2001 Ford Explorer

$495–$7,407

Overall

Man's best friend?

by Bob in Idaho from Star, Idaho | April 21, 2014

I bought new in Montana for the deep snow and it has travelled across the country four times. I have the Eddie Bauer with V6 and 5 speed auto trans. The leather has held up well, even in the rear which has been subjected to car seats and booster seats since the truck was new. At about 70,000 miles, the water pump died and we had to call a tow truck. I replaced it myself, as well as all the brake pads and rotors. At 100,000 miles I had all the shocks and the front lower ball joints replaced. It drives like new again. Longtime mileage with mixed city and highway is 18.9 mpg. The display on the radio doesn't work, and the front sway bar end links tend to break if taken off road. It will get stuck in the mud, but has never been stuck in the snow.

Dependable and Wonderful SUV

by ford guy from Indiana, United States | January 24, 2014

We have had a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4 V6 for 10 years now, and it has prevailed through a LOT of offroading and 4x4 use. This SUV has been everywhere from muddy forests to digging cars out of 5 feet of snow and to just everyday city driving. Sometimes while in the city I wonder where the gas went, but on the highway the mileage is decent. The Auto, 4x4 high and 4x4 low features are great on this SUV. The Auto 4x4 kicks in as soon as the rear tires start slipping. To make an investment in this SUV is worth it, even with the half decent gas mileage.

Uses car for Off-roading

a dependable car

by godzuky from MIchigan | December 13, 2012

had this car for 10 years now and while their have been things that have gone bad on it and needed to be replaced, such are vehicles, they do get older and need to be repaired. I live in Michigan and it is a perfect car here in the winter, I was even able to make it to pick up my daughter many miles from home when her car got stuck in a blizzard and without any problems getting there and back (even picked up a few people along the way). have over 200,000 on it now and it is still used every day, very dependable. The back seats go down and you do have a lot of room for a lot of stuff. It has a lot of power and I am able to pull my boat around without any problems. My wife has hit two deer with it (or should I say they hit her) it has a few dents but I have chosen to take the money instead of getting it fixed (not often you get a check from your car) but even with the two dents I would NOT get rid of it. It is not all good though. I find the back seat isn't very comfortable and it hurts my back if I am in it more than 1 hour. Gas millage isn't good at all. do NOT make any sudden moves on the freeway traveling more than 70 MPH, this is an SUV and it will roll on you, be careful, handling at high speeds isn't great at all. and little things like the light for the controls on the steering wheel went out and both rear doors are broken and do not open from the inside (good luck getting those parts).

Poor choice

by Heart broken truck owner from st. albans | April 16, 2012

The vehicle has been nothing but a problem since I purchased it. All major work needed to be done nothing minor. (just my luck) I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

love my ford

by love my ford from NH | April 25, 2011

I bought my explorer new 11years ago and other than regular service , wear & tear items it has served me well. I live in NH and my explorer handles snow, ice , hills and mud without a problem. I average about 18 mpg so this would be my only negative. Anytime friends get stuck in bad weather I get the bail out call!

No more Fords for me

by Exploder from Germantown, MD | December 7, 2009

After owning a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport for over 2 years, I now understand why the company is having financial difficulties! I purchased the SUV to tow my jet ski and small boat. It continues to baffle me how little refinement was engineered into this SUV. Poor ride, poor handling, scary highway driving dynamics!! and an interior that rattles constantly on smooth pavement. Compared to my 2001 Nissan Xterra with approximately the same mileage, the Ford is archaic! The Nissan is still rock solid with no squeaks or jarring driving dynamics. The Xterra feels downright luxury compared to the Explorer.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great car !!

by RiDdLe from Northfield MN | November 22, 2009

Great car... Bought used - I put over 100,000 miles on it, still runs great. There is a few things that have broken (diver door lock )light on raidio. It went throught a very bad hail storm (2+ inch) Next I would like the SPORT-TRAC (same- diffent body)

a great car

by tj from las vegas | December 5, 2008

ive had my explorer for about a year i bought itused at 108k miles and im at 123k now its thebest carive owned byfari havent had to do any major work on it yet and i hope it stays that way. only thing i dontlike is that its notthe best off-road vehicle ive gotten stuck a few times in a few offroad runs other than its a great vehicle

A pretty good vehicle

by Construction worker from Waterloo, IA | March 2, 2008

I think it is a pretty good vehicle, I tend to think it is sort of squirrly in the wind at higher speeds

Best SUV

by Scootie from SC | February 14, 2008

I have this SUV and It has put up with some serious abuse! I love it as my daily driver. This car is awesome!!! I really recomend getting one, so long as you keep the fluids in check, it'll keep and keep.