken,radio dead, auto door locks dead, hood coating peeling

03' Escape

by Luke S from St. Louis, MO | July 1, 2012

I got this car as a hand-me-down from my dad when I went off to college. It served him well for the first 130k miles but when I got it things started going wrong. I have had the same problem 3 times where after starting the car up it immediately dies with no stuttering or anything. I've taken it in to 3 different repair shops and no one has been able to fix it. I'm not at 141k and thinking it's time go give it up. It has had a nice long life though. Worked well in the winter, off roads, and on the highway. The gas milage wasn't great though, only around 21 city/highway.

03 Escape

by Allan O from Kent, Ohio | May 24, 2011

Was looking for an Explorer but opted for this 03 Escape because of $4 gas. Has same amount of front seat room as our old Explorer but with expected amount less room in back. This small v6 has surprising amount of pep. We've rented one before and have had this one for about 5 weeks and we're still happy.

good suv and great on gas

by samy from indianapolis | April 15, 2011

best suv ever.good on gas great 4x4.fun to drive,great on snow.had one before for 5 years and i am looking to get a newer model this year

03 XLT

by loveyellow. from wisconsin. | March 9, 2011

i bought my yellow escape XLT in may of 2010, with 64k on it, i always wanted one, especially yellow, so i bought one for myself. i didn't even have it two months, and it completely broke down two hours away from home...thank god, i got every warranty possible on the car.... after everything was fixed and taken care of (the car had an apparent recall part...), the performance is muuuch better. it's quick and fun. good for road trips (took it to florida and back) and hauling whatever i need. it now has 75k on it, and hasn't let me down at all, it's easy to manage, it's okay on gas. overall, definitely happy with the car (:

Featured Services for this Ford Escape