2011 Ford Explorer

See Photos & Videos

Overall

User Friendly Family Vehicle

by Rush7122 from | September 20, 2013

This is by far the most comfortable and user friendly car I have ever owned. I don't know about reliability, as I've only had the car for a month. However, I did take it on a road trip over the Labor Day weekend and I had no complaints. It is very comfortable even after hours of driving. My kids brag about the comfortable passenger seats also. I love the navigation. It's more user friendly than my tom tom. I only gave it four stars on performance because it is a little sluggish on take off or passing. Overall, I love it.

Skip this car

by SoCalStacy from SoCal | August 24, 2013

I bought this car 2 years ago, a 2011 Explorer Limited with upgrades. I have had nothing but issues with this car, and I am a low mile user. First, I was driving on the freeway and trying to accelerate coming out of a merge and GLUG GLUG GLUG like all of a sudden the fuel stopped entering the car and it felt like it was going to stall. Happened once again and stopped but is scary thing. Acceleration onto freeways is slow and drags like maybe fuel injection system needs to be flushed. Step too hard on the pedal to try to accelerate faster and engine sounds like it is going to explode. Second, with my low milage I was already getting squeaky brakes. I was told this was a customer issue and brakes were replaced under warranty. Third, there are constant issues with the Sync/MyTouch system. It crashes frequently and you are left without your backup camera or navigation, which really stinks when you are leaving your doctors office and you are parallel parked and can't use the camera or when you are leaving a place you are unfamiliar with and need the naviagtion but you have to wait a full 5 min to have the system run it's "Maintenance" (means it crashed). Forth, the media interface is a technical nightmare. I mean, I know it doesn't effect driving but it's something I paid for with my hefty price tag. Sometimes my iPod is plugged in but it's not registering that it is, sometimes the a/v says it's connected and to remove usb connections first but nothing is plugged into the a/v, and then if you use shuffle on an ipod playlist, it only works until you turn off the car, when you restart it will play songs alphabetically by artist instead of shuffle. You have to manually reset it to shuffle again, even though the shuffle light is still on. Fifth, I have been having an issue for about 3 weeks now, where I park the car and turn it off but it chimes and tells me on the display "Shift to Park." The car IS in park but the P is not illuminated, so I must push in and out the little black button on the gearshift handle 10 plus times to get it to illuminate and stop the chime. Now this is something FORD refused to fix because they claim they could not make it fault at the dealer. I even took a picture AND video of it because I researched the issue and found other people had the same problem and the dealer refused to fix it too, claiming it wasn't faulting. This happens whether my husband or I am driving so it is hard to place blame on me, and it happens almost every time I park. Yet, to Ford, the customer has no valid complaint. There is also another update on Sync that has to be performed and the interface unit was given a warranty extension because of the poor workmanship. More and more I wish I hadn't let my husband talk me into this car, I really would have preferred a Honda Pilot since I have had 2 Hondas in the past that were issue free and customer service was amazing. Be warned. Skip this car if you are looking for a great used car because it will only give you trouble.

Great Vehicle!!

by RysXplr from | January 22, 2013

Love the new Explorer Limited-4WD!! Only reason I gave the value/interior 4 out of 5 stars is no rear heated seats, for this class of MSRP vehicle, those should be included when ordering the rear bucket seats. Very comfortable and quiet ride with lots of power from the 3.5L V6. Terrain system is excellent too! Overall I get 20.5mpg in mixed driving. MyTouch is not as distracting once you get to know it, free annual NAV updates from Ford is great value too.

Fifth Explorer Best One Yet

by Mike-Fifth Explorer from Grand Rapids Michigan | December 23, 2012

My Ford Touch works much better than expected. Consumers Reports criticism not warranted, particularly after a week or so living with My Ford Touch. This Explorer SUV is a vast improvement over the 4 prior Explorers I have owned. Much more car-like ride, very quiet and smooth. About 20% better fuel economy too. Had 3rd seat passengers today for first time and they said it was comfortable back there.

Ready for Mother Nature

by Mn Driver from Minnesota | December 8, 2012

We just purchased a used 2011 Explorer Limited a week ago, and I am very pleased with the value and performance. We just received our first snow of the year, and I never once slide around on the road in our 2011 Explorer. We were looking for a vehicle with average MPG and AWD that would give us the security we needed to drive on our Minnesota roads. We are pleased with the new rebuild model of the 2011 Explorer. The navigation system, sony sound system, moon roof, rear and middle automatic folding seats are wonderful features. We are enjoying using the touch screen controls, and the keyless automatic engine start. The technology advancements from our 2005 vehicle are so different, but we are enjoying learning how to use all of the new features with this vehicle. After all of our searching, I am sure that we made the right choice with the Explorer. Feel confident driving on whatever Mother Nature brings our way now.

Sold!

by Ers from | November 28, 2012

This was the vehicle I just replaced. I would strongly suggest doing additional research on this one before purchase. I loved how this vehicle looked on paper. Plenty of room for people and items, it can tow, and it gets decent mileage. Great! Right? Well, after the FIFTH TIME in the shop, I ditched it. The bumper to bumper warranty was getting closer in mileage to ending, and if this is what the future held, I would have been a fool to keep it. In case you're curious, here's the list: 1: both far rear side windows leaking 2: a horrible shudder from the engine at acceleration (turbo related, glad I didn't foot that bill) 3: mytouch system completely dead, which also takes out climate control, nav and other features, again, glad I didn't foot that bill. 4: turn signal indicators on mirrors filling up with water. 5: head lights filled with condensation. Perhaps I'm unlucky, perhaps I got the car built on a Friday, but like I said before, my warranty was about to end. Any sane person would have sold it, so I did. Not my first Ford, probably not my last, but this was a horrible experience. I hope its next owner is lucky and doesn't have to deal with any problems like I did. One thing is for certain, I'll be doing my best to avoid turbochargers and touchscreens in the future, if possible. Their reliability just doesn't seem to be up to snuff yet.

2011 Ford Explorer Limited

by jcw from Southern California | August 12, 2012

Great great car. LOTS of features. VERY comfortable. BIG, LUXURY car at Thousands Le$$ than Imports and "Luxury" SUVs. (I also have a 2002 Explorer Limited.)

Best suv i have ever owned

by explorer mom from Jackson , MS | August 5, 2012

The 2011 ford explorer limited i bought, was by far the best suv i've driven. i drove the new JEEP Cherokee not even close, the toyota 4 runner cheap interior and the ride was very wobbley. Dodge durango no quality. the gmc acadia alot of issues for reliability! Go test drive the new explorer its awesome!!

What a Vehicle

by dinny from Ohio | May 14, 2012

Outstanding performance, smooth and quiet ride, easy to use controls, awesome styling, all at a great value. Go drive one!

Love it!!

by Kentucky Mom from Kentucky | April 23, 2012

I was looking for a larger car/suv since my kids have gotten older and bigger. I loved the look of the new Explorer and have previously owned several Fords. I found a 2011 Ford demo model and was able to get what I thought was a great deal. I've only had it for 6 weeks but I do love it! The body style is eye catching and the interior is roomy and very comfortable. We took it to Florida 2 weeks after we bought it and got 24 mpg, which I thought was pretty good considering the size of the vehicle. The car is air tight and very comfortable to drive - you don't hear anything outside!! It's great for our family and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a larger SUV.