2006 Ford Escape

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great midsize SUV

by Pleased Dad from Virginia Beach, VA | February 14, 2014

Bought a 2006 Escape as a first vehicle for my 16-year-old daughter. She is thrilled. This one has the optional V6 powertrain, so there is no shortage of pickup but gas mileage appears to be good for a vehicle of this weight. The interior has the leather upgrade, which adds to comfort. The size is just right -- she has plenty of cargo space when needed, but it is not so large that parking and visibility become issues. We are looking forward to many years of service.

Great car, great style, super practical

by Robby C from Los Angeles, CA | April 30, 2012

I purchased this car while living in Los Angeles. I need a car that was comfortable to drive, had decent pickup and was utility enough to get me to the mountains or the beach. Walking into the Ford dealership I had my eye on the SportsTrack, but the Escape better suited my needs and budget, so I went with it. I owned this car for just over 5 years. I loved it. The only maintenance I performed was very minor, like pads and rotors. It was a dream to drive around LA and surrounding beach, desert and mountainous areas. It was my friends and I go-to on any trip. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a compact SUV! I miss it!

Great little SUV

by Lori from Lakewood, CO | December 22, 2011

I also own an older Explorer and was skeptical about downsizing. Bought this '06 used with 88K miles on it, but it seems brand new. Other than the wonky radio others have reported (volume issues), it has held up great over the miles. Rides more like a car than an SUV, and the clearance might be better for those of us in snow country. But, the mileage is great at 24 mpg, mixed driving. The four cylinders are not wimpy, and has plenty of spunk. Glad to see Ford still makes a stick shift as well - makes drivng so much more fun. Hope to put on another 100K.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Good Car, but uncomfortable

by sub7sara from Iowa | November 21, 2011

I have enjoyed my Escape. I have a 4WD and that was very helpful in Montana. One bad thing is that is an automatic 4WD which means the car will shift into 4WD when it thinks it is necessary. This car gets decent gas mileage for its size. The car is very uncomfortable to ride in. The seats are stiff and I can feel many of the bumps in the road (I'm 21 and should be able to handle rough rides, but I can't stand my Escape's seats.) This is a great car, but if you are looking for a comfortable car don't go for this one.

Not to bad

by JD from Rochester, ny | October 31, 2011

So far been driving my escape for 3 months. The seats are not very comfortable in my opinion. she handles and drives very s mooth but the gas mileage is not what I was hoping for. It hasa very small tank so even though your getting over 21 per gallon your still filling up around 300 miles. One other issue is the back trunk carpet. It does not stay secure to the floor. All and all not to bad of a vehicle. Waiting for the snow to start to see how the 4x4 does.

Not perfect but Pretty Good all around

by Plasticman from NC | October 20, 2011

Right amount of room to haul stuff around on. My canoe goes on top easily. Small enough to get decent gas mileage while carrying 4-5 people. It is not fancy but does the job. A no nonsense performer. I am impressed with it's simple functionality.

More power and better mpg than my 96 Explorer

by Ford enthusiast, Buy American from AZ | May 17, 2011

So far so good. I've only had it for two months. Excellent hwy mpg @25 for 780 mile trip! Average speed on that trip was 70+mph.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Ford Escape

by bubba from kansas | April 28, 2011

Have owned two Ford Escapes. They are wonderful SUV's. There are great in the snow and mud. Gas mileage is pretty good at 28 mpg on the highway. My niece just bought a 2011 Escape for the gas mileage. she had a dodge nitro. (that was a waste of money). The biggest reason I love Ford's is that Ford didn't take any BAIL OUT MONEY from our government.

love it

by escape23 from cincinnati, ohio | April 26, 2011

i like this car alot, it offers both style and efficiency.I am only 17 years old and i have been driving this car since i was 16 and i absolutely love, I especially love that with the push of a button you can review all of the vehicles stats such as fuel economy, instant economy, and fuel efficiency.

An Overall Good Vehicle

by Student from Louisville, KY | April 23, 2011

The Ford Escape has been a great vehicle for my busy lifestyle. I often have to haul large amounts of supplies for work and the cargo space is more than sufficient and easy to access. The back seats are also easy to fold up and down to create enough room to carry some furniture, like dressers and desks. The gas mileage is pretty good for highways. My Escape is a V6 with FWD and I average 25 mpg. However city mileage is less than I would like, averaging 15-18 mpg. The vehicle is a bit noisy on the highway, but I often don't notice it when playing music. It's also not very comfortable when driving more than a few hours. The Escape handles like a car and is easy to maneuver. I didn't have any problems when I drove it in the snow and was able to get up some hills that other cars weren't able to handle. Overall I love the Ford Escape and would recommend it to my friends.