2009 Ford Explorer

Available in 18 styles:  2009 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Great Car

by Lou from Helena, AR | May 11, 2014

I recently purchased a 2009 Ford Explorer XLT and have fallen in love. I have always been a small car driver and it took a little getting use to but love the difference. It is very comfortable and have nice features. The door handles are a little quirky and the radio is plain but love the Bluetooth and other features. I first was concerned about looking out the back but it is not a problem you can purchase a back up camera if you live in an area with kids running around.

GREAT for long trips and outdoor activities

by Jackeagle from Colorado--S. Jeffco | April 14, 2014

I live next to the Rocky mountains in CO. I have a 2007 Explorer and put 130,000+ miles on it taking it on long road trips, off road on old mountain mining and railroad roads, pulling a 3,000+ boat over mountain passes above 12,000', tent camping, and driving 4X4 in deep snow and on ice. I love this version of the truck based Explorer. I know 2010 was its last year, so I went to the used market and got a 2009 with low milage and gave my 2007 to my wife for her town activities. I've been driving for almost 50 years and this is the most comfortable trip vehicle I've ever owned. Only drawback is it uses some gas--I get about 21 mpg on the open road and about 17-18 with mixed suburban, city driving.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2009 explorer

by Gregster from Morton Grove,Il | March 19, 2013

I traded in my 2001 F-150 Supercrew for the explorer.I found a nice one about 100 miles away.I drove down to Perdue Illinois to check it out. It was worth the drive.This truck was in excellent condition with only 32k miles.I struck a pretty good deal on my trade so I drove it home that evening.I drove into a snow/ice storm about 10 miles outside of town but the explorer performed well in that storm.A ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 is a hard act to follow when it comes to driving in the snow but the explorer exceded all my expectations. 90 miles of ice/sleet/snow was a good test for this truck and it passed with flying colors.The six cylinder got good gas mileage also. Nice truck !

Remember this is a TRUCK

by Don H from Whippany, NJ | February 25, 2011

I purchased my 2009 Explorer from a dealer. I got a fair price. Truck is in excellent condition. I was looking for a V8, but a majority of the Explorers in 07,08,09 were V6s. The V8 seems to give almost the same fuel economy. I've yet to be in a situation where I wish I had the extra power as the V6 is quite powerful. The truck drives nice on the Highway, but around town with many pot holes due to the season, the truck give a very bouncy ride. It appears that Ford improved the suspension on the 2011s building the vehicle on a automobile frame. The truck handles well and is not as hard to park as I thought it would. It fits better in my garage than my 2005 Bonneville. The Bonneville was longer and may be a little wider. Sitting in the Explorer is very comfortable. I haven't taken a long trip yet, but I don't think it will be a problem. I still wish I had the V8. I'll likely keep this truck for many years.

Drives Great!

by Love this car from Reno, NV | December 30, 2010

The 2009 Ford Explorer is the best car I've ever driven in the snow and ice. It is fantastic. And, we have been getting 21 mpg hwy consistently. My only complaint is that it is made for someone taller than 5'3", since I seem to sit too low in it, no matter how much I raise the seat. It is hard for me to see out the rear windows. My 6' tall husband, however, says it is very comfortable. Overall, I would highly recommend this car.

Mixed Feelings...

by First time reviewer from | September 16, 2010

We bought our 2009 Explorer XLT with 24,000 miles on it. We have the optional third seat, which is nice to have, but not nice to actually use. I would get claustrophobic if I had to sit back there. Our Explorer does have the optional rear seat heat/air conditioning -- this is fantastic. Exterior styling is nice, but the interior styling is just plain strange. The door handles are awkward and the shifter knob looks bizarre. The standard radio looks like an afterthought the way it is stuffed in the center stack. We have the base 4.0L 6 cylinder; it is perfectly suitable for the Explorer. It won't win any races, but it has enough performance to get you into traffic quickly. It provides probably the best compromise between performance and gas mileage. We haven't owned this Explorer yet through a winter, so I can't really evaluate the 4 wheel drive. I do like the fact that the 4 wheel drive has several touch-button settings and that you can just leave it on an automatic setting all the time. If you hit a slippery spot, the power is sent to the correct wheel(s) automatically. We feel very safe in the Explorer and I am optimistic about its long term reliability. A few short thoughts: We average 17-18 city and 21-22 mpg highway. If you need more room and a usable third seat, get a mini-van. This has got to be the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. My wife wanted the SUV, I prefer to drive a car. If you want an SUV I think you'd be very happy with the Explorer. Good performance, good gas mileage, should be reliable and is a nice looking vehicle. I just wish I could have a few minutes alone with whoever designed the stupid door handles...