1995 Ford Escort

See Photos & Videos

Overall

good car for price

by rick from Pine Bluff, Arkansas | May 24, 2014

Bought car new in Feb 95. Currently have 467,000 miles. Great gas mileage. Still average about between 30-38 miles per gallon. Front and rear bumper damaged but still runs.

luv my escort

by rich taste poor pocketbook from Charleston, WV | October 11, 2011

I have never had any problem with my escort. Only the brakes,tires, muffler & wiper blades have been replaced since it was new! I can honestly I expect it to last for several more years. Lots of room in trunk. I can't believe it's 16 years old & runs like new!!! I have had several people try to buy it but it's not for sale. great gas milage.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, but no need

by Escort Fanatic from Chicago | March 3, 2011

It wasn't surprising to learn the writer associated with this review, who compared the Escort with a Toyota and Hyundai, ranked the Escort as his choice. He correctly identified all of the admirable features, including the comfort factor during long distance drives. The ride is impressive for an economy car, particularly if you replace struts and springs every 70,000. The humble Ford Escort is listed amoung the "best used cars" in my 2004 buying guide, alongside Acura, Lexus, Honda, and Toyotas. I remain unsure why the 1995/1996 received dings for cooling, electrical and brakes categories since I haven't had any issues. I am the second owner of this LX hatchback purchased in 2001 and have enjoyed 10 years of reliable transportation during 100,000 miles. Total mileage is now 169,000 with the only minor annoyance (quirky idle) surfacing when it was 10 years old with about 100,000 miles. This car has benefitted from exceptional maintenance, such as regular fluid changes (brake, PS, coolant, trans) and other preventative care. The automatic transmission, exhaust system and AC have never required servicing and the paint job has less orange peel than many newer (and costlier) cars. There have never been any annoying squeaks or rattles and owners benefits from maintence which can be performed by those with mechanical aptitude. Most recent repairs were fan blade motor replacement and coil pack. During the past 10 years I have kept detailed records of every expenditure related to owning this vehicle (fuel, maintenance, repairs, insurance, registration) and the total cost per mile is 22 cents - which includes the original vehicle cost factored in. The final cost of ownership becomes 19 to 20 cents per mile if I sold the car tomorrow, but I intend to keep this handy hatchback around for another 10 years.

Best car everrrrrr

by hugh jass from michigan | February 28, 2011

Great car it is an amazing car and it is very reliable and i would reccomend this car to anyone !!!!

Most reliable car ever owned

by Escort lover in Henderson from Henderson NV | July 18, 2010

bought new end of 94. One child took to college. My wife got rearended by a pickup and it held the road, but the bumpers were so expensive to repair, it was totaled, that was 2002. Now coming from the midwest, it was hauled out here to Vegas and goes back and forth to work. Have replaced the transmission, radiator, and alternator plus tires etc. At 156K it is still growing strong, people have drove by and left "do you want to sell" messages on it. Most reliable car I've ever owned at this high mileage. Hope my MB will do the same. Ford should have never quit making this little work horse.

great little car

by habe from Nebraska, Kansas, Pennsylvania | September 13, 2009

No bells, no whistles, hard to accelerate uphill with the AC on. Not real pretty, rides like a tin can. But It gets great gas milage. It's surprisingly great for hauling things. I've fit a wingback chair in it before, and 4 bicycles on two occasions. And I bought mine for $6000 in high school, it was my everyday, everything car for 10 years, and it went and went and went. The head gasket went once, and the rear coil springs had to be replaced twice (very annoying for something relatively unimportant on this model--thank you state regulations). It was pelted by hail, clipped on a brick corner, it stayed on the interstate in a full skid after a U-Haul pulled out in front of me, it has been pushed by a semi and backed into a tree, and it kept going. Until yesterday, that is. Wet pavement on a bad section of highway and a bridge joint made me lose traction going into a curve. I slammed into a guardrail and flipped the car when I went off the other shoulder. I crawled out the smouldering carcass with my only injury a sore hand. I love you Escort. You will be missed.

Most Value/Mileage for your money

by 2nd_gen_ford_owner from Rocklin, Ca | December 18, 2008

In July of 2007, I was ready to buy my first car. I was driving past a shopping mall parking lot and saw a '95 Ford Escort for sale. now, seeing as my mother would never shut-up about all the good times she had in her '87 Escort, I figured it was worth a try... I ended up buying her for a mere $775 which to my luck was $500 under my budget! I have owned her for a year and a half now and I can honestly say I cannot be more pleased with a ford product, why Escorts aren't in production anymore is beyond me. Especially since i'm achieving at least 30 MPG in town and between 36 and 41 MPG on the highway with several people accompanying me most trips. My next car will probably be the 2011 Ford Fiesta only because I wouldnt dare part with her until i have at least 200,000 miles attained. BOTTOM LINE: Great first car, excellent and even out-standing mileage, as good or better reliability than a Toyota or Honda but higher safety ratings. My advice, BUY BUY BUY! You wont be disappointed.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by escort lover from hampton county | August 4, 2008

this car is the best car to depend on when you need to get some place. this car is good for 1st time drivers. this is the best car i've had yet. and i have a 2006 chevy impala and a 1999 honda civic

I would like a new car

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Washington | February 20, 2008

It is a relatively good car. I paid about $3500 for mine and it has been relatively good for me. it starts all the time and is very cheap on fuel. It is very small though and the colour that i have it in, light green, is not the most desirable. it isnt the worst looking vehicle in the world but it could be alot nicer.

surprisingly good really cheap car

by dadi from buffalo, ny | June 19, 2007

i bought the thing cheap, cause all i needed was a little, cheap to buy, cheap to own, easy to park in malls and downtown, get me through traffic, car. 88 hp isn't much, but with good tires, i don't slow down much, and have no trouble staying with (and frequently passing and driving away from) traffic. the ONLY bad thing is that it isn't a long distance cruiser, but that's only because its buzzy at the 70 mph cruise it does. but at 40 mpg at 70, i only complain after an hour or so. and being the lightest car on the road makes me pay a lot more attention to what's going on around me. could easily do worse than this.

Featured Services for this Ford Escort