1992 Ford Explorer

Information Coming Soon

Overall

Solid SUV, But...

by Guy with a keyboard from Bainbridge Island, WA | May 27, 2014

We acquired a 1992 XLT Model for just $800 about a month ago. We've owned several explorers before this from (White '91 Sport, Green '95 Eddie Bauer, Gold '00 Sport) And they have been solid cars, if a bit underpowered. However, I would recommend being VERY careful of the '91-'94 Explorers with the Automatic transmission. Just a week ago, our new-to-us '92 started puking transmission fluid out of nowhere, and we're fairly certain that it's shot. So, good cars overall, but be wary of high-mileage automatic equipped models.

Most reliable of its class

by Ford guy from NY | April 1, 2013

I can't say anything bad bout this vehicle, this is a comfortable work horse...my daughter bought it for me as a gift in 2000 and I never had any major issues with it other than regular wear and tear, mileage is now 276,000 miles and no signs of giving up....

Love this car!

by Utopian from Billings, MT | February 16, 2011

I recently purchased my 92 Explorer at an auction. I had a 2000 Cavalier that was falling apart beneath me and I felt intimidated around the rest of the larger SUV's, pickups, and cars. I sent my dad, my brother, and my son to the auction to get me a temporary car to last 10 months till I finished grad school and could afford more. I love this car and it is now my permenant vehicle rather than a temporary one. It is comfortable, runs great, started all winter in subzero weather, feels heavy and stable. The only complaint I have is the stereo, factory 92 that still works. I will definitely be replacing that upon my graduation!

Terrible.

by Dodge Man from Las Vegas, NV | April 11, 2010

I recently aquired a 92 explorer with only 66k miles on it. i thought it would be great. in reality the car was awful. The brakes are horrible, the engine makes sputtering noises and the car creeks and groans upon turning. The car stalls on hills, has trouble changing gears (automatic) and can barely go above 50 mph. There is absolutely no reason that a car with only 66k miles on it should be in such shape. I have a '00 durango with 242k miles on it and strangely enough it preforms better than this horrible ford.

not the best but good

by ridic from Irvington, Al. | July 13, 2009

bought the car used, drives great when runs. rebuilt engine tranny, brakes as usual. car, like I said runs good but has nit pick problems all the time but is older and lots o miles.Do wish I would have bought her new tho. Would reccomend to a friend.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer