1999 Ford Expedition

Available in 4 styles:  Expedition 4dr XLT shown

Overall

Very Sad to Part with Old Friend

by pete from Chicago | February 18, 2014

I bought my 1999 Expedition XLT in 2002 w/ 72k miles, I am the second owner. The normal mechanical issues, radiator, compressor, alternator, generator, starter, exhaust system, trailing arm suspension all had to be replaced. (just once)Maintenance was performed regularly on this vehicle. I averaged less than $800 per year on maintenance over the life of this vehicle. This truck was very dependable and made several trips of 1000 miles in a single day to see family, great road vehicle!! Never garage kept, always started on the coldest of days!!! Took vehicle in to be repaired this week and my mechanic gave me the bad news, do not spend any more money on this vehicle. My mechanic said I had some bad seals, too costly to fix. So at 305,600+ miles (original engine & tranny) I am going to trade it in on a 2005 or newer Expedition & hope I have the same luck with the next Expedition!!! I really wanted to get 400,000 miles on this truck!!!

a solid Workhorse with a little flair

by Bandvan from Philadelphia, PA | August 10, 2013

I've owned this for 6+ years and hauled 5-6 people and a trailer in just about every area from Boston to Austin frequently the whole time. Drives like a MUCH smaller vehicle, and has a better turning radius than anything comparable. It is a Ford, so it has needed attention, but the drive train itself (engine, transmission, differentials) are as near to bulletproof as I have seen. even with 165k miles on the intermittent odometer it still gets the factory spec for gas mileage and rolls as smooth as ever.

One of the best cars I have owned

by OCLion from Ocean City, NJ | December 9, 2012

Bought the car new, owned it for just shy of 13 years, and only due to it's years in a moist salt air environment,( a few undercarriage parts needed to be replaced due to rust), did we start to look for a replacement. It never missed a beat, transported high school athletes, dogs, equipment and lots of family excursions. Eddie Bauer model had everything you need, and was comfortable and strong running car. I only hope the newer models are as reliable!

Great Ride!

by Expedition Believer from Lakewood, CA | September 22, 2012

We own the XLT Roll-Along (fender flair kit, oversized tires, tow pkg, video screen), purchased used with appx 60,000 a few years ago. It's still going strong with 157,000 miles, I can't believe the transmission hasn't yet gone out yet! I've been so Ford skeptical. The only problems seem to have been electronic, i.e driver's windows doesn't work, digital mileage works intermittently and leaking radiator. One other thing was they were recalled for some kind of fuel/gas leak which my husband fixed himself! Great transportation ride for family with kids! Just pile them in. Plenty of leg room for the tall. The truck drives great, easy to turn, fully adjustable seat and foot peddals for my 5.0' daughter. More fun to drive then my Lexus 430LS (2001). I'd buy this truck again.

Repeat Expe owner

by Loved it sooo much! from Portland, OR | May 30, 2012

I bought my 5.4L 4x4 Expe new and put 210,000 miles on it - much of it towing a 2 ton boat. Never had any serious problems and enjoyed every bit of it! Since I rely on it for commuting, I was concerned about the high mileage and now own a 2012 Expe. The 1999 has a better interior layout and I particularly like that there are no reflective surfaces on the old dash. The new one has a lot of chrome and polished stuff, which I find a little distracting. But I'm overall Ecstatic about the the new car, too!

Uses car for Towing

Roomy and Reliable

by Ms. Expo from Hazel Park, MI | March 25, 2011

I've been in love with this truck for years and it only gets better whether it's a newer or older model but I just prefer the older model it has it's own unique look.

Love my Expedition

by Bryan from Louisville, KY | November 9, 2010

I have had my 99 Expedition Eddie Bauer since October of 2005 and still love it. We are boaters and we use it to tow a large boat as well as take family trips on spring break etc. We have twin girls who just turned 11 and the third seat makes it possible for each of them to have their own seat and even spread out and sleep on longer trips. As far as maintenance is concerned, I have had to do the usual except for a rebuilt transmission at 80,000 miles. I attribute this to the large amount of towing I was doing at the time pulling a very large cruiser. The 5.4 liter engine has been great and has never let me down. Something that just happened in the last month was that the trailing arms on the rear end (holds the rear axle, etc. in place) just about rusted out. This was a $785.00 replacement. We live in KY which is not a very cold state in winter, which means not that much salt on the roads, so I am perplexed as to why the trailing arms would have corroded so badly. If you have an Expedition which is a few years old, be sure to have this checked out next time it is up on the rack for service. If this becomes common Ford is going to have to address this. Otherwise, I love the Expecition and my family would rather ride in it than our Lexus!

Loved this truck

by luvmyexped from Austin, TX | October 25, 2010

I bought my '99 Eddie Bauer in 2001 with about 33,000 miles on it. I drove it until July of 2010, when the transmission went out with 230,000 miles on it. I absolutely loved this vehicle -- looked good, road well enough (for a truck frame), tons of storage or passenger room, comfortable interior. There was just no negative to it, except maybe the 14 miles per gallon average. INTERIOR: Very comfortable, all electric seats, all controls well placed and within easy reach. Had rear AC so was always cold, and heated up on the cold days. Lots of storage. I'm an appraiser so I live in my car, and there was room for everything without looking trashed. EXTERIOR: Loved the dual opening in back -- just the window (for hauling lumber), or the whole hatch. ENGINE: I had the 5.4L V8, which always ran great in the Texas heat. Over the 9 years I had it, I replaced brakes regularly, replaced about 5 of the 8 spark plug coil packs (@$200 each), and had the front ball joints redone at about 200,000 miles. A few other minor things here and there, but I would guess I spent a grand total of about $5k on maintenance over the years, including tires, service, oil, changes, and brakes. The ball joint job was a good chunk of that, so when you figure that in, I probably spent about $400/year for oil changes, brakes, tires, and misc. maintenance. When the tranny went out I tried 4 different mechanics, practically begging them to tell me it was worth it to fix, but they all said it was time to move on. I've since taken over my wifes 2005 Nissan Murano, and while the mileage is better (19mpg), I really miss my truck! When I've run the Murano into the ground I'm going back to an Expedition.

A Great SUV

by Dan from Lowville, New York | January 4, 2010

After two days buying the vehicle we drove home, and hit black ice. We rolled the vehicle over and land in the ditch, and landed on its wheels. We put it on 4 wheel drive and drove out of there. The only thing that happen was the mirror came off but we easily put it back on the spot and the front wheels had to be realine in the shop cost only $50.00. It is the safest vehilce we ever owned!!! Now it has 200,000 miles. So far the biggest things I had to fix was the brakes at 195,000 miles and they still had life on them, the new ones costed $1500. AND we plan to keep the vehicle unitl it can no longer be driven, then I'll buy a new one...

Best vehicle we have every had

by Owner of the white whale from Delaware | May 22, 2009

After 6 months of research with regard to our needs and after comparing the data (Yes I am an engineer, duh), we chose the '99 Expedition XLT as the vehicle we wanted. We chose the 5.4L because it had a trailering package available, seating for 8 and a back seat the size of a sofa, rear a/c, fold down and removeable seats, and the highest ground clearance in it's class. We ordered the Exp from the factory exactly as we wanted it, loaded. White is the color chose because white will show less age aver time. This is proven to be true after nearly 11 years and 180,000 miles. The '99 Expedition was rated (by a popular magazine) as the number 1 off road vehicle for that model year. The 4th 4WD I have owned, it has proven to be the most sure-footed vehicle I have ever driven both on and off road including on the beach. The Expedition handles about the same as a large 4x4 in dry weather. Wet, snowy and icy weather is where this truck really shines. The automatic 4WD feature 4 wheel anti-lock brakes and high road position give you complete visibility and control in virtually any weather. Gas mileage is about the same as the common but smaller Japanese 4x4 SUV of this style. If high gas mileage is a requirement, an EXP or pickup truck are not what you should be looking at anyway. The vehicle is heavy and does take time to get up to speed however it is not underpowered, it's the 3.73 rear. If you want to race, look for another truck. If you want to pull a boat or heavy trailer, stick with the EXP. Reliability has been good. The 5.4 engine had a problem with the head gasket which Ford replaced n/c, at 140k I had the ball joints replaced, a new alternator at 150k, and most recently I replaced the connecting link between the stabilizer bar and lower control arm myself ($10 part, 20 mins of work). Regular maintenance, lube changes and brake changes are a snap to do by yourself due to the location of the filters, great ground clearance and the 4 wheel disc brakes (10 minutes per wheel, no kidding!) The only body rust I have is at the bottom of the doors. Seems that water must get in and pool on the inside. I keep it painted with a good quality rustproofing and it has held up. Overall the Expedition has been a great vehicle. It has changed my mind to the positive when it comes to American cars and Ford.

Featured Services for this Ford Expedition