1997 Ford Explorer

$506–$5,566

Overall

Very good suv

by Brazilian Guy from Campos do Jordão, São Paulo, Brazil | June 15, 2014

I have an Explorer XLT 4WD 1997 and love this car. Fuel consumption is high for the V6, but the strength is exceptional diversity, especially when I needed the four-wheel drive and compact. The comfort and the inner space are unbeatable! The trunk is great and maintenance is almost zero. The best value in the category. Recommend!

Uses car for Off-roading

my little explorer

by hobby car person from northern Iowa | January 4, 2014

this has been a very fun suv to drive. I like the way it handles in all kinds of road conditions( even though it's only 2wd). it only has 125,000 miles on it and is starting to show some wear. I think I could recomend this type of vehicle for someone who is looking for a compact, yet sporty little truck.

GREAT VEHICLE

by Lee from Breinigsville | July 13, 2013

I bought the 97 Expolrer used. So far it's been great. Very comfortable to drive and has a lot of power. This is the Limited Edition with all the options. Power seats with seat memory for the remotes, power sun roof, rear controles for the A/C, even a message center to monitor the vehicle systems. This monitors everything from fuel range to oil change. The center console has a fold out cell phone which can be unplugged, but it was a nice feature in it's day. The cup holders are deep enough to hold a 20 oz cup of coffee without falling over. The one draw back is the fuel economy. This has the V-8 engine. A lot of power, but I average between 14 to 16 mpg. I am very happy with it despite the milage. I would recommend this vehicle.

More than I bargained for...

by OldFaithful from North Port, FL | August 12, 2012

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4. It has leather, sunroof, power driver's seat and plenty of room for the day to day. I have had it since 2009. I bought the vehicle when my foreign car was totaled. I love sitting up high in this truck. It feels solid on the local roads, but sometimes (since it's top heavy) I sway with the wind on the highway. I love my truck. I have only used to 4x4 once, playing around in the mud. It was a blast! I love the extra boost I get with the SOHC 205HP. EPA estimates 16/20 and I see (combined) 18-21 although most times I drive below speed limits to reach that 21.

got my moneys worth and a little extra

by shwick from deleware county | February 4, 2012

i wanted a car...but i wound up buying the 97 explorer xlt...im so glad i did it. although gas mileage isnt that good, it pays off in other areas of driving; acceleration is very impressive..while it can climb to 90 in a rather quick amount of time..i was very suprised. snow and ice is no match with the right tires..the sound of the engine lets you never forget you have power right their waiting for when you step on it..the radio was decent but i changed it;plenty of cargo space..and it is very heavy so you know everyone will be safe if buckled up right in the worst of cases.the seatbelts in the explorer are also very good..they're tight but not constricting. 4/5 overall. go get one

Ford Explorer Sport a great value for the $$$

by SavvyOne from Dallas, TX | October 11, 2011

Bought this SUV new in 1998 and it has been a great car/truck. Had to replace ball joints and do some clutch/master cylinder work, but the engine is in top notch condition at 116K miles. It is more comfortable than our Nissan or Honda. The AC will freeze you out and the heater works great too! The steering is extremely responsive... this vehicle will turn on a dime! It rides best on Michelin tires. There's just nothing bad to say about it. This was my second one. I bought the first one the first year Ford built them and I traded it for this one! They can easy go 250 - 300K.

tranny's are questionable

by bullrider from Ky | March 27, 2011

descent car i guess but transmission issues from day one parts are inexpensive but car tends to nickle and dime you to death excellent maint.is a definate must for these vehicles

It just won't stop

by truchtec from Minnesota | April 29, 2010

I bought this explore for 2k about three years ago. it had over 196000 miles on it and I just needed something to get me around seeing that the car I owned at the time died. my explore now has over 260000 miles on it and the engine hasn't even been touched. It still has the original injectors in it! the only major repairs so far are I replaced the balljoints, which I did myself. took half a day. Me and my explorer have been all over the place. I was in a band and the ford hauled all the gear when we went on tour. I have nicknamed it the trooper because it just won't stop, and it is beyond execllent in the snow. the only thing I don't like about the truck is the underpowered V8, but other than that I don't think I could ever part with it.

Horrible

by I test drove this vehicle from | April 9, 2010

I asked for a car fax and realized they rolled the mileage back, instead of 119,000 miles this cars has 180,000!!!! Do your research!!!!!

Nice Car

by K.G from Shreveport, La | September 25, 2009

I believe this car is a bit over priced for the amount of milage but it also seem to be a good vehicle, I would recommend this vehicle for a friend as a first car.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer