1999 Ford Escort

$581–$5,357

Overall

Simply the Best

by Gringo in

In 2006 I decided to retire early and move to Mexico. At the time I was driving a 2005 Jaguar X type. Having visited Mexico on numerous occasions, I noticed there were a lot of Escorts so decided to look for one before I left. Eventually sold the Jag and bought a 99 Escort SE. Drove the car from Cincinnati to Guadalajara and still own the car. A real work-horse, Emma has NEVER left me stranded on the road. Maintenance cost are minimal, fuel consumption is still great at 120,000 miles and parts are available even in the smallest puebla in Mexico. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Finally a good car

by Flipper from Thornton | May 7, 2013

Just love my new car 1owner clean car one block after the test I new I was going to buy it. Went In and did all the paper work didn't have e bought money to buy. It and they let me take the car and come back in two week to pay it off

A car that I will never forget

by EscortTracer from Augusta, Maine | April 24, 2013

I bought a 1999 Escort back in 2009 as my first car. As a first car, my Escort was a car, just a car. Good things I liked were not the speed, but the amazing fuel economy. I also liked the styling. Compare it to a Cavalier or a Civic of the early 2000s, the Escort had the flair that the other cars lacked. When I bought it, the car had just over 109,000 miles. Now, four years later, it is running like a gem. Bad points, include a stylish but cheap feeling grey interior. The exhaust system costs more to get repaired than a comparable Saturn or Nissan.

Practical & Reliable

by Esmes Wheels from Chesterton, IN | December 13, 2012

I owned a '99 Escort Wagon for over 9 years. At around 145000 miles the automatic transmission gave out. Later, there was an annoying electrical problem. Nonetheless, this car never left me stranded. Over its life it gave 30.3 mpg (average). Repairs were never expensive (except the trans!).

Good everyday car, good gas mileage.

by Ford owner from Temple, TX | April 2, 2012

I've owned my 1999 Ford Escort LX for 6 years now (From 59,000 miles to 135,000) and like it. It's older now and experiencing mechanical problems due to parts wearing out (e.g. current issue is A/C compressor). It did have to have its transmission refurbished and we decided to keep it until it was dead since it cost us $3,000 (slightly less than it was worth at the time). Gas mileage in town averages 28-29. Highway 30-31 mpg. Road noise increases with speed, noticable at 60+mph. Even at 13 years old it'll do 90mph fairly easily and controls well though anything over 73+mph really kills mpgs. Good car for the do-it-yourself mechanics out there.

Super Car

by skiing architect from Oak Park, IL & Madison WI | March 23, 2011

I have a 99 Escort wagon bought new after leasing 3 Honda Civic hatchbacks. The Escort is way better, evidently thanks to Mazda design. I now have 197K milage, commute between Madison,WI and Oak Park,IL every week, hauled canoe, lumber, landscape rocks, big loads, and it is unbelievably good. The milage is at least 30 on hwy. I hope to buy another. Why did Ford discontinue and now does not offer a Focus wagon? This is the car everyone should have, economical with loads of good features. Maintenence in recent years is what I consider normal for a well-used car, including new tires which made the car much more quiet. I like the 5 sp. transmission too. Fun to drive.

Reliable

by Escort Enthusiast from Chicago | January 29, 2011

The little Escort is the best car I have ever had. I bought it 7 years ago with 63 K on it. It has now 150k and running without any problem. Not only is not leaking like other old cars, but the oil remains clean after 3k miles when I change it. The exhaust is also clean, sign that all the gas is completely burned. On highways, with a gallon of gas you can make more than 34 miles, if you keep the speed at 55 mph. Very easy and cheap to maintain. Exceptional for commuters, reliable.

best car i ever owned

by ford lover from columbia il | December 31, 2010

To put it simple I had a 99 escort zx2. It finaly died after 230,000. I road it hard every day and it took it, and it asked for more. Like the heading best car ever owned.

My First Car and I hate to sell it!!!

by SF_221 from Waunakee, WI | November 1, 2010

I have had my 99 Escort for 8 years now and I have NEVER had any major issues either. I got it from a dealer with 36K and it now has 122K and still runs like new! I am nervous about getting rid of it but have to because i bought a new Escape and can't afford both insurances. They are great 1st cars and I would highly recommend them to everyone out there!!!

One-of-a-kind

by Joe from Fort Lauderdale, FL | October 20, 2010

Excellent car, I bought with 37 k miles in 2002, today it has 150 K miles and iots running like a swiss watch, only basic maintenance cost (Oil, tires, one tune up at 100K, wipper blades, not even brake pads). This car runs better than any Honda and it is much more inexpensive to operate. Ford decided to drop the Escort line and replace it with Focus. Why ? Ford made the Escort line look poorly, its is a decision that looks done by the competition. They should pick a name and stick to it, like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, and all others top brands. Using alphanumeric (335i, A-4) instead of names is a better idea.

Featured Services for this Ford Escort