2002 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer

Available in 8 styles:  2002 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best vehicle I've ever owned!!!

by LoveMyExplorer21 from Middletown, Ohio | March 21, 2014

Bought a 2002 Explorer Limited 4WD with the 4.0L V6 used in 2010 with 110K miles and now I have 150K miles on it with no problems at all. All I've done is changed the oil every 3K miles, the tires at 134K miles and that's it. No problems. The comfortable leather seats provide all-day comfort in the first and second rows. The third-row seats are actually usable and are very roomy and comfy, not always common with three-row SUVs and vans. Ford's 4.0L V6 pulls strong and sounds great. The 4WD system works very well in snowy Ohio winters, this past winter was like the storm of the century so it was definitely needed! I love the stereo, I can play my favorite albums with exceptional sound quality! It is loaded with everything you could want in an SUV, like leather (as mentioned above), heated seats which are great in the winter, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, dual-zone AC, and lots of in-vehicle storage including pockets for the second row and a big center storage bin for the front driver and passenger. I could not be any happier with my baby, my Explorer! Made in the USA!

Nice ride

by Ford Fanatic from Ohio | November 15, 2013

Good vehicle with a good price ,Clean and decent vehicle, good ride runs great. Satisfied with purchase.

Outstanding Service for 7 years now!

by Happy SUV owner from Dallas, TX | November 10, 2013

I bought my 2002 Explorer in 2006 with 60K miles on it. Since then I have put 120K miles on it. This is an excellent vehicle - very comfortable, great gas mileage and low, low maintenance. Previously I only had Japanese cars. The 3rd row seat and price point convinced me to try an American vehicle - I'm glad I did. These vehicles are tough - built to last. The 3rd row seat comes in handy when we have to offer rides to others. We have toured all over the US in this wonderful vehicle and not a single complaint from anyone in the family - everyone loves this vehicle. The 120K miles we put on this vehicle have been a pleasant experience. HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone looking for a good SUV with good gas mileage and low maintenance. The 3rd row seat is a bonus in case you have to offer a ride to extended family or friends.

good value

by goch1 from IOWA | September 3, 2013

I bought this 2002 Explorer in August, 2013 with 120K miles on it. As an 11 yr old vehicle, we feel like we are really getting our money's worth. It is performing well, and getting the kind of gas mileage that we expect (20MPG). It is a plain jane model, but provides all the confort and convenience that we need. The dealer was 160 miles from home, but it was worth the trip, and we would recommend Hastings Ford in Hastings, MN. They are a faith-based dealer and honesty is an important part of the way they do business.

Best purchase ever made

by EDianeT from Ohio | April 20, 2013

I love how much space there is even with a 3rd row seat. Lots of leg room. Very strong engine. Overall one of the most comfortable vehicles ive ever drove/rode in.

The best model of ford that I' Owned

by I love cars. from Orlando, Florida | February 9, 2013

My first car was mustang, 1966. The rest of my life I've owned fords, but the last two explorers have being great no problems, what so ever.

Our 1st luxury car we ever owned.

by coloradobell from montrose co | August 31, 2012

We just brought a 02 explorer with only 58000. We are the cars' second owners. We up graded from 81 chevy blazer . The old owners took excellant care of this car. Its looks and acts like it just came of the assembly line. We live in middle of Rockies in Colorado so we knew we had to get a vechical that could take on the winter, plus get us over the passes when traveling. This our 1st luxury car, AND my husband loves it.He is 16 year parts veteran for carquest. Not one word of cost for parts for this car, Which awesome!! He loves the big truck feeling, I love the space and 3rd seats for grandchildren. We don't miss the Blazer at all!!

EXCELLENT RIDE, VALUE, & SAFETY

by Comsumer Advocate from NJ | July 13, 2012

This is a very reliable car and very well priced for the year & mileage. If you look at the other models of the same SUV, dealers have these listed for 2 or 3 times more. Check the car fax. It has only had the rear bumper replaced & has NO accidents ! I have had several different makes & models of SUV's. The Ford Explorer is definitely the best of all worlds between the different types of SUV's. It is easy & fun to drive, fits an entire family & 2 German shepherd Dogs. I do not have a third row seat. I have never had a a mechanical problem with this SUV - EVER. I would buy this SUV for my son or daughter. I would recommend this SUV to anyone.

Fantastic Overall Use Vehicle

by moe_larry_cheese from Valparaiso, IN | June 5, 2012

Have owned an '02 Explorer SLT since brand new. It has the 3rd row seating, towing package and auxiliary rear AC/Heat. In addition, I installed an aftermarket 3.5mm input for my MP3 player which plays right through the CD player. Upside While it won't win any exterior style points it's an awesomely roomy vehicle as it can haul up to 4'x8' sheets of plywood INSIDE. Seats up to 7. Has a ride far more like a car than a truck. The paint job is unbelievable. I think it was rated as one of the best years. 10 years later and all I do is wash it and people ask me if I've waxed it. AC and heat work very well. Has never stranded me or let me down. Hit a deer at 55 MPH one night. Still perfect driving condition. Damage only to the bumper, foglamps, headlights and windshield washer tank. Radiator was intact. Very roomy engine comoartment. Easy to maintain. Downside Won't win any beauty awards although I don't think it's an ugly vehicle. Just not "attractive". Several repairs from minor (rear blower and temp actuators) to mid-major (replaced the 4 wheel drive unit under dash). Gas Mileage is only fair (16 overall). 4 wheel and differential seals tend to leak (twice). While easy and inexpensive to fix they are still a pain since they leave spots all over garage floor. Certain small areas prone to rust due to design. Inside door wells mostly.

'02 Explorer - Junk

by Sports Nut from New York State | May 25, 2012

I've had problems with the truck from the time I purchased it new. Seat belt for the 3rd row seat not working correctly. Handles for the compartment where the spare tire is keeps braking. The window on the passenger side broke when it was down, couldn't get it back up. I had to cover it up until I could get it fixed. The back springs both disingrated to nothing at about 40,000 miles. The transmission had to be replaced a little over 51,000 miles. Warranty expired a 50,000 miles. I call Ford to see if they could help cover some of the cost since it was about 1,000 miles past the warranty expired. Fords answer was - Sorry, your warranty is expired, we will not help you. Good customer relations. Not a let me see if there is anything we can do for you. Makes me want to buy another Ford with an answer like that. Had to replace the wheel bearings twice between 75,000 and 90,000 miles. I've owned five used car that were non Fords and have never put one third of the cost of repairs into them as I have with the Ford. I will never buy another Ford product again.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer