2001 Ford Explorer Sport

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

Available in 2 styles:  2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x4 shown

Overall

good value but not reliable

by erik minnesota from | January 29, 2014

I bought this vehicle in 05 and I have used it on and off since then. The 4x4 works excellent, can get through anything. For what I paid it is hard to complain but I have gone through numerous issues in the 70,000 miles I have put on it. Tranny went out, alternator, sway bar, ball joints, and wheel bears about 2x per wheel, along with other miscellaneous issues. I don't think the rear whipper ever properly worked. Mine only has 140k on it but it feels like everything has gone wrong on it. I haven't used it for my daily driver in years because it is so bad on gas. I just keep it around for those snowy winter days or for hauling/towing. If the vehicle was built better with more reliable parts and got a little better gas milage it would be perfect. But t hen again the price reflects it.

good for the money

by dude from Chesapeake, VA | January 11, 2014

Good car for the money. Helpful staff. Would recommend. They took the time to make sure it was we wanted. Did not feel pressured.

Very capable SUV

by The Big D from Southern Utah | January 30, 2012

I purchased this vehicle just for winter months formy Daughter, but it ended being a daily driver. With 150,000 miles on the Odometer I really expected everything to be worn out. I was really surprised that I only replaced tires (More off-road ability), hoses an belts (Just in case), and changed all the fluids. I had a local mechanic check it out and he said everything looks great. He said it looks like the water pump was replaced some time ago and possibly the alt. He also said, I only have to watch the tranny and keep the fluid changed and not tow any REALLY heavy because of the mileage it has on it (Its an auto). He said the tranny is original but looks to be kept up and looks good inside (He changed the filter and fluid). He also said that NO vehicle should be used off-road with a High mileage tranny, due to potentially having a failure out in the boonies. This thing is fun and just as, if not more, capable and road worthy as my friends brand X SUV. And he paid 5 times what I paid. I have only put around 10K on the ODO in 3 months, however, I expect to put allot more on this year. It has a V6 in it that is not real peppy but gets good mileage for a 4x4, however, I have v8's in all my other vehicles and I am just use to real torque and HP. This is one of Ford's best kept secrets. It is a shame they dropped the line. I wish I would have picked one of these up when they were new before they dropped the line. Oh well! It just goes to show you if you take care of your vehicles you can have a lifetime of fun and use from them. I will be looking for another one of these since Ford no longer makes the Explorer Sport 2 door model. That way I will always have a spare should and accident ever arise.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

very good all around suv

by Ted from PA | July 19, 2011

i bought it in 2005 with 138,245 miles on it i have it 5 years and now have 185,987 miles on it still runs great! hard to start in winter due to intake manifold gaskets leaking.

NICE TRUCK

by STEVE from PHILA PA | May 11, 2011

I LIKE THE TRUCK, RUNS STRONG BUT USES ALOT OF GAS. TO GO ANYWHERE IS LIKE 20 BUCKS MINIMUM. OTHER THAN THAT ITS OK. JUST OK.

So reliable

by Love My Fords from Jackson, Mississippi | February 2, 2011

I have had two of these, one 2001 and now I am driving a 2003. The 2001 made it up to 70,000 miles without ever needing any type of work. Always cranked and still looked like new...until someone decided to slam into me and totalled it (I ran off the road, down a hill and hit a tree without the truck ever wanting to flip over). My 2003 has been great for the last five years I've had it as well. Yes, it will drive you if you are careless, or if you have old tires on wet roads etc, but once you get the feel of it and accept the fact that it is not a car but an SUV, you will just love to drive it. It accelerates and maneuvers great! Tons of room for carrying large items, too. People don't believe me when I tell them how old my truck is!

Sick First Car!!!!

by JetsFan from | October 17, 2010

just got this car yesterday, and from driving it after 10 min. i love it. easiest turns and acceleration; extremely maneuverable and comfortable. Aside of some wear and tear from previous owners, i would say any 16 year old kid would love this car.

305,000 miles

by Drive for a living from Ohio | August 25, 2009

I had an 01 explorer and put 305000 miles on it. It finally gave out, i only had to change the brakes and tires normal wear and tear. Love to have another great car. Never even changed a spark plug.

Great and relaible SUV

by Gtrider6 from PA | March 25, 2009

I have had my 2001 explorer since 2006 and love it. The first year i put 15k with out any problems but she has been sitting for 6 months to the most recent stint of a year. Every time she fires up with out any problems and continues to run like a champ. At 60k all i have had to do is ball joints which seem to be a weak part on these explorers which is easly fixed with MOOG aftermarket ones. I take my explorer off road threw ditches and gullys and have been on a few 4-wheeling trips with lots of success out wheeling Jeep wranglers.

It's most dependable.

by Jeff from Sioux City, Ia | December 15, 2008

Overal it's very dependable vehicle I have owned. When I put it in 4 Wheel drive look out it goes through anything and everything. That's the bigest feature I like about it. The feature I don't like is when I start the vehicle it kills periodically and have had it diagnosed several times and no luck in find what it was from Ford dealership. lots of little squeeks with center counsel.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer Sport