See Also: 1998.5 Ford Escort

Available in 2 styles:  Escort 2dr Coupe ZX2 shown
$431–$4,607

28 city / 38 hwy

Overall

I was very disappointed in the cars build quality.

by Davy from Midland, MI | July 19, 2014

I bought a new 1998 Ford Escort SE from a local dealership. Their service practices were pretty bad. I had to have 6 fly wheel bolts replaced under warranty at 15,000 miles, due to being installed loose at the factory, and I had to have the rack & pinion replaced at 25,000 miles, due to fluid leakage under warranty. I had 8 car stereos replaced, due to defective tape players under warranty. I had to have 1 rear seat belt replaced, due to being installed incorrectly at the factory. I had an O2 sensor fail at 26,000 miles, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty did not cover it's replacement!. I had to have the leather steering wheel replaced under warranty, due to material flaking/pealing, I also had to have the steering wheel mounted cruise control switches replaced under warranty, due to the fact that they came loose from the steering wheel assembly. The blower motor failed at 62,000 miles. The over all quality of the car was pretty bad. This car is basically a Mazda in a Ford Skin. I still have the car but, if I had know what a headache this car was going to be, I would not have bought it!

runs forever cheaply

by smalltown guy from Lebo,Kansas | July 15, 2012

I bought this car new in 98 have put one timing belt and two altnators on it other than that just gas,oil,and tires, got over 305,000 miles on it and still get 32 to 35 mpg at 75mph. I drive it about 320 miles a week

Has not given up

by Dominick from Akron OH | May 26, 2012

We recieved our Escort about a week ago and it was in terrible shape. The odometer read just over 261,000 and the seats were FILTHY. I am 13 now. I beg that it makes it three more years. People say it will not. But, the Escort is basically a Mazda Protege so I'm guessing it will. Anyway, I am planning to get it some aftermarket hubcaps. We had taken my grandmother's duct tape and make racing stripes on it. So far so good.

Excellent Car - Best in class

by 1998ZX2 from | November 16, 2011

Excellent use out of the car so far, very roomy, Mustang size interior, slick but economic. Almost to 200k miles and still going strong!

excellent car

by hemiplz from Illinois | May 16, 2011

Great little car i have a 98 zx2 escort coupe. nice amount of torque comfortable front seats rear seats are a bit tight. 150k haven't had to many issues with it have had to replace the exhaust twice but i have a lifetime warranty on it so no cost to me. fun to drive an gets decent mileage about 24 city and i am a pretty agresive driver

Too bad they don't make it anymore.

by Escort Owner from Upstate NY & WI | October 8, 2010

I bought my car 12 years ago and haven't made a paymeny in 8 years. At 100k miles i had to replace the alternator. At 130K miles I had to replace the rotors. Soon I'll replace the drive belt, though I doubt that it's really necessary. Execpt for the exhaust system (the car has spent it's life in the north where the roads are salted 1/2 the year) and the brake pads, I haven't had to invest any significant money in this car. If you're thinking about buying a used one, I highly recommend it. It's not a luxury ride, but it sure will hold up over. My main complaint is that I want a new car but can't justify buying one.

Single Mom cocoa,fl

by Debbie from cocoa,fl | January 21, 2010

I purchased my 1998 Ford escort zx2 in 2000 with about 23kmiles on it. It is a fairly comfortable car, 2 doors offered enough room to pick up my water heater one year,in the front seat, take a road rip to the mountains another year, stayed at biltmore.The fold down rear seats have inside buttons which means you do not have to open the trunk to pull a knob.Like some cars.the controls are easy to use,I like the cruise directly on the wheel not on a stick behind it. Rasio is cassetee.This car gets in and out of traffic fine, has enough pickup to get on and off ramps and passing.It has wonderful pickup,Agile but not a cheap feeling car at all. Ive driven this car 138k miles and its still going strong!The only thing Ive had to do is regular maininance timing belt serphantine belt, and brakes tires oil change and radiator.(Shocks are good so far)Motor mounts tend to go but mine are fine so far. This little car is so rugged and solid.Its like the heavy denium of all cars.Casual,sporty,and always easy to dress up with a Chrsitmas tree in winter. I've hauled so many kids to church and to the beach. Its gone camping, doe trails and gets along with all other cars.Doesnt need to lead or follow does not crib, has great tires and grill, and no bad habits. (lol)!All my Mechanics and friends say the same thing:Ford should have continued with this car! It is a strong vehile.I often wonder why they havent ...everyone loves my car, I try to get a new car now and then but i dont have the heart.For a car that is swift and never goes out of style!consider the Ford Focus zx2!

Best first car

by Moe from Toledo, OH | November 24, 2009

My 1998 Escort LX manual transmission finally died at 190,000 miles. The car had minor problems,brakes, battery etc. Besides vandalism I never really had to do any serious maintenance until it finally said enough. The alternator, tie rod, and timing belt gave out all at once and i didnt want to invest the money into fixing. Overall I loved this car and it will be missed! Great gas mileage and excellent handling

Incredible Car

by Luis from Denver | August 17, 2009

I bought 98 Manual ZX2 w/ 54,000 miles, this pass 150,000 easy, the only fix that I made, was replace a Air mass sensor, never problem, I sold for get a Focus 2004, this look modern obviously, but the performance from escort 98 zx2 was so far better, I had Zetec engine in that 98 escort, incredible, for the city or in the mountain, great performance. That was a perfect car.

Best Car Ever Invented

by HartleyGirl from Tonganoxie, KS | July 14, 2008

I STILL have my 98 Escort! It's still running like a champ! It's banged up quite a bit from a bunch of people hitting me but it's just like the Energizer bunny it keeps going, and going, and going...I don't think this car is ever going to call it quits!

Featured Services for this Ford Escort