2000 Ford Expedition

2000 Ford Expedition

Available in 4 styles:  2000 Ford Expedition 4dr 4x4 shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Super reliable and reasonable price for maintaince

by bear from Shawmut, Mt | February 11, 2013

Expedition has been the second best car we have owned. 1986 Taurus was the best. No magor repairs in 260000 mi. Only brakes ,tires, sparkplugs and a ingition coil. It ia a rwd and was used to tow / haul supplies around the ranch. It was bough with 33000 mi. Gas mileage was fair for a full size 4.6L Suv. It averaged 16-17 in combined driving. I would recommend this car to anyone.

reliable car

by ex man from compton,ca | February 14, 2012

good comfortable reliable car ,,,,,, dependable and stylish , not to good on gas but ok.. use for work put in at 65 miles a day and its still running good and strong.

Built like a tank...

by bigtruck from Philadelphia, PA | February 12, 2012

A great daily companion. Feels big, yet drives small. Ford hit a homerun with the design and build quality. Toyota Sequioa copied from this design.

Comfortable and Roomy

by Long Term Driver from Dallas, TX | December 5, 2011

My wife and I purchased our Eddie Bauer Edition 2000 Ford Expedition, with the 4.6L engine and auto trans, new. We kept it for eleven years, finally trading it in this year for fear of having to put a lot of money into it and because of the lamentably low fuel mileage. We bought it at a time when I wanted my wife in a tank due to the driving demands of her job. The Expedition is a beautifully-styled, ultra comfortable SUV with loads of cargo space. The air-ride suspension made it my favorite to drive, around town or on long trips. Configured with two rows of captain's chairs, we were able to seat seven people. The third row seating was a problem for taller people. There is a price to pay for comfort, though. She never got more than twelve miles per gallon in city driving and we were lucky to get sixteen MPG on the highway. At fifty thousand miles, we had to replace three of the eight plug coils, an expensive bit of surgery by the dealer. They were expected to last 100,000 miles, so I guess we just got a few bad ones. The air bags, in the suspension, had to be replaced twice in eleven years, another expensive repair. We kept wondering when the next shoe was going to drop, so, when it started smoking on some startups, we decided it was time to move to a more fuel-efficient, smaller SUV. Although I loved the Expedition's appearance, size and comfort, I rated it a poor value for the money not only because of its initial high purchase price, but because it is expensive to operate. We bought it with the factory tow package, but found that the small engine and the soft suspension were not suited to towing as the vehicle "bucked" every time we hit a bump while towing. The decision to buy the smaller engine (it was also offered with a 5.4L V-8) also didn't give us the expected better gas mileage. All-in-all, I liked the vehicle and it served its purpose, but it turned out to be expensive to drive and unnecessarily large and heavy for our needs.

VERY RELIABLE

by ... from | October 30, 2011

can use this SUV for everything. bought it new in 2000 and still have it to this day. Has about 170k. extremely reliable in the snow and rain. has had its issues (after about 120k) but i plan to buy another expedition when this one goes up.

Better than the GM alternative

by OxonCA from Novato CA | July 15, 2009

I bought my Expedition XLT new in 2000 and since then have driven it down to Baja California, over to Yellowstone, and all over the Western states, chalking up over 120,000 miles including over 10,000 miles off-road on a variety of surfaces including dirt road, sand, rock, and mud. I modified my Expedition by adding a winch, better shocks, wheels, and proper tires (BFG AT/KO) plus a few other things like long-range lights. I bought the vehicle because I wanted something that would work OK off-road and have the interior space to carry enough equipment for a family week in the back-country. There are very few full-size SUVs that qualify. The Expedition is under-powered for its weight, with only 260 horsepower coupled to a crude 4-speed transmission. The original suspension is overly soft. The interior fit & finish is abysmal in comparison to Asian vehicles. At 70,000 miles the engine developed an ignition problem which turned out to be failure of one of the ignition packs - not easy to diagnose. Other issues include rapid degredation of transmission fluid when in 4x4 Low mode doing heavy work in hot conditions. After 8 years the backup radar finally failed, though it was always inoperative in hot conditions or when very cold. On the bright side, everything else has functioned adequately and the vehicle has never let me down when I'm far from civilization. It was easy to add navigation & bluetooth hands-free, and my children are always comfortable in the reclining middle seat (the rear seat was thrown away as being too small and taking up too much cargo space in the back). The AC works well even under very hot conditions. This is basically a decent low-cost platform that can be built up into a reasonable off-road vehicle. It is very much a vehicle of its time, when US auto makers were happy to churn out low-quality tanks that earned them high profits.

Nicest car we have owned with 4 x 4.

by windinmyhair from N.E. Pennsylvania | February 13, 2009

rear heat, comfy, good head room for tall passengers, 3 rd seat comes out for more space. comfy to drive, I'm short and the electronic seat makes it easy to adjust for any person to drive it. good storage space between seats up front. doesn't hug the road as good as I thought it would when passing at 70 or 80. Pretty good gas mileage, we get about 18 mpg.

do not hate Expedition is in there!

by kay from detroit | February 7, 2007

I brought this turck in 2006 and I love my Expedition it handles real good and i would tell any one to get one, but as you no! that if you do not take care of your automobile it will not stand up to any thing! so take care of what you drive and you will be a happy person. But as you know the Expedition is a big truck so be careful because before you know it you will be speeding. I have read many of reveiws about the Expeditions every one has their own thought about any thing. I was lucky the Expedition I bought was in good shape in body and in running condition.

Very Solid and Reliable Vehicle

by SUV Driver from El Paso, TX | January 30, 2007

I purchased my Expedition as a new vehicle in 2000 and it has been 99% reliable. The only part I have replaced is the rear windshield wiper motor while it was under warranty. Very powerful 5.4 L engine with a comfortable ride. Considering its size, the vehicle get at least 20mpg on long trips while being loaded with passengers and luggage. I have not regrets purchasing this vehicle and would definitely recommend purchasing one. Especially with the 5.4 L and the larger transmission option.

A decent large SUV

by FamilyMan from Novato, CA | September 22, 2006

I bought my 2000 Expedition intending to build it up for mixed on-highway and off-highway use. The truck in stock condition was too bouncy and the steering was very light. I swapped out the shocks for stiffer aftermarket versions and swapped out the tire & wheel combo for larger and firmer all-terrain rubber. In addition I added a winch plus huge driving lights. The stock Ford lights are OK on low beam but anaemic on high beam. The stock interior seats are very supportive and comfortable. The stereo is fine, but could use a sub-woofer. The controls are all well-placed. Overall fit is pretty poor: inch-wide gaps between dash trim and side trim, ultra-cheap interior door handles... I added genuine wood overlay to add a little color to the inside of the vehicle, which was monotonous gray. This is a vehicle that provides a decent platform for build-up, and a LOT of interior space, which was important for me as I take my children into the wilderness for 5-day trips and we need to carry enough food & water in addition to tents, sleeping bags, clothes, etc. The dual-climate controls (front/back) are really helpful, and the bench seat is also surprisingly comfortable. I especially appreciate the three-position bench seat recline feature, which is wonderful. Even the third row is acceptable for children up to about 10 years old, but no place for an adult. The vehicle has been pretty reliable, though the ignition pack for one of the plugs failed at 73,000. The brakes are soft and need more bite. The engine feels under-powered even though the nominal output (at high revs) is 260hp. Fuel economy on long trips averages around 13mpg while around town 10mpg is typical. Interestingly, on long trips it's 13mpg regardless of whether there are 7 people plus a full load of gear, or just one person traveling light. It's been a reasonable off-road performer, covering nearly 10,000 on sand, rocks, trails, and dirt roads. The stock underbody protection has held up very well. Visibility on road and off-road is excellent.

Featured Services for this Ford Expedition