2005 Ford Explorer

2005 Ford Explorer
Available in 20 styles:  2005 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Good... until about 100k miles.

by Rifter from Boise, Id | April 1, 2014

Great, roomy interior, nice ride, gets you where you want to go (when working). But, it has MAJOR flaws. First of all, the transmission lasted 105,000 miles. That is not that uncommon. This is a MAJOR problem. Heater arm breaks, another very common occurrence. It is a $70 part, with about a $700 install fee because of how hard it is to get to. A piece in the back, under the window cracks. Watch when you follow any Explorer from this time frame, that piece is cracked through on EVERY one. I like the car itself, he has been great for taking the family on trips (even stuffed my wife and I, our daughter, dog, and my parents into it for a 6 hour trip, and had all our bags). These mechanical failures, due to cost cutting, are terrible. These are very common failures on the 2005 Explorer, and I do not know if or when they have been rectified.

2005 Ford Explorer -- piece of junk

by lover of texas from San Antonio, TX | December 12, 2013

My husband purchased a 05 Ford explorer last year with 120k miles for a decent price. The couple selling it lived in nice area; has been one owner vehicle; used synenthic oil; no problems per owner. At 150k transmission failed. Also mechanic says timing belt is making noises (I had mentioned this to hubby on Sunday prior to Tuesday breakdown). Timing belt is a pain in butt at $2,000 and transmission repair is over $3,000. Has been very expensive vehicle to drive for 13 months. We paid cash for it and now have a big hunk of junk.

Great SUV

by EXPLORER from | December 4, 2013

I have a blue 2005 explorer XLT. I bought it when it was new and i still have it today. I have logged over 225k miles on it. I have never had any problems with the tranny or engine. The only thing i don't like about the car is the low height of the 3rd row seats. OVERALL VERY GOOD CAR. LOOKING TO TAKE HER TO 300K

Ford Explorer

by Retired from Fort Wayne, Indiana | October 21, 2013

An attractive & reliable vehicle, the Explorer has many standard features that are optional on competing vehicles. It features a comfortable sound ride with only the mileage the only drawback in my review. Retired & liking it.

Dependable

by SBVegetarian from Midwest | September 10, 2013

Owned a 2005 Explorer XLT. Super reliable piece of equipment. Just routine maintenance and age-appropriate repairs rolling over 100,000 miles. Plenty of cargo space, and as someone who is tall and has a tall family, I appreciated the comfort of the seating. Comfortably hauled 2 large kayaks on top and 2 small ones inside when the third row seats were folded down. Additionally, using the tow package, put a bike rack on the back and hauled 4 bikes all at the same time as the kayaks.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

A Great vehicle

by Mike from Las Vegas, Nevada | August 20, 2013

I have owned this explorer from day one, it has 87,000 miles, over the past six years of ownership no major problems, just maintenance, battery replacement, tires and oil changes( I have only used Castrol Synthetic oil. It has a V8 that get's 19-21 mpg on Hwy and 13-15 city driving. It really shows off the power by knocking off the top of any hill you can take. One of FORD'S best vehicles

yep

by yep from upstate ny | October 7, 2011

Just bought for wife. So far so good. 97k on 05 limited and 19 highway no city yet. Rides nice. This is coming from a gm silverado all I ever bought and owned kind of guy

2005 is a solid and reliable Truck

by Oregon Explorer from Eugene, Oregon | August 24, 2011

I currently drive a 2005 V6 XLT Explorer This is my second Explorer, My first was a 1991 V6 XLT I logged 300K Miles on the 1991.It started to collect dust after I started driving a Honda CR-V "Tin-Can" to save on gas. It wasn't long until I was rear ended at a Red Light in the little Honda, by a Subaru Tribeca at 45mph. The Honda was totalled by the collision and I have been in a world of pain for the last 7 Years as a result. (Please Don't Text and Drive....). Anyway, after the accident I decided to go back to the Ford Explorer. I Traded my 91 in on an old Datsun Z. Then Bought a Silver Birch 2005 XLT V6 Explorer with Graphite Interior. The truck had just under 95K on the Drivetrain when Purchased for Under $10,000 U.S. This Truck doesn't just look good. This Truck is a highly capable handler both on and off the Road. It has provided a superior level of comfort and been super reliable in all weather conditions. ( Including deep snow and temperatures well below zero.) She has 150K Miles On her now. In 55k miles I have replaced a split cooling hose, and had a little transmission maintenance done. I have spent under $1,000 in Maintenance including oil and differential fluid changes. (I am due for some fresh Shocks) This truck tows well, and grips like a gecko in bad ice and snow on standard A/T's in 4x4. I have really put this vehicle through it's passes. It has never failed me. The Truck is every bit as tough as my old 1991 but so much more refined. To top it all off, the 2002-2005 runs fantastic on Ethanol. The Ethanol where I live is made from left over pulp and skins from fruit and vegetables and travels less than 50 miles to reach the station. I fill up on Ethanol when ever i can and feel great about it! OK Three Important things. 1. The Ford Explorer was not Designed/Programmed for Cruse Control under speeds of 50 miles an hour. The Stalling in cruse at low speed is systemic and common in all 2002-2005 explorers. (Don't use Cruse under 50 mph And You won't stall. 2. If you plan on filling up on Ethanol, be sure you run full synthetic Oil. Ethanol fumes can make water divide from standard oil and damage your engine. (Just spend the extra money it is well worth the reduced wear and tear on your engine if you plan on using Ethanol or not. 3. Beware 2002-2004 Ford Explorers with "Lemon Transmissions" The 5 speed transmissions use cheap Chinese Steel and may shear and shatter scattering small bits of shrapnel inside your Trans. By the 2005 year this problem had been largely eliminated. The 2002-2005 for Explorers are used extensively here in Oregon as Police Vehicle, Fire and Rescue Support Trucks and by the B.L.M and Forest Service. This should tell you everything you need to know. But let me spell it out for you. This Truck has what it takes to get the job done, day after day.

Good SUV

by NY Driver from Cortlandt Manor, NY | August 10, 2011

Went from 97 Red Explorer to 05 Red Explorer. Sold 97 with 198,000 miles on it - still going. Bought in March with 65K on it-now has 72K. Hoping it lasts as well as my 97. Nice on and off road. Adirondacks last week and it was very comfortable on highway and handled dirt roads very well. Like it's looks, how it drives and reliability (so far). Wish mileage was a little better, but thats my only complaint.

Nice SUV

by retirement from Pennsylvania | December 2, 2010

Very reliable SUV.Road nice and was roomy, Not super high, able to get into easily. We would have kept the SUV except for the fact it only gave us 14 mpg. Otherwise great vehicle.

Featured Services for this Ford Explorer