1995 Ford Explorer

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Ford Explorer

by laradvanyi from Hungary | March 28, 2012

This is the best for Me. One years ago to pay this car. Ever since addition to the compulsory service did not have to spend it.

Love this SUV!

by doe321 from Denver Colorado | March 30, 2010

I bought my 1995 Eddie Bauer Edition in 2003 with 195,00 miles on it. The only major thing that we have had to do is rebuild the transmission. I drive this car everyday to and from work and I never question whether it will get me home. In Colorado you never quite know what you are going to get weatherwise, and you could be driving down the highway with the sunroof open and 70 degrees and then the next day have a foot of snow on the ground! (no kidding just happened last week) My Explorer handles all situations with ease. This SUV has driven to Nebraska, New Mexico and everywhere in between. I will be sad when I finally decide to upgrade, but you better believe it will be to another Explorer.

won't die

by nevets from seattle | February 17, 2009

Bought my 2-door sport 4-wheel truck new in 1995. Have over 210,000 miles and still running great. I don't have a heavy foot, so 15.5 city and 18.3 highway. Just checked, but my roof racks are off. Only on when needed. Changed oil every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. New plugs, wires and Maco paint job at 100K, rebuilt trans at 125,000, put in new shocks and alternator at 135,000. Same timing chain, when she goes thats it. On my third set of tires, get at least 80k but I rotate in the spare. I think the most amazing thing, haven't done a thing to the exhaust. Think it's stainless steel and here in Seattle we don't salt the roads. 4-wheel drive always gets me up to the passes for winter fun. Really only issue is my high mount rear brake light is almost a near impossible do-it-yourself repair. Did replace the cassette player just because my son was making fun of it!Wish I would have bought the sun roof and hope Doris last until Ford comes out with a plug-in.......

Mixed Bag

by Fix Or Repair Daily from Fort Lauderdale, FL | November 29, 2008

I bought this with 30K miles: clean and squeak-free with the 5-speed std trans which I recommend for reliability. Impressive sound system which you'll need on the road because Explorer is not quiet. Tough, reliable and comfortable UNTIL first one, then the other head gasket blew at 75 and 77K mi. Milled & back in business. At 88K mi the electrical system started to disintegrate: first the rear wiper, the door alarm, the speedometer, the dome light, the electric window motor, the driver's door lock... one little thing after another. Still runs with 119K miles, but 13 mpg city and 16 highway doesn't cut it anymore. Went through 1 alternator, 3 batteries and a starter. Look beyond the Explorer.

A good truck all year round

by 4-wheeler from Albany, NY | March 18, 2007

I got my explorer almost a year ago now and I gotta say I love it. It's the XLT version with 4WD. I was really looking for a pickup truck to move back and forth to school with (I live on Long Island but go to college in Albany). However, this Explorer serves my purpose. Good cargo space. Like I said, I go to school in Albany, NY and we get snow, and lots of it. We had a 2-foot blizzard about a month ago and a foot last night. Flip on that 4WD and you're cuttin through it no problem. It also starts up no problem in freezing temps. The interior is nice for a truck that over 10 years old although a couple of the bulbs behind the display have burnt out at this point. Not a huge problem as the dials are still lit well enough to use when it's dark. As far as gas mileage goes, it's what you'd expect for an SUV. Don't expect anything spectacular. I don't do that much driving, just going back and forth to work which is less than a mile away and back and forth to my parents' house on Long Island, a roughly 3-hour drive which I can do on a little more than a quarter of a tank. Overall, it's a great truck and I haven't had any major issues with it. I did have to recently get a new air motor and some sensor replaced which came to right around $400. Also, it threw the fan belt about a month to go. The associated repairs with that came to around $200. Bottom line, not that much, basic maintenance. It runs good, good cargo space, great in bad weather. Thumbs up, 4 stars overall...I recommend it if you're looking for a great truck for a tight budget.

Solid Truck I Could Depend On

by VIPER from Toronto, ON | February 1, 2007

I got my Explorer back in the fall of 2002 with 240 k (abt 149 k mi). It was a 4.0L V6, 4x4, 160 HP Limited Edition. It came richly equipped with 2 airbags, ABS, Air Ride System, 7 speaker stereo with a 6 CD changer, pwr moon roof, pwr windows & (heated) mirrors, on board computer, automatic AC, factory cell phone, pwr antenna, pwr front seats (6 way), beige leather interior, pwr dim mirror, roof racks, fog lights etc. The ride and comfort was reasonably smooth yet tough enough for an off-road use (if you used option 4x4 LOW - the air suspension bags inflated to raise the ground clearance by abt 4 inches, thus making it even more versatile in terrain.) The 160 HP V6 is just average in its class and not a wise choice if you plan on a lot of hauling. The exterior styling is very profound, when you see this SUV sitting on its 4 235/75/R15 tires it looks like it means business. The only thing that I did not like was the rear door, it's simply flat with no shape to it but otherwise it's a nice looking truck. The interior blows any 95 competitors away, Beautiful beige leather interior with a 2 tone (beige and black) dashboard and centre console looks luxurious and sophisticated. A lot of storage space throughout and roomy. I didn't have the 3rd row of seats so the trunk was large. Fold the rear seats down and you've got a flat surface where 2 adults could sleep. The fuel consumption was pretty good for an SUV. It ranged from 11.2L (21 MPG) on the highway (summer) to abt 15.5L (15 MPG) in the city (winter). Usually I averaged between 11.7L - 13.8L (17-20 MPG) It was a very reliable vehicle with no major faults in the 75 k (47 k mi) I put on it. Out of the tons of electronic gadgets this vehicle was equipped with, after over 300 k (190 k mi) only 2 didn't work properly - CD changer was jammed and driver's mirror only moved 2 ways(instead of 4) Ford is known for electronic malfunctions but this wasn't the case in my case. I was extremely happy with this truck and it more than served its purpose for the 4 years I've had it.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer