2009 Ford Escape

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Solid, reliable small SUV

by RetiredGuns from Midwest | November 29, 2012

This '09 is our second Escape. I wanted the '09 because of the new motor with more power and a tad bit better mileage. So far it's been a great vehicle. We've had other small SUVs but the Escape is right for us. Not as cushy as some others with more a truck-like feel but that is what we like. The seats are a bit hard/stiff but not uncomfortable. The performance is really good while maintaining an average of almost 23mpg. We figure this might be the last SUV with the styling we enjoy until we are forced into buying one of the newer "Jellybean" styled SUVs all the makers are going to. If it is like our last Escape it will also be very good in the snow.

Great 4x4

by Excape from Cleveland Ohio | September 10, 2012

I really like the 2009 Ford Escape I recently purchased. I love how smooth it rides - its interior is cool - sunroof & moonroof is very easy to use. The only negative is the sync system - needs an update that has to be done by the dealer at $125.00! Ripoff

another great escape

by Ex car salesman, 11 years from peoria,il | June 11, 2012

This escape, 4cyc, 6spd, xlt replaced a 2007 xlt v6 escape that I bought new. This 4cyc/6spd combo is almost as sprightly as the v6, but much better mileage, and still as fun to drive. My 2007 was totalled in a t-bone crash in which neither myself(driver) nor wife passenger(frac wrist) suffered any crash problems. Would not have upyeared but for the accident, BUT WE REALLY LIKE THE NEWER MODEL, which was the same trim level.

I deserved this

by Escapee Bob from Western MA | June 4, 2012

I bought a 09 Escape Limited with a V6 and AWD. It was a great decision, I absolutely love it. There are so many little extras to make my time in the car enjoyable. I work hard and it was nice to get a few creature comforts for just me. It has more than ample power, handles exceptional and I'm getting 23.8 MPG in mixed commuting. One drawback would be the steps necessary to drop the rear seats, but how often do you do that right? Overall, it's a winner!

most impressive

by Leisurely lady from Phoenix, AZ | February 14, 2012

I have been extremely impressed with this vehicle. The only thing I have noticed is that it takes a second to respond when you try to accellerate so I don't take chances. Very comfortable, I didn't get the loaded version but still very nice. The axle seal did need to be replaced under warranty, and I had no problem after that. Very satisfied

5thford

by iluvfords from HINES,OREGON | June 22, 2011

I HAD CASH TO BUY A NEW CAR, I HAVE ALWAYS OWNED FORDS. I CHOSE THE ESCAPE, BECAUSE IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL SUV. IT IS SO COMFORTABLE TO RIDE AND DRIVE. NOT TO MENTION THE FUEL ECONOMY IS GREAT! I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE TOMORROW! THE ONLY THING I HAVE FOUND THAT IS A PAIN, THE TRUNK HAS IT'S OWN ELECTRIC MOTOR AND IS THE ONLY WAY TO OPEN THE TRUNK. MINE BURNT OUT BECAUSE THE PLASTIC FROM MANUFACTURER WAS WRAPPED IN MOTOR SO IT WAS RUNNING CONSTANTLY AND IT BLEW THE LITTLE MOTOR> OTHERWISE I AM A PROUD ESCAPE OWNER!

LemonAID!!!

by BG from 919 | December 3, 2010

Transmition has been worked on 5 times. Thank goodness that we had an extended warranty. This may have turned us off Ford's forever

Great Value for the $$

by pricklypear from Fort Wayne, IN. | November 29, 2010

Purchased the car used with 30K miles- only warranty issue was a squeaky liftgate, and noise from the front disc brake promptly fixed by the local dealer under the remaining warranty. Drove 2500 miles across the country and the mileage averaged 27.0 with the car fully loaded. Very comfortable, and great mileage. Next will be some low-intensity off-roading in the Arizona desert to check out the 4WD.

Best Car Manufacturer Yet

by Gregor from Blue Springs, Missouri | August 20, 2010

I just bought a Ford Edge for my wife and a Taurus for myself. I liked the Escape, but the Edge even more. So, I went with the Edge. I drive the Taurus and love it. Ford is without a doubt the best car manufacturer.

Great Ride

by Toyota Convert from Washington, DC | July 12, 2010

The car buying ordeal was a nightmare, but despite the dealer doing everything they could to leave a lasting, bitter taste in my mouth, the Escape is wonderful. The gas mileage is outstanding -- 24 mpg highway in real driving conditions, 19 city. The cargo space is unbeatable and everything is easily accessible. The one complaint with options is the glove box space is lacking compared to the Toyota Celica I had been driving for years, but that is now an issue in all cars with passenger side airbags. There are a few annoying features, for instance, the interior lights stay on for an extended period after you get out of the vehicle before they dim so if you have turned on a dome light and can't remember if it's on the on or off position, you have to lock the door then stand and wait for what seems forever to watch to see if the dome lights are out. This setting, unlike most others, cannot be changed. Another issue is when you fold down the rear seat to make cargo space, the three rear seat headrests do not tuck away, which means they are now placed in the cargo area in additon to the cargo. would have liked a storage space for these. Also, the Escape does not handle as well as my Toyota Celica did, but it handles much better than other SUV's, including Jeep, Toyota, Honda and Subaru. With any non-Hyundai/Kia, the car is overpriced, but so far I am very happy with the reliability, looks, handling, etc. The vehicle is 1.5 years old with 16,000 miles and some long road trips. I bought the Escape as I am an avid triathlete, golfer and soccer player so am often carting around bikes, clubs and wet clothing. The Escape is easy to load and unload from the rear and side doors, and also has a handy wet gear storage area in the cargo space for things like wet clothes so they don't have to sit on the carpeted floor and lead to smelly carpet later. Love the vehicle and am very glad I finally gave up the Toyota.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)