1997 Ford Escort

28 city / 37.2 hwy

Overall

Best car I've ever had

by scooter from Jamestown, ND | May 9, 2015

I've had this car for 10 years and have 202000 miles on it & have only done minor repairs that were needed on any make & model car. I will be buying another Ford Escort when this one goes to car heaven.

Best Car Ever Owned!

by Old Red from Oregon | April 25, 2015

I bought my 1997 Escort in 2000 with 39,250 miles on it and there has been small repairs to do but over all this car has been Awesome. I have had it 15 years it has been to seven states and it just finally blew a valve at 336,000. First time it ever got towed and it has never left me stranded. I have taken really good care of it I do oil, spark plug, fuel filters, air filters at home. I took care of it and it took care of me! I would continue buying same care and same make and models if I could for the rest of my life!

Few issues with 2L

by Mal from Montello Wisconsin | March 25, 2014

I bought mine used with 180k roughly.Ive had it for almost a year and put on nearly 10k. So far the only things i had to replace have been regular wear and tear. Mostly brake related. The manual addition of this car is one of the best i have ever owned.

97 Ford Escort Wagon

by refugee13 from Racine WI | January 13, 2014

I bought this car (LX station wagon) in 2011...for $1800. Thought I got a good car until the valve dropped onto the piston (the first time)...cost 1500 to fix the first one...6 months later another valve dropped which cost me another 500 to get fixed...so I have basically bought the car twice...roomy, good gas mileage but I will never buy another Escort...found out after the fact that they are notorious for dropping valves...

fuel economy and roomy

by stilson04 from Ypsilanti,Mi | March 1, 2013

small 2.0 engine which brings fuel efficiency yet cargo space of a station wagon. This is a nice family car.

lemon

by gearhead from Santa Maria Ca. | September 11, 2012

I bought this car three months ago for my daughter when she went away to college. (I am a mechanic) It had 100000 miles on it, looked immaculate. One month later the tranny went out. As she was far away, we had a trans shop replace it.($1600) She drove it home for Easter break and it promptly dropped a valve seat in no. 4 cylinder, destroying the engine. It is now torn down in my garage with the engine block at the machine shop for a re-bore. The parts alone for this latest go-round cost over $1000. (My labor is "free"). On line I have discovered that this engine is notorious for dropping valve seats. I guess that FORD really does stand for "fix or repair daily.

'97 escort reaches perfection and is retired

by blue ridge naturalist from Ferrum, Virginia | February 1, 2012

'97 and later model escorts with the 2.0 L engine were the acme that earlier makes and models had achieved and been retired to the dustbin. The standard transmission gives better mileage 35-40 than the automatic 26-32. Other models of perfection, imo, included the '63 ford falcon and the '83 honda civic. I've had '83, '88, '93, and '95 escorts before these. The '80's models wouldn't go past 140k without head (gasket) failure. '90's models won't die.

GOOD FOR PRICE

by KATEYGIRL7 from FITZWILLIAM ,NH | January 23, 2012

BUT NEEDED SOME WORK, KNOWN BEFORE PUCHASE. GOOD WINTER CAR,GOOD ON GAS.HAD SOME RUST ISSUES BUT WERE A CHEAP FIX TO PASS INSPECTION.NO PROBLEM WITH THIS SALE OR FACILITY.

Love my 97' Escort Wagon

by Michigangal from NE Michigan | January 23, 2012

I purchased this vehicle used about 8 weeks ago with about 55K miles! There is absolutely no rust on the body which is saying a lot since it's been in Michigan it's entire life-time! I could not be happier with this car; low fuel cost, low insurance rates plus affordable maintenance and repair costs of this model! I will have this baby until its retired. Love it!

Cute!

by Cnfsd91 from Mokena, IL | August 23, 2011

I went from a jeep to an escort and at first I felt like I was driving a go cart but now I'm used to it and I LOVE it! The mpg is awesome and its pretty low maintenance. Definitely a great college car!

Featured Services for this Ford Escort