2003 Ford Explorer

Available in 34 styles:  2003 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x2 shown

Overall

Rich's cars and credit

by car obsession from | November 17, 2014

I had to give up my old car. and went to richs car and credit in logan utah. Jacob Olson really helped me out of what would fit in my budget. it was amazing! the car is so nice. has a little bit of nicks here and there. They really work with you and your budget and get you into something that you really like.

Great 1st car

by Car Buyer from Scottsdale, AZ | May 30, 2013

I bought this car for my son. It is a great first car for him. Very comfortable and high off the ground.

my new used car

by lefty from | April 4, 2013

the explorer is great for what i wanted plenty of room in the interior and auto four wheal or full time four wheal when i need it and plenty of power for my needs

ford produces a very sound explorer

by spacechild from maumee,oh. | November 27, 2012

i bought the 03' 10 months ago,and have been very happy, minus the gas milege in the city (but it is a suv) i've used it in off road (nothing crazy) travel, extreme snow, it just eats it up. i bought it with 122,000, and i just clicked 135,000 taken it on 2 different trips at 1,200 miles each, and it performed like a champ. other than a set of tires, and oil changes, and the factory stereo. i havn't put any other money into it. at this rate i would have to say "i would buy this very capable vehichle again"

Transmission goes and so does ...

by Mjay from Columbia, sc | July 7, 2012

everything else ! We purchased an '03 Explorer w/ 27k miles on it. The vehicle is now 9 yrs old w/ 153k mi and everything is falling apart. it may seem old to some but 9 yrs in Toyota and Honda yrs is not old, especially for the problems we're experiencing. In the last month we have replaced the following:: the transmission ($1800), rear bearings ($450), upper ball joints ($350), coolant repair ($230), head gasket ($200). Generally, the Explorer was a good fit for our family, and we want to support American cars but this level of repair seems excessive for a 9 yr old vehicle in comparison to some foreign cars. I expect more from our American car makers. They have been given a second chance. No more of this hit or miss stuff, please !!!

Very pleased with the Explorer

by grits from Minnesota | April 9, 2012

We have owned a 98 and 99 Explorer in the past and loved them so wanted another one when we were looking for a second vehicle. We wanted the newer style but had to stay within budget so we found a 2003 that we feel in love with. It's a Limited so it has the 2 extra seats in the back. I myself haven't sat back there but our 10 year old said when she did, it is tight but it works for having the extra seating when needed. We love everything with it from the sunroof, leather seats, back up assist, adjustable brake pedal, dual temperature controls and keyless entry and more. We got this one for a really good price, better then others we have found and it had 163,000 miles on it. The only downside was the tires need to be replaces asap, but otherwise it's in great condition so whoever had it before took care of it. It's a smooth ride and can't even tell it's running when idle. We later found out it even has side airbags so that makes it even safer.

Lots of Pros, Lots of Mechanical Problems

by Ford Owner from Indiana | October 20, 2011

I have owned this Ford Explorer for 5 years. It pulls great, has an attractive design inside and out. The interior is very spacious and versatile allowing for many possibilities. I have had blow up mattress in the back during camping, to laying down the seats and putting in a full rick of wood in the back. Had transmission issues with it at a very low mileage though. I have spent thousands keeping up with the maintenance. The constant mechanical issues is my only downfall. I love everything else about it!

Dependable car

by modnajm from lancaster.pa | August 19, 2011

I would recommend this car to every body,good car for every thing,work,fun,travel,more than 10 years i driving those types of cars,i like it

Love to drive it, some quirks.

by Dennis from Central CT | December 30, 2010

This is my third Ford Explorer - owned a 1st generation 1994, a 2nd generation 1997 5.0 V8 AWD, and now a 3rd generation 2003 Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8. I love this vehicle - or I should say that I'd like to love this vehicle more than I actually do. I bought this used with 47,000 miles on it - very low mileage for the year. The day after I drove it off the lot, I suspected a transmission issue (I had read through several online Ford and Explorer forums that the transmissions were hit-or-miss). A trip to my local repair shop (should have brought it there before signing the papers) confirmed that the transmission was on it's way out and that it also had a bad wheel bearing. I will say that the dealer was very good about everything. Being seven years old, they really didn't have to do anything for it. The dealer replaced the wheel bearing and reimbursed me their cost for a replacement (used) transmission ($1500). I took the Explorer to a qualified transmission shop and had them do a rebuild on the transmission ($2200). So, I was out $700, but I did get a good deal on the car initially. The transmission still has a couple of minor quirks that the shop and I are working toward fixing. I've also noticed another noise/feel from the front that I'm hoping isn't either the front differential or transfer case. Unfortunately, I think with all of the "progress" in car manufacturing, there are more issues to crop up (there are many more electronic solenoids on the transmission now). On the positive side of things, the V8 absolutely rockets! This 4.6 engine runs circles around my old 5.0l. The acceleration is addicting - I'm sure that gas mileage reflects this as it's all too tempting to get on the gas and listen to the nice V8 rumble. It's not a sports car, but for an SUV, it certainly moves along pretty well. The ride is smooth and comfortable and overall the Explorer fits me, my wife, and our two young kids very well. I just keep my fingers crossed that the weak-links (transmission, differentials) don't rear their ugly heads.

I LOVE Explorers!

by Chase from Burlington, CT | October 4, 2010

I bought my first explorer (an 03) to be higher and safer than in my eclipse. I got in an accident a few months after getting the car. Another person lost control on an extremely icy highway bridge and hit me, slammed up against a side rail and another car took off my open passenger door while I was in the drivers seat getting insurance info. A third car hit the side of my car again as well. It was a REALLY bad Ice Storm and every car that drove over the bridge got in an accident. I walked away. It was such a safe and sturdy car. It was deemed totaled and I ran out and bought another, this time an 06. After my 06 I bought another 03 and have loved all of them. They were all extremely reliable and never gave me any trouble. Had to replace rotors at about 80k on my 03, which is a normal part that goes on this car, if you buy one close to 70 or 80k, ask if this has been done, its a cheap part ($150 from autozone and my dad did the work) but it wouldve been more at a dealer. Gas mileage was always 17.5 for me, everytime I calculated it, I do both highway and city but never always highway or city and whatever the mix I always got 17.5 but I am an easy driver too. Im 21 so Im not a granny but Im not a 16 year old in a mustang either. Great cars, will own many more!

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer