2012 Ford Expedition EL

See Photos & Videos

Overall

excellent large SUV

by willybob from WI | June 30, 2013

Very comfortable - above that of the generals - and quiet. handles well. powerful. 14-16 mpg. well thought out. people and dogs very much enjoy it.

Excellent Value if you need a lot of room

by WiseCraig from Baton Rouge, La | March 15, 2013

I was looking for a vehicle to carry me, my wife, my kids ( one 6'6", one 6'7" and still growing) and a couple of other family around + luggage. There really are only two choices - the Suburban/Yukon XL and the Expedition EL. The interior layout of the EL, particularly the fold down third seat and cargo area appealed to me greatly. The high driving position is very nice and we have found all the seats to be comfortable on long trips. This is really true of the third row seats. The EL third row seats are comfortable for large adults, esp. compared to how they are sized and located in the Suburban/Yukon XL. The rated towing ability of 9000+ lbs is good, but we haven't used that yet. If you're not used to driving a big vehicle, the backup camera is pretty much a must have. Gas mileage is not great, but it's really not much worse than my old XL-7. I've found it's very easy to drive and the EL gives me feedback about the road. Adjusting the drivers seat has a lot of flexibility, with the seat, steering wheel, and pedals all being able to move and adjust.

Family of 6 with 2012 Ford Expedition

by Big Family Guy from Manchester, MI | February 25, 2013

We struggled for a while deciding on a vehicle for a family of 6. We narrowed it down to either the Expedition or the Suburban. While the ride and mileage of the Suburban was slightly better the functionality of the Expedition won the debate. ***Third Row*** When you have 4 growing children or want to taxi friends, kids, adults, etc. You need a vehicle that can accommodate. The third row in the Expedition offered the greatest room and comfort level over the Suburban. My 12 yr old son was able to sit comfortably with plenty of legroom. The Suburban lacked in this area. Your feet would disappear under the 2nd row and you would not even have leg room into the 3rd row of the Suburban. ***MPG*** Do not believe the hype. You will not likely be buying this monster for MPG. We drive a lot and after having the Expedition for about a month our average MPG hovers around 14. Most people buying this vehicle will not buy it for gas savings. This beast is for large families and safe travels on trips both off road and through the snow. ***Features*** A fully loaded Expedition offers a great set of toys and eye candy. Both functional and easy to use. Compared to other similar vehicles Ford seemed to get it right. My only complaint is with the 2012 model it did not offer the MyFordTouch which when we saw it on the Flex truely loved. The MyfordTouch was just fluid and made the driving experience enjoyable for the techie in me. But even without the HighTech update the Sync was pretty decent. and user friendly. The only negative is the in the seat DVD system. It was cumbersome if you lost your remote you are going to lose nearly all functionality. The Suburban certainly won this one with overhead dual screen DVD system. The kids are happy either way. But as a parent you sometimes just want to hit play from up front to avoid dealing with the remote wars of the kids... ***Storage*** While the Expedition and Suburban are very similar the placement of the 3rd row made all the difference. You can sit 8 people more comfortably in the Expedition and still have plenty of room for your luggage, groceries, etc. Summary I was originally opposed to an Expedition (Wife liked Expedition / I liked Suburban) . But after driving it for a little while it has really grown on me. It is a really enjoyable ride and now seeing how well it handles the family, the Wintery Michigan roads, groceries, Boy/Girl Scouting events, etc. It has made me appreciate it more and I am glad we bought it. Just wish we could have the MyfordTouch!!! ;-) Would definitely recommend this vehicle to other families with similar circumstances!!

Best SUV I've ever owned and I've owned several

by Cars/Trucks guy from Denver, Co | July 9, 2012

This is my first Ford since 1994. I've owned three Tahoe's and last one was a Chevy Traverse. The Expedition out does all of the last four GM vehicles on interior and exterior quality/workmanship. The GM's gone cheap. Forget having GM fix your backup camera problems, lines in video. It's normal to have lines in video so bad that it's useless. Just will not go back to GM. This Expedition so far out does the Tahoe in ride/handing. Towing with 18 foot car hauler loaded with no problem in the Colorado mountains.

Fits the need

by A family Outdoorsman from Denver, Co | June 2, 2012

The Expedition is perfect for me, I have large tracts of land with difficult terrain to manage, plus I enjoy the outdoors. The 4x4 capability of the Expedition is solid, taking me loaded with family and gear through places I'd rather have not gone, safely without worry. If you have a real need for this type of capability, and you should know if you do, you won't be unhappy with the Expedition. If you don't have this need, by all means get a 4 cyclinder,

A dinosaur

by SUVhater from | April 13, 2012

This car is from a bygone era. Embrace 4 cylinder power! Handles terribly, horrible fuel economy, and very slow. What is the point?