2004 Ford Escape

Available in 7 styles:  2004 Ford Escape FWD shown

Overall

'04 escape

by old betsie from NW INDIANA | March 24, 2014

Ive had mine since day 1. Only owner. She has been all over with me. She has 197000 miles on her & except to tierods & ball joints 2xs the last 3yrs she has never given me any issues. Here's to 10 more yrs!!!

rackmaster

by rackmaster from Hatboro, PA | October 29, 2013

The locking differential on the 2004 model was exactly what I needed to go through deep loose sand last weekend. I saw AWD versions of vehicles and those with less than 7 1/2" ground clearance dug in and stuck so badly they had to be shoveled and pulled out. This is why I had to have a 2004 with the ability to lock the 4WD. Later models only have a viscous coupling that will send 25% power to the rear wheels not a true 50/50 sharing of 4WD power and it has to heat up and start slipping first before it engages. The locking 4WD is better because it does not slip at all and keeps going even through the deepest loose sand. The only Escape new that may be able to handle deep beach sand driving is the new 2013 which is fully electronic. The only drawback to that is it has reduced ground clearance and may drag more than the 2004. I did not have the money to spend on a new one so this 2004 with only 54k miles was the right choice for me. I am completely satisfied as I drove through deep sand where others got stuck. I also got 22 mpg on the highway with the 4 speed overdrive automatic transmission. I have plenty of on and off road trips planned for this fall. I can't wait.

Uses car for Off-roading

9 Years And Still Happy

by Mr. Aloha from Honolulu | October 17, 2012

Bought new in Nov03. New transmission installed in 2010 after 60,000 miles. Other than that, I haven't had any major issues with it. I tie my surfboards to the top and it's off to the beach!!! It's convenient for transporting my three dogs if I lower the back seats. I couldn't be happier with my Escape XLT.

Comfortable, durable and works hard

by Loving my first car!! from Houston, TX | September 15, 2012

It's my first car and I couldn't be happier!! The escape drives smoothly and has plenty of power with its v6 engine. I've used it for transporting large and heavy objects and I can't even feel the weight wheni drive. Wonderful car for an amazing value.

2004 escape limited

by eddie from | July 26, 2012

I like it overall but the milage isn't all that good 18-21 I was told I might get better but its not that bad for a four wheel drive

you see..

by formerfordescaper from cumming, ga | July 5, 2012

I had a 2004 ford escape. I absolutely loved it! The gas mileage was great, the way it handled back roads was great even though it wasnt four wheel drive, it was a smooth ride and i didnt have any problems with it really except for when the serpentine belt broke. I loved the car..except one day I was going down my very curvy long driveway and was going about 25mph slammed on the breaks and met my moms jeep commander...needless to say since the radiator is in front of the engine so it busted and lifted the radiator upwards into my engine and it also broke the front main frame and they also considered the car totaled even though the air bag didn't even deploy. it made me wonder what would have happened if i would have been going down the highway going more than 25 mph and i would have wrecked..so that being said this may not be a car for a new driver or anything, at least check the safety ratings before hand and consider the fact a fender bender may total it out. . .

NICE RUNNING SUV

by BK from JOHNSTOWN,PA | June 2, 2012

It has always been a good car for me and its going on 8 years. I had to replace the front axel due to the gear that drives the anti lock brakes cracking. This repair was $350 which was not bad in my eyes. I do routine oil changes and have had all the other fluids changed once, including the brake fluid. NICE LITTLE SUV...

04 Ford escape XLT 4WD 3.0 Ltr

by Blackhawk Inc. from Lexington KY | November 28, 2011

Its a gutsy little SUV with plenty of power and pick up. I was surprised and how quickly it accelerates . I am 6'4" and it fits me just fine. Gas milieage is around 16 mpg in town

Great Car !

by Tae from Cincinnati, Ohio | September 11, 2011

We purchased our 2004 Ford Escape in November of 2010 and we love it ! It is great in the snow even though ours is FWD . Ours is the XLT model and it is nicely equipped with a 6 disk cd player and a moon/sun roof ! We also have the 201 HP 3.0 V6 . It has a lot of pep in its step and has great passing power on the highway ! It is very comforatable with the cloth seats . It heats up very fast on cold winter mornings too . The only complaint is that the steering wheel doenst tilt up enough even in the highest position . But overall it is a Fantastic car !

Perfect little pepper

by DRE from Columbus, Ohio | March 24, 2011

Bought this car new in 2004 and have been thrilled with it from day one. I have the 6 cyl which is not the best on gas, but it gives you that pep that I want when I'm driving on the highways. I've been thinking about a new car for a while now, but it always comes back to I can't bring myself to get rid of the Escape.