2002 Ford Explorer Sport

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great vehicle

by Little truck from | March 24, 2013

I have had my 2002 for 3 years. THis one has 112,000 and I have only done basics - new battery and alternator. Runs well, gets good gas mileage (averages 21 - 22) and reliable. My only fault is that the seat is a little uncomfortable on long drives

Absolutely Love This Truck

by DeniseInTexas from Katy, TX | September 25, 2011

Bought my '02 Explorer Sport preowned in '06 with about 60k miles. I've had it over 4 years and put another 50k miles on it. I live in Houston and originally bought this vehicle because I needed something bigger to tote around my teenager and his friends with all of their sports equipment, more rugged to endure the horrible street conditions and a higher ground clearance due to high water flooding. This car has been worth every penny. I have been really bad about maintenance at times; I don't always change/check fluids when I should and have never had a problem. Only big expense I had was replacing the clutch at about 90k miles - which is pretty typical for standard vehicles. Pros: Perfect size, tight turning radius, extremely rugged, low maintenance, great exterior styling, big cargo space, comfortable seating for 5, V6 engine performance Cons: Some of the interior asthetics are a little cheap but still functional, moderate gas mileage, road noise can be a little loud on overly bumpy pavement. I will definitely be driving this vehicle until it won't drive anymore. I wish Ford had come out with something more similar to the Explorer Sport than the Escape. The Escape just isn't as solid as the Sport.

BEST CAR OWNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Ford LOVER from Providence, RI | April 17, 2011

I have owned this car for about 10 year it runs strong no problems drove it everywhere no problems didnt change the oil for at least 1 year and still runs strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST CAR OWNED !!!!

Better than I thought it would be

by acerunit05 from Miami, FL | February 15, 2011

I have had my ford for almost 4 years now and it hasn't given me any problem. I thank God for having this SUV and not having any problems with it. I purchased the vehicle at 51000 miles, and I make sure that I maintenance the car properly. The only thing that I could say that's wrong with the vehicle is that it's interior started to deteriorate. Nonetheless, for a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport the vehicle runs very well, and I expect to keep this vehicle for a very long time.

Recently bought this SUV used

by Sylvaron from Bessemer, Alabama | July 14, 2010

I recently bought a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport from a friend who had put approximately 115,000 miles on it. It is still in amazing shape and has no problems whatsoever. The car gets an average of 17 to 19 mph for me on rural roads and around 20 to 21 on highways. Cargo space is great, especially when the back seats are folded down for extra room. Spacing in general is good, the front seats have a kind of "cockpit" feel but are still very breathable--basically, it makes you feel like you're snug and safe and still gives you room to breathe. Driving is smooth for a truck-body SUV, although not as smooth as its little crossover relative, the Ford Escape. Design choices are good, especially on the exterior. It's a beautiful looking vehicle, especially for an SUV. Not much else to say, if you're an SUV enthusiast but aren't looking for a family vehicle (you'd rather have something sporty), this is a great choice.

I owe my life to this car!

by iLived! from Sumner, WA | May 4, 2010

I was in a horrible car accident where I was run off the road into a tree. The airbags went off, and the car was very very totaled because of the incident. However, I walked away without a scratch. There was a 1'X1' space where my seat was that saved me. The back seats were not messed up very bad at all either. Just tilted quite a way. I know this car saved my life and I would reccomend it to teens, without a doubt. VERY VERY safe and reliable. Mine was in mint condition with 111,000 miles on it. Would have gone another 150,000, I am sure. This should FOR SURE be the ride you choose for your child's first car!

Great SUV

by My daily Driver Explorer from Los Angeles | January 9, 2009

I bought my SUV used last year. I use my Explorer Sport as a daily driver to work and some occasional trips, and it has so far been very reliable to me. Only thing I do is the routine maintenance. Rides smooth and has enough power, specially for an SUV. Great exterior styling and very comfortable. I recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Looks Great Drives NICE!!!!

by Ford Fan from Thumb Area, Michigan | August 15, 2008

Love this vehicle, never had any problems. I had bought this vehicle at 60,000 miles. It had never broken down once. I have heard nothing but good things about how it looks. The 4- wheel drive comes in handy especially in Michigan where it holds its own in snow and ice.

Worth every cent of my investment.

by Ford Explorer Owner from FT Myers, FL | August 13, 2008

A comfortable ride, this vehicle responds well to the needs of the street and of the highway traffic. The times that I have taken it to the shop were only for regular maintenance: oil, change, tires and breaks. The exterior still looks as if it just got in the market. The interior is still pretty good shape although the arm rest in the middle, front, is not as ruggedy as it needs to be given the presure it has to whistand when you lean on it. Mine broke down a few months after purchasing it. Other than that, it is a very good vehicle.

Great styling

by Automobile Realistic from Cleveland, Ohio | January 27, 2008

I bought the vehicle new and have been very pleased with it. I love the interior and exterior styling. It has very good performance and good handling. The reliabilty has been very good. The dealer replaced the front ball joints under warranty and i had the front brake pads replaced, other than that just routine maintanance. It now has over 60,000 miles on it and has been a fine vechicle.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer Sport