2001 Ford Explorer

Available in 11 styles:  2001 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Not too shabby.

by Will from Michigan | September 28, 2014

I've driven a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT for 5 years now, and my mom drove it for 2 years before that. We got it for really cheap with a salvage title, and it's been consistent and reliable. We have the 4.0l V6 with an automatic transmission. The gas mileage is embarrassing, and the tires are ridiculously expensive, but it holds its own and starts and drives every time I want it to. The 4x4 is awesome, and it seems to work for the car they put it into. I once got myself out of a ditch in Michigan in a snowstorm almost immediately and without effort just by trying with the 4x4 engaged, which honestly is the event that made this car worth dealing with the gas mileage to me. I don't like the styling, and the buttons/knobs are the same cheap plastic they used in my 1994 Aerostar (they literally might be interchangeable in some places - it's ugly). The cloth is nice, I've yet to tear any of it or have it stain unreasonably. I replaced the stock stereo with an updated system, but I kind of miss the 6 disc changer that comes with the premium sound package. Mine's got 2 12v "cigarette lighter" plugs (one front and center and one down near the floor on the passenger side), two cup holders, a built-in tissue dispenser with a coin dispenser built in, and plenty of room in the glove compartment and the center console to hold anything you could possibly need. The back seats fold mostly flat (if you're tall, the driver's seat inhibits it going down past a certain point, but the area is still pretty flat, and huge). I do all the maintenance myself, and changing the oil is a quick affair. The brake pads are easy to get to and easy to replace as well. The hydraulic lifts in the hood and back hatch went bad at some point, but if they were original, they lasted for ten or more years, so that's not bad. Cheap replacements are available. The back wiper snapped off when it became frozen to the window, but that's my fault not Ford's. Parts have been cheap enough, as cheap as you'd expect domestic car parts to be, which is nice. Lots and lots of aftermarket parts are available. I've never done any real major maintenance on the car, Just brakes, tires and oil changes every 3-5k miles, keep the fluids topped off. I would take this on a road trip today with an oil change and a quick inspection. It is an SUV and handles as such, and I definitely prefer driving something a little bit lower to the ground, the car doesn't corner well (although it's not scary if you just take it easy), but it accelerates quickly, and it's heavy enough despite its design not to blow around on the highway too much. It's high enough to see out of over traffic, and that makes it much less stressful driving in traffic jams as most of the time you can see a lot over the car in front of you. Overall, I suppose if I had a kid, this is a car I would get for them. Very safe, very tall, powerful but not too powerful. Lots of cargo room, or seats if you need them. Insurance isn't too expensive, either.

Man's best friend?

by Bob in Idaho from Star, Idaho | April 21, 2014

I bought new in Montana for the deep snow and it has travelled across the country four times. I have the Eddie Bauer with V6 and 5 speed auto trans. The leather has held up well, even in the rear which has been subjected to car seats and booster seats since the truck was new. At about 70,000 miles, the water pump died and we had to call a tow truck. I replaced it myself, as well as all the brake pads and rotors. At 100,000 miles I had all the shocks and the front lower ball joints replaced. It drives like new again. Longtime mileage with mixed city and highway is 18.9 mpg. The display on the radio doesn't work, and the front sway bar end links tend to break if taken off road. It will get stuck in the mud, but has never been stuck in the snow.

Dependable and Wonderful SUV

by ford guy from Indiana, United States | January 24, 2014

We have had a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4 V6 for 10 years now, and it has prevailed through a LOT of offroading and 4x4 use. This SUV has been everywhere from muddy forests to digging cars out of 5 feet of snow and to just everyday city driving. Sometimes while in the city I wonder where the gas went, but on the highway the mileage is decent. The Auto, 4x4 high and 4x4 low features are great on this SUV. The Auto 4x4 kicks in as soon as the rear tires start slipping. To make an investment in this SUV is worth it, even with the half decent gas mileage.

Uses car for Off-roading

a dependable car

by godzuky from MIchigan | December 13, 2012

had this car for 10 years now and while their have been things that have gone bad on it and needed to be replaced, such are vehicles, they do get older and need to be repaired. I live in Michigan and it is a perfect car here in the winter, I was even able to make it to pick up my daughter many miles from home when her car got stuck in a blizzard and without any problems getting there and back (even picked up a few people along the way). have over 200,000 on it now and it is still used every day, very dependable. The back seats go down and you do have a lot of room for a lot of stuff. It has a lot of power and I am able to pull my boat around without any problems. My wife has hit two deer with it (or should I say they hit her) it has a few dents but I have chosen to take the money instead of getting it fixed (not often you get a check from your car) but even with the two dents I would NOT get rid of it. It is not all good though. I find the back seat isn't very comfortable and it hurts my back if I am in it more than 1 hour. Gas millage isn't good at all. do NOT make any sudden moves on the freeway traveling more than 70 MPH, this is an SUV and it will roll on you, be careful, handling at high speeds isn't great at all. and little things like the light for the controls on the steering wheel went out and both rear doors are broken and do not open from the inside (good luck getting those parts).

Poor choice

by Heart broken truck owner from st. albans | April 16, 2012

The vehicle has been nothing but a problem since I purchased it. All major work needed to be done nothing minor. (just my luck) I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

love my ford

by love my ford from NH | April 25, 2011

I bought my explorer new 11years ago and other than regular service , wear & tear items it has served me well. I live in NH and my explorer handles snow, ice , hills and mud without a problem. I average about 18 mpg so this would be my only negative. Anytime friends get stuck in bad weather I get the bail out call!

No more Fords for me

by Exploder from Germantown, MD | December 7, 2009

After owning a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport for over 2 years, I now understand why the company is having financial difficulties! I purchased the SUV to tow my jet ski and small boat. It continues to baffle me how little refinement was engineered into this SUV. Poor ride, poor handling, scary highway driving dynamics!! and an interior that rattles constantly on smooth pavement. Compared to my 2001 Nissan Xterra with approximately the same mileage, the Ford is archaic! The Nissan is still rock solid with no squeaks or jarring driving dynamics. The Xterra feels downright luxury compared to the Explorer.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great car !!

by RiDdLe from Northfield MN | November 22, 2009

Great car... Bought used - I put over 100,000 miles on it, still runs great. There is a few things that have broken (diver door lock )light on raidio. It went throught a very bad hail storm (2+ inch) Next I would like the SPORT-TRAC (same- diffent body)

a great car

by tj from las vegas | December 5, 2008

ive had my explorer for about a year i bought itused at 108k miles and im at 123k now its thebest carive owned byfari havent had to do any major work on it yet and i hope it stays that way. only thing i dontlike is that its notthe best off-road vehicle ive gotten stuck a few times in a few offroad runs other than its a great vehicle

A pretty good vehicle

by Construction worker from Waterloo, IA | March 2, 2008

I think it is a pretty good vehicle, I tend to think it is sort of squirrly in the wind at higher speeds

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer