2001 Ford Excursion

See Photos & Videos

Overall

13 years of marriage

by DaveF from Houston, TX | June 25, 2014

In 2001 I bought a new 2 wd drive excursion 7.3 lt diesel. I just sold it now in June of 2014. It was part of my family as I put 215k miles on it. The only major issue was a rebuild of the tranny at 117k miles. The mechanic stated they redesign the tranny for 2000-2003's. The fix was to rebuild back to the previous design. That said it was running just fine when I sold it. I got an average of 16.8 mpg around town and highway. Front brakes go after 75k miles. Be sure to put new rotors on and not turn them down especially if you live in the south. I have no doubt the new owner will get another 200k miles on the car. Never had any issues hauling anything. I will miss her.....

great suv

by son from a family from br,la | June 14, 2013

My family owned a chevy suburban for 7 years and then it tanked, and we totaled it. I have 7 siblings, so money was tight and we looked at used suvs. We bought a 2001 v10 excursion, and was a real beast. We used it for work and pleasure. It hauled way better than our suburban, and was way more comfortable, not to mention more spacious. We put 90,000 miles on that sucker and it purred till the end, when the engine block cracked. If ford came out with the excursion again, my family would definately be first in line.

Best Vehicle EVER Made

by DelKalle from Minnesota | April 15, 2013

I LOVE my excursion. It was the best vehicle any auto company has ever made. It saddens me that the quit making them. If they came out with a new excursion now with the latest diesel engine I'd buy one in a heart beat. I intend to own an excursion for as long as I possibly can. I wouldn't trade it for the world!! There is NO comparison.

Excursion 7.3 powerstroke

by Lordamercy from Trenton, Nj | September 2, 2012

Cant complain. Engine is a work horse. Workmanship of interior and accessories is typical of Ford, fair at best. Nothing spectacular. Squeaks, weird noises etc. gas mileage is great for the size of vehicle. Overall, I like it very much, just think with a bit more effort, it had the potential to be super terrific.

Uses car for Towing

It gets the camper up the mountain in style!

by tank from Atlanta, Ga | December 22, 2010

51,000 miles @ 9 years and in excellent condition made it an easy decision. Needed a workhorse to handle 8000# of bumper pull fun. Will enjoy camping for the next 15 years.

just right

by xslave from athens,ga | October 19, 2010

Lots of room only problem I've had is the plugs ejecting out of the head happens twice. Over 200,000 miles

lots of mechanical problems

by barney from ontario calif | September 6, 2010

We have had this for3 years. The plug blew out the battery has died twice & now the electrical system is shot Very poor quality

I Love My Truck

by Lady with a BIG Truck from Shenandoah Valley, Virginia | November 13, 2008

I have had my Excursion for almost two years now and I have NEVER had any problems. The 6.8L V-10 gas engine has more than enough power to tow our 27' camper. Some say that it is a "Gas Hog" but I average about 13 MPG (city) and about 17 MPG (highway). It is on a 3/4 ton truck frame, but it is classified as an SUV because of the interior. You're getting the power of a large truck with the comfort of a family SUV. The interior has more than enough room with two captain chairs in front and second and third row bench seats. The second row, 60/40 bench seats are removable or you can flip them forward and the third row bench seat is removable as well (or you can lay it flat) for those times when you just need more room! Overall, the Excursion is an excellent buy for the money.

I love it

by Excursion luver from rochester ny | February 24, 2008

As some one in the construction feild, I don't even feel my trailer behind it. I also don't belive the MPG I swear I got 14-15 MPG on a trip mto boston. I hope I have it forever.

Excursion

by Tow lady from Phoenix, AZ | July 8, 2007

This truck may suck gas, but when you have 'toys' to tow, traveling in this beast is unmatched. I can load up six large teenage boys for soccer, they all fit with there equipment bags and water stowed in the back. No cramped seating! When I get emission tests, I am amazed, a mere fraction of polution. So when you are driving your old gas efficient car that spews out toxins by the pound, note that this vehicle is seriously near emission free. i didn't buy it for looks. I bought it to tow with. My truck/excursion is the whopping V-10 4x4 that tows either a four horse slant trailer, a 28' travel trailer or a tralier full of quads. Can't be done better! And all five of us fit with my giant dogs in the cargo area. I have thought of getting something for better gas, but I will keep my excursion for the towing. Trouble free with exception of brakes. Have to replace frequently with in town driving.

Featured Services for this Ford Excursion