1999 Ford Explorer

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best truck I've Owned

by happy trucker 99 from Floral Park, NY | February 17, 2014

I bought my Explorer with 50,000 miles on it. Besides regular maintenance, a new alternator , shocks and struts, and rear springs, it has been a fantastic truck. I now have 105,000 miles on it, and hope to keep it for another two years!! I would recommend this truck!!

I'm going to miss this car

by Rachel from Olathe, KS | January 31, 2014

My parents bout our '99 explorer from a friend twelve years ago. As of yesterday it bit the bullet, the transmission is slipping and it had been overheating. This car had 245,000 miles on it. If I was willing to put the $2,300 into it to fix the problem, im sure I would get another good year or two out of it. In its old age it began to need more and more costly repairs. But for a 15 year old vehicle, i could not be more proud of how long it lasted. I learned to drive in that old truck! I am so sorry to see it go. It really was a tough, dependable old car.

great purchase

by pomo from SantabRosa,CA | November 11, 2013

Vehicle is what I was looking for the price range found it in one evening on cars.com went to seller next day purchase seller very helpful easy transaction.

Escellent SUV

by Homer from Buffalo Ny | January 6, 2013

I bought this used 8 years ago with 90,000 miles on it. It is still going strong with almost 185,000 miles. Nothing major has gone wrong with it. I had to replace the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley when they started whining but they were very easy to replace. Other than that it has been nothing but brakes and tires for as long as I have owned it. As with any car I follow the owners manual recommendations for preventative maintenance. I am positive I will get at least another 50,000 miles out of it.

A lot of little problems add up to big irritation

by Tr4in from | February 6, 2012

Overall, my 99 explorer has treated me well. It is the little things, smaller problems, that add up to a big irritation with this car. 1. Door locks - Constant problems with the locks and latches with this car. If you lift the drivers side handle before unlocking, it will not unlock at all. The back window in the hatch back will not lock. The hatch back will not open unless one person pushes the unlock button while another person opens the back... sometimes this takes several attempts. 2. Headlights - I've polished the lenses, I've purchased new bulbs, I've adjusted the level... the headlights on dim point too high but when adjusted, the high beams then point too low. The headlights suck for nighttime driving on mountain roads (Colorado & Wyoming). 3. Back window wiper - sometimes works... Never works with washer fluid. Instead, the washer fluid pours out somewhere in the back area of the interior. 4. Dome Lights - Burn out faster than anything I've ever seen! 5. Hydraulics - The hood lacks a post to prop it open, and they hyraulics have gone out which allows for the hood to drop on to a persons head without warning. Same with the back door and window. Hood hydraulics were replaced, and not terribly expensive or difficult, but very frustrating. See... Nothing so horrible that I would "need" a new car, and there is much more to that list, but they are just minor things that really add up.

excellent vehicle

by fordguy from Idah | November 29, 2011

Bought this car new and it still runs like a top. Had some minor problems the first year, but has run great since.

Best tower

by Camper from Wisconsin | September 19, 2011

Bought this used 5 years ago with 90k on it to tow my pop up camper. V8 pulls it like it's hardly there. It now has almost 150k on it and still going strong. You can hardly hear it running. Heated leather seats are nice to have in the winter. Nothing but minor mechanical repairs needed which I would consider normal. Hasn't failed me yet.

Great!

by ford explorer lover from Pampa, TX | July 23, 2011

I just got this car in november and I has been reliable I drive it to work and on travel I've made it 14 hours from my hometown with no problems!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by suv expert from chicago il | November 11, 2010

great reliable car exeted my standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uses car for Towing

One of best ever made

by explorer enthusiast from Houston | August 30, 2010

This is my 2nd explorer and I wish the newer ones were as good, I hate to make a change and have put it off waiting for them to produce a truck equal to this one. It has everything and the newer models don't. I replaced the entire front end (tie rods, ball joints, etc) at 125K but I have abused this truck for years with heavy loads and rough roads. However I've changed the oil regurlarly as well as anti freeze and flushing raidiator. My wife has complained about the ride in the backseat but I've never ridden there so I can't say. However i've replaced the shocks a couple times to help the ride and they needed it everytime I had it done. You can't find a full size concole like this one and I love the lighting on the running boards.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer