We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2008 Ford Explorer

2008 Ford Explorer
Available in 16 styles:  2008 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Worst ever

by bubba from Maryland | August 12, 2016

We purchased this Ford Explorer for my son. It had $46,000 miles on it now 4 years later and $8000.00 in repairs later. We are trading it in. We are on our second radiator and have had the transmission replace and various other repairs do on it. It only has 86,000 miles on it. This vehicle sucks. Buyer beware.

Do not buy 2008 ford explorer

by sadexplorerowner from Illinois | November 17, 2015

I bought my 2008 Ford Explorer brand new off the lot with 3 miles on it and have always done the recommended service on the vehicle. At 55,000 miles the starter and electrical system went out, at 60,000 miles I had to replace the radiator which cost $700, the heater went out at 80,000 miles which cost $200 to fix, and now at 85,000 miles the transmission needs replaced and I was quoted $4,000. If I had bought the vehicle used and was unsure of the upkeep I might be able to understand but since I bought it brand new and know that all of the upkeep was done I'm just really disappointed in Ford. I've had Fords in the past that I've loved but not this one.

Great SUV

by BarryCodyHoward from Pawleys Island, SC | November 2, 2014

I bought my Ford Explorer Limited brand new in 2008 from Beach Ford in Myrtle Beach, SC (Great Service as always). I drove my Explorer to 143,000 miles and traded it last year for a 2013 Ford Fusion (huge mistake). At 100,000, I wrecked my Explorer and had pretty much all of the front end replaced (hit a tree head on). After the wreck, things began to go wrong with the transmission, which is why I traded it. However, had I not had the accident, I would probably still have my Explorer. It was a great car and I miss it dearly!

Disapointed

by Showmeman from Missouri | January 1, 2014

The truck was a 2006 v8 Explorer. Maintained as manufacture suggested. I had it from 24k mile to 73k miles. I love Ford vehicles, but here's the problems I had out of normal wear. Break problem, speed sensor covered under warranty. Radio, no display, covered under warranty. Left rear window stopped, covered under warranty. Rear end seal, $200.00. Front and rear wheel bearing out at same time, $900.00, stay away from high water. Transmission computer out. $2700.00. I liked the truck when it worked but way to costly to drive, it's gone now,

2008 Ford Explorer

by 2008 Ford Explorer from Independence, KY | August 16, 2013

Its an older vehicle but it does what we need it to do at a better price than any other vehicle its size. 7 passenger, with cargo space and all 5 back seats fold down flat. Gas mileage is not this best for this year but I am guessing that's why the price of the truck is soo affordable. Love this truck!

Great vehicle

by SUV FAN from Fishers, In | July 27, 2013

Not a lot of space with 7 passengers but always have the luggage rack. Great vehicle overall. More comfortable for 6

Transmission Problems

by Dick from La Crosse WI | November 26, 2012

Bought vehicle with 30k miles, has 107k now. Used as commuter for work and trips around the state. Began having transmission problems- rough shift, high rpm, skipping 2nd gear. Took it to the local Ford Dealer who said it was the seals on the front hub and transfer case. He told me the fluid was almost empty because it had been leaking so long, which is a testament to the Ford completely encapsulated transmission- no way to check without bringing it in for service. Have also heard that there is a sender unit which can cause transmission problems, including vehicle shutting off- which has happened several times stopped at lights on idle. Overall just too expensive to maintain.

Explorer #7

by Car Girl from Orlando fl | September 2, 2012

That's right, 7 Explorers. Since my 1991 Sport to my 2008 Eddie Bauer there is no better ride or value. In spite of being a full size vehicle, I still get 20 mpg. Plenty of room to carry everything including 4 dogs and equipment to dog shows. Reliability is amazing. In 7 Explorers I have never been stranded due to mechanical failure. They are comfortable and I can't say enough good things about them. Do yourself a favor and just go test drive one. You'll be taking it home.

Explorer 4X4 2008

by Explorer 4X4 from Saudi Arabia | March 26, 2012

Good value for the money and performance in comparison with other options in the market. Nice design. Less isolation of air ans sound than average. It ia suitable for work and family in the same time. Recommended specially for practical persons.

the best car i've ever owned.

by mrbaseball from Lansdale, Pa | December 21, 2011

I orginally leased the car, but liked it so much a purchased it when the lease ended. It is very comfortable to drive and manuvers every aspect well.