1997 Ford Escort

28 city / 37.2 hwy

Overall

Few issues with 2L

by Mal from Montello Wisconsin | March 25, 2014

I bought mine used with 180k roughly.Ive had it for almost a year and put on nearly 10k. So far the only things i had to replace have been regular wear and tear. Mostly brake related. The manual addition of this car is one of the best i have ever owned.

97 Ford Escort Wagon

by refugee13 from Racine WI | January 13, 2014

I bought this car (LX station wagon) in 2011...for $1800. Thought I got a good car until the valve dropped onto the piston (the first time)...cost 1500 to fix the first one...6 months later another valve dropped which cost me another 500 to get fixed...so I have basically bought the car twice...roomy, good gas mileage but I will never buy another Escort...found out after the fact that they are notorious for dropping valves...

fuel economy and roomy

by stilson04 from Ypsilanti,Mi | March 1, 2013

small 2.0 engine which brings fuel efficiency yet cargo space of a station wagon. This is a nice family car.

lemon

by gearhead from Santa Maria Ca. | September 11, 2012

I bought this car three months ago for my daughter when she went away to college. (I am a mechanic) It had 100000 miles on it, looked immaculate. One month later the tranny went out. As she was far away, we had a trans shop replace it.($1600) She drove it home for Easter break and it promptly dropped a valve seat in no. 4 cylinder, destroying the engine. It is now torn down in my garage with the engine block at the machine shop for a re-bore. The parts alone for this latest go-round cost over $1000. (My labor is "free"). On line I have discovered that this engine is notorious for dropping valve seats. I guess that FORD really does stand for "fix or repair daily.

'97 escort reaches perfection and is retired

by blue ridge naturalist from Ferrum, Virginia | February 1, 2012

'97 and later model escorts with the 2.0 L engine were the acme that earlier makes and models had achieved and been retired to the dustbin. The standard transmission gives better mileage 35-40 than the automatic 26-32. Other models of perfection, imo, included the '63 ford falcon and the '83 honda civic. I've had '83, '88, '93, and '95 escorts before these. The '80's models wouldn't go past 140k without head (gasket) failure. '90's models won't die.

GOOD FOR PRICE

by KATEYGIRL7 from FITZWILLIAM ,NH | January 23, 2012

BUT NEEDED SOME WORK, KNOWN BEFORE PUCHASE. GOOD WINTER CAR,GOOD ON GAS.HAD SOME RUST ISSUES BUT WERE A CHEAP FIX TO PASS INSPECTION.NO PROBLEM WITH THIS SALE OR FACILITY.

Love my 97' Escort Wagon

by Michigangal from NE Michigan | January 23, 2012

I purchased this vehicle used about 8 weeks ago with about 55K miles! There is absolutely no rust on the body which is saying a lot since it's been in Michigan it's entire life-time! I could not be happier with this car; low fuel cost, low insurance rates plus affordable maintenance and repair costs of this model! I will have this baby until its retired. Love it!

Cute!

by Cnfsd91 from Mokena, IL | August 23, 2011

I went from a jeep to an escort and at first I felt like I was driving a go cart but now I'm used to it and I LOVE it! The mpg is awesome and its pretty low maintenance. Definitely a great college car!

Its like driving the Energizer Bunny

by Escort lover from Joplin, MO | July 30, 2011

I bought this car 9 years ago with 103,000 miles for $3000. It has 255,000+ miles on it and it still is running strong. I just now had to replace the clutch, but other than that, I have not had any real problems with the car. I still trust it more than cars with half the miles and it still gets 30+ miles per gallon in combined city/highway driving. You don't get better value than that!!!

Gas Saver

by car_fan7 from Chicago, IL | December 28, 2010

This is a good starter car, i learned how to drive with the Ford Escort. ~Good gas mileage ~Compact ( so it's easy to park) ~Very reliable ~Good acceleration ~Easy to handle ~Easy maintenance (parts are usually affordable) Just take good care of the car and it should be very good to you; I've put a very good amount of miles in the car and it shows no sign of breaking down.

Featured Services for this Ford Escort