2003 Ford Excursion

Information Coming Soon

Overall

The Ultimate Land Cruser

by Diesel Dog from Pittsburgh, PA | January 11, 2015

100% Stock 6.0 Diesel 4x4. I left PA on a 3 week trip out West in a 06 6.0 250 Crew Cab Pickup. 3 teenagers in the back seat were just too cramped. In St Louis, I saw an Excursion and decided to check it out. Dealer offered an even trade for my pickup. Connected my 9000 lb camper and put on almost 10,000 miles on my trip. The 40+ gallon fuel tank let me drive the entire day without refueling. Got the Eddie Bauer edition and the seats were a little hard. I immediately noticed that I was getting better fuel mileage towing, I assume my opened bed truck caused more air drag on my travel trailer. Without the camper, I was getting over 21 MPG on the flat lands out west. Traction like a tank in the snow. Telescoping split mirrors provide excellent visibility. Loads of power and very maneuverable. To me, this is a specific application vehicle and I use it for long trips, towing and bad weather. This is not a run around town shopper because stop and go kills MPG. I put on less than 10,000 miles per year with no major issues in 3 years. Replaced front ball joints, front and rear sway links, and rear shocks. Alternator replacement took 20 minutes. Being over 10 years old, I expect normal wear and tear maintenance issue. For my application this is a perfect vehicle that is a dream to drive. As with the F Series pickups, there is uneven front tire wear. There is a easy solution, inflate the front tires to 62 psi and presto, the tires wear even. I could have picked the 7.3 or 6.0 for this year Excursion and chose the 6.0. It has a heavy duty transmission, TorqShift, that is better suited for towing heavy loads. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

looks are deceiving

by real buyer from Los Angeles | October 11, 2013

The pictures of the car are photoshop. The car has body work to be done on the left side. There are several stains in the carpet. There is a lot of rust showing in the wheels/brake/rotors. Car needs new tires. The car needs a major tune up. Plus its $2000 over priced from the blue book value.

Best truck/SUV you can (could) buy

by Real SUV Man from Alabama | October 27, 2012

I love this truck/SUV. The 6.0L diesel pulls like a champ, Runs great and can hold as much stuff/people as I can possibly fit in it! I love this vehicle.

Excellent for the money

by J-Man from Ridgecrest, CA | August 18, 2012

Having had our fourth child and being avid outdoors people we need something large and 4x4. It was a toss up between the Suburban, the Yukon, or the Excursion. We opted for the Excursion given the options and engine verses the price. For around $10k we got a 2003 V-10 4x4 Eddie Bauer edition with high-end brakes, nice custom rims/tires, high quality off-road shocks and a good after-market tow hitch with just under 120k miles. The interior is in great condition and so far the only problem I have had was a loss of use of the overdrive button and console controls (speedometer, tach, etc) that was a freak result of some electrical issue. Other than that, this vehicle has proven capable of carrying the whole family on off-road trips, camping trips and 4,200 mile road trip loaded to the rim with bags, kids, etc. As far as gas mileage goes, well, it sucks but this is not an every day car so I think the pay off for being able to pack up the entire family and go somewhere is worth the cost in gas. By the way, I get 14-16 mpg on the highway at 70mph whether I am just out with the family or towing 8k lbs. I find that rather amazing.

Tow Beast

by Trailer Hauler from Littlestown, PA | July 28, 2012

If you are looking for something to tow your camper and top pack the whole family in, this is it. Period. We got rid of a 2500 Suburban because it just plain struggled to tow our travel trailer across the mountains of PA, would run hot whenever we towed, and finally, destroyed its transmission on the PA turnpike. Just to clarify, the truck was in excellent condition and had no mechanical issues normally...per the Chevy dealer. The Excursion pulls a 7000lb trailer at 65 to 70 mpf through the mountains, no sweat. Mileage is horrendous (10.4 mpg last trip), but, man, does it pull. Only other downside of this truck is more a design issue than a problem. The 6.8 gas engine makes its power and torque in the upper RPM's...which means, on some of the longer, 7% grades, I had the engine running at 3500 to 3700 rpm's. I had been forwarned of this, and was told it would do that. No problem...just odd. I love this truck!

Excursions X 3

by Excursion Lover from Ohio | December 19, 2011

My 2003 Exc Ltd, V-10 4x4 is my third one. I bought a 2001 Ltd, 7.3 TD new that I put 98,000 mi on before the block heater shorted out and burnt my truck and the front of my house. I then got a 2004 Ltd 6.0 TD in 2006 with 10,000 mi that now has 99,000 mi that I still have for personal and family use. I bought the 2003 Ltd V-10 for company use and to also lighten the personal use of my 2004. The 2003 had 199,600 mi on it when I bought it a couple of months back. It now has 206,000 mi and runs as fine as any vehicle I've ever owned. The big drawback is the milage as compared to the diesels. I can get 17.5 - 19 hwy, 12-14 combo and 9.5 - 10.5 pulling a 16'L x 8.5'W x 6.5'T trailer with the 6.0L TD. The V-10 gets 12-13, 9-10 & 7 - 8.5 respectively - very thirsty and that is with the help of a SuperChips Tuner. It's worse without it. But it does the job with comfort and power to spare. It is a shame that Ford cow-tailed to the enviromentalist and ceased production of this vehicle - there are people, families and companies that need this vehicle because sometimes a pickup just won't fit the bill.

If you need a huge diesel SUV, there's one choice

by Teggsan from Austin, TX | November 21, 2010

I really like this truck. Sure, it drives like a barge (though various aftermarket suspension upgrades really help), is hard to park and is cartoonishly large, but there's nothing like a thousand mile road trip in a living room on wheels. If you're in the market for a used Excursion (and that's the only way you can get one since the last model year was 2005), look first for 2003 and up model years. Either the V10 or the two diesel options should be fine, but watch for problems with the early 6.0 diesel (late 2003/early 2004). DIESEL ENGINES ARE NOT CHEAP TO MAINTAIN OR REPAIR. Please be very, very clear on that before pulling the trigger on a diesel Excursion. If you can get past the cost of ownership, and can commit to the maintenance these monster engines require, you'll be pleased with the power and relative fuel economy of this powerplant. All in all, the Excursion is an answer to a question that no one's really asking any more, but I fully intend to drive the wheels off mine.

awesome

by monkey from californa | September 3, 2010

it is a good car worth your money and good for family nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I LOVE THIS VECHICLE

by NICKOS from CHICAGO | September 25, 2009

THE TITLE SAYS IT ALL !! THE SIZE & POWER THE ROOMINESS.IT IS A PLEASURE TO DRIVE, WITH ALL THE FEATURES

Best Car Ever!

by love the excursion! from Penngrove, CA | September 6, 2009

I babysit my friends kids so its great to have a car where i can fit them all. I thought a lifted suburban was massive but the excursion overpasses it by far. It's always reliable. I love being the biggest on the road! It's a great car I mean truck! :)

Featured Services for this Ford Excursion