2000 Ford Explorer

2000 Ford Explorer

Available in 13 styles:  2000 Ford Explorer 2dr 4x4 shown
$897–$6,809

Overall

it was the most reliable car i every had.

by a go getter from birmingham,al | January 14, 2013

i had to drive the car before i got just to see if it was any good. it had all my features that i wanted. i was very focused on the car i wanted.

Worht your money

by Old Explorer from Fort Worth, Texas | December 12, 2012

In November 2012, I sold a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS that I purchased new in May 2000. I put 182k miles on the vehicle and had no major mechanical problems. The biggest issue I had was having to have the fuel injectors cleaned when the vehicle was 6 years old. Other than that, it ran well and I just had to repair normal wear and tear parts. To say I got my money's worth out of the vehicle would be an understatement.

Very reliable with low maintenance costs

by Paul from South Dakota | February 3, 2012

I bought my Explorer XLT with 44K miles. It now has 182K miles. I follow the Owner's Manual for scheduled maintenance. Amazingly very few repairs. 17.4 mpg tank to tank but it gets 20 mpg on long trips. Original tranny and V-8 engine operate as new. Hoping to drive my Explorer to 225K and then buy another one. This vehicle stays on the road in bad snow storms!! I buy Goodyear Wrangler tires.

Best SUV MADE

by Muscle car lover from Maryland | May 17, 2011

Execelent handling outstanding interior comfort reliable and powerfull motor execelent in snow number 1selling SUV for years

Safe and reliable

by Lucky to be alive from West nj | April 9, 2011

I just was in a roll over accident and walked away with a few cuts. bought at 66k miles and had 175k when I flipped it over 3 times. Only replaced the radiator and steering rack. I'm lucky and this truck served me well. There was some rattles but for me I made a good purchase

Dependable and usable

by Truck enthusiast from Sioux City, IA | March 1, 2011

Owned my Sport since 2007. Just love it. Pulled a 5x8 trailer from Vegas to Iowa and couldn't even tell it was back there! Got between 17 and 20 mpg too. The hatch makes great for hauling anything from lawn mower to groceries.

Pretty Solid

by Explorer from Long Island, NY | February 2, 2011

It's been 2 years since I bought this truck. From the day I bought it up until now, it's treated me well for the most part. However, there are a few things I'd like to point out to anyone interested in buying one of these trucks... - Last year at this time, I had the entire front end replaced with new parts (ball joints, upper control arms, stabilizer bars). Ford charges a major artery for parts, so I managed to get the parts for an affordable price. I ended up spending about $350 with the price of renting a ball joint press to get those joints out. I read up on this issue and other people had this problem. Even my mechanic told me that he's done this kind of work/found this on other Explorers and Expeditions of this year. - I was parking my truck one day, and put it in park (with no force) and all of a sudden it started going backwards. Thankfully, I got right back in and put the e-brake on. To make it short, turns out it was the shifting column that needed to be readjusted/aligned. Fortunately for me, I knew a guy who only charged me $40 to fix this, but I would assume this fix would of cost a lot more than I paid for it. Once again, talked to my mechanic and said that's another known problem of Ford trucks of this year. There are several other small annoying problems that I can deal with. All in all, it's not a bad truck if you're looking for something to get you from point A to point B, a truck that handles like a champ in snow/bad weather conditions. The gas mileage could be better, but it's an SUV/Truck, so you don't buy it for saving gas. I have to say, though, Ford did its homework when it came to the 4WD. However, I think the transfer case could be made better. The transition from "Auto", to "4 Low" or "4 High" won't go immediately unless if you put the car in the "neutral" position. If I was in a tight spot for money, I would probably buy this truck again/recommend to a friend.

Best SUV I've Owned

by Explorer Fan from Phoenix, AZ | August 17, 2010

The Ford Explorer XLT is the best SUV I've ever owned. It is a solid vehicle that handles well when in 4WD. I like that you don't have to put the vehicle in 4WD because it reads the road and does it automatically. The cargo area is large so I don't have to worry that I won't have the room to transport all my purchases. I loved this vehicle so much that I bought another newer Ford Explorer XLT.

Engine won't Die

by Rick from Lowell Massachusetts | July 26, 2010

Bought it used with 70,000 on it, at 102,000 it developed Timing chain Rattle, Ford knew about this happening in their 4.0 engines, called ford and found out I was 2,000 miles over their warrenty, Was going to fix it myself, Bought the service manuel, first 2 words in the chapter about timming chain replacement was "Remove Engine". No Thanks, The truck NOW has 160,000 miles on it, Heh Heh, This truck is thumbing its nose at Ford, I LOVE this truck, It just goes and Goes! Never any Big problems

Best SUV Ever owned

by SUV4life from | July 18, 2010

This suv is amazing its not only for soccer mom's i am a young guy and don't have kids and i still drive this truck. Amazing the only bad thing is the gas gets pricey after awhile.