The Escape is Ford's smallest crossover SUV. It seats five and gains a new self-parking system for 2010.The Escape's competition includes the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V and Saturn Vue. There is an Escape Hybrid available that's listed separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2010
For 2010, the Escape gets a variety of new features, including a self-parking option.
The Escape looks more like a Ford Explorer now, but with a plunging chrome grille in some trim levels that would be equally at home on a Volkswagen Jetta or Golf. A raised hood and high beltline may make the SUV look tougher, but they probably don't do much for visibility.
- Fuel cap removed in favor of capless refueling nozzle
- 16- or 17-inch wheels
- Blind-spot display in side mirrors
The Escape seats five in two rows of seats. The rear seat is split 60/40 and can be folded down to increase cargo space. Ford's optional voice-activated Sync multimedia system now includes traffic and weather information.
- Standard cruise control
- Available ambient lighting
- Available Sync multimedia interface
- Standard MP3 jack
- Blue backlighting
- Available rearview camera, displayed in navigation system or rearview mirror
Under the Hood
The new self-parking system handles all the steering required for parallel parking. The driver must still shift the transmission into gear, as well as operate the gas and brake pedals. The driver can also override the system and steer the car if needed.
- 171-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder (171 pounds-feet of torque)
- 240-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 (223 pounds-feet of torque)
- Available six-speed automatic transmission
- Available five-speed manual
- Drive-by-wire throttle control
For 2010, the Escape gets MyKey, which allows owners to create settings specific for teen drivers, such as setting a top speed limit, maximum stereo volume and alerts if the driver goes faster than 45 mph.
- Standard electronic stability system
- Antilock brakes
- Roll stability control
- Dual-stage front airbags
- Front-seat-mounted side-impact airbags and side curtain airbags
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Joe Wiesenfelder||Cars.com National||December 30, 2009|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||July 31, 2009|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Ford Escape
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.