2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer

Available in 32 styles:  2004 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

150,000 miles and going strong!

by Cwbankman from Caledonia MI | July 12, 2014

I purchased my explorer new in 2004. Yes, some things have needed to be fixed over the years, however, most have been typical. I did buy the extended warranty which covered most of the expenses. The body is still not showing any rust due to the trim package protecting the wheel wells from salt. The transmission is original but shifts a little abruptly when cold and the internal computer has had to be replaced twice. The 4.6 liter V8 runs like a charm. The oil has been changed on a regular basis and it does not burn or use any. I do however need to replace the from wheel bearing assemblies soon. I have had to replace the rear will bearings many years ago. I have had a couple of electrical issues stemming from the driver's door. Overall, it has been a good vehicle. The repair costs are far less per year than the payments were. It has pretty dependable and we still take it on long trips because to the space. This is the third one I have had. I leased a 1999 and a 2002. The 2002 needed a new transmission along with many other repairs.

The 2002-2004 transmission is not dependable

by n from | February 6, 2014

I bought mine with a 112,000 looks brand new to this day, however the drive line and transmission has giving me nothing but problems. @ 117,000 the rear end and drive shaft had to be replace. I have not even used 4x4 at that point yet. 122,000 front wheel barring went. @133,000 transmission went with out a warning, Whining and will not engage reverse or drive past second gear. You cannot check the transmission fluid with out crawling underneath and you have to use hex to check from the bottom of the pan. Overall just the worst vehicle i have ever owned. Bought this vehicle because i needed something reliable and all i got is a pretty piece of junk! i drove this vehicle 24 miles each way to work.

Absolutely great car!!

by Jade from Springfield, Il. | January 26, 2014

I bought this car in 2001 (2 yrs. old) with 46,000 miles on it. The mileage is now at 215,000+. It has the original tranny, engine, exhaust system and I have never had to do anything to them except normal maintenance. I have spent money on it but you have to with any car to keep it in good condition. It still runs like a charm and I will keep it until something really expensive breaks down....I might even consider fixing that! I love this car!

Drive What You Love

by Explorer Girl from Knoxville, TN | September 27, 2013

Best vehicle that I have ever owned. Evidently my family agreed since they all borrowed it whenever they took long trips. This could be because of its comfort and great handling. I have towed everything with it from a tandem trailer to a pontoon. The mileage is not as good as our car, but then look what you get : space, 4x4 is great in snow or mud, ground clearance, great ride, towing capabilities, great price, and more. It is a fun vehicle. Things that I did not like: you must run matched tires at all times,and the faulty hinges on the rear window. After 150,000 miles it started needing lots of repairs so I made them before I traded it off. Trading it off was a big mistake. I will buy another one Ford Explorer.

More vehicle than I expected for the money!

by Explorer fan from Troy, OH | December 19, 2012

I never would have looked at a Honda dealership for a used Explorer. Cars.com made it possible for me to find an SUV that looked like new. Very pleased. Thank you cars.com.

Just like new

by Dan from Oceanside, CA | September 22, 2012

I purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer on s private sale with 134000 miles. I have been in the rental car business for many years and have driven Ford Explorers quite often. This one drove exactly as I would expect from a new one. No paint wear and Ford carpets clean up like new. The leather seats have some wear and can't be made to look brand new. The best I could get was very good and with one small tear on the left side if the driver seat. Every Explorer I looked at had this same damage. Expect that a cared for Explorer should run exactly the same as a brand new one and if it doesn't then there is something wrong. The interior buttons and carpet should not be stained or worn even at high mileage. If it is then the vehicle may have been used hard. I did have to replace the alternator and an oxygen sensor but both of these were easy to diagnose and fix by ordinary mechanics.

My favourite suv

by Carman99 from | July 27, 2012

My ford explorer was a great suv. I got good mileage and handled the snow like a champ without 4wd. The interior was comfy and it had great cargo space. Good for long road trips or just normal commute.

A Paragon Of Excellence

by SonuvaForddealer from Florida | June 4, 2012

This is my first Explorer, although I've owned just about every other model Ford has made over the years and this one is replacing an E-150 conversion van I no longer need. The independent mech who has maintained all of my cars, when I asked him what he thought of them, said "I've never heard anyone say anything bad about an Explorer". And yes, my family owned a Ford dealership but my dad died when I was 13 and we sold the dealership so it's been many years since I've had a financial interest. IMHO Ford blew it in 2011 when they took a front wheel drive sedan, put a SUV body on it and desecrated the Explorer name badge which is why I'll never have any one built after 2010.

bad transmissions.

by biggeorge from mesa, az | April 23, 2012

Wish I had gone on line and looked up the 2004 explorer. I would have found out that it must have the worst transmission of any other car on the road. Six weeks afterI bought it the tranny started shifting into reverse after about a five second delay,with a loud thud. Foward gears wanted to shft about all at the same time. Thank God I bought the warranty. New tranny was $2600.

Love it

by green from columbia, mo | January 17, 2012

We bought ours in 2006 w/33K miles. It runs like a top, have never had any major problems with it. Cloth seats are easy to clean, exterior still shines like a new dime. Gas mileage could be better, but overall we are very happy with our very reliable truck!