We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2013 Ford Explorer

2013 Ford Explorer
Available in 7 styles:  2013 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Does it's job well!

by Grown-up Zorro, with wife & 3 kids from Allentown, PA | May 15, 2016

I've owned this SUV for exactly 3 years. I still love it. I would buy it again tomorrow if I had to. It's a comfortable ride and handles well. Cons: Tight space for a driver over 6ft tall. I'm 6'3" and my R knee rubs against the center console. The driver's visibility is also limited on the car's flanks and sides by car design, but not a game changer. Also, the SUV doesn't have a lot of schwoop off the line. It tends to be sluggish and is sometimes frustrating when trying to pick up speed quickly and the transmission takes an extra second to downshift. I do wish the gas tank was larger, as I feel I'm making trips to the gas station often. I'm not spending more money, just more time filling up. Pros: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. It's a comfortable ride on the road with the chassis of the Taurus. However, unlike other vehicles that call themselves SUVs but are really road-cars with AWD, the Explorer still gets you to where you want to go in the elements. I've had my Explorer camping, in 33" of snow, in mud and loose debris. The intelligent 4WD responds to any traction issues. The Explorer "walks" on the snow and does a phenomenal job getting me to work (I don't have the luxury of calling off even if it's the apocalypse). I have yet to try it in sand at the beach. The interior is fairly spacious, and the cargo capacity behind the 2nd row is great. I have 3 kids (5, 3, and 1 y/o) who can all fit in the 2nd row with carseats if we go on a long trip, so we can load up toys, suitcases, pack-n-plays, strollers. Normally the kids sit in the 3rd row and have no problem getting into their carseats back there. There's carseat latches all over the place! The ride is fairly quiet and solid, which is added security for my wife's comfort. The exterior design is nice and easy to get into the vehicle. The ruby red outside gets it a lot of complements. The navigation system is fairly spot on and despite what the "expert reviews" say, I'm a fan of MyFordTouch. It's rarely malfunctional, and occasionally boggy, but it's very occasional, and resolves itself quickly. The sound quality on the base XLT model is so-so because there's only 6 speakers. Not a big deal. There's a fair amount of safety mechanisms we don't even know are present on the XLT 4WD model (i.e. always-active intelligent 4WD, curve management, etc). I've towed 3,000 lbs with this SUV and despite it struggling to maintain fast speeds uphill, it performed well overall with the weight. Overall, as a 31 y/o guy with a wife (who loves driving this) and 3 small kids, I did everything I could to avoid getting the inevitable van. The Explorer meets my needs, is safe, solid, and I would do it all over again.

Ford Explorer a good experience

by old john from Canada | March 28, 2016

Bought my Ford Explorer EcoBoost 2L FWD at 2013 and owned this car for almost 4 happy years. Twice had same issue of back brakes sticking which meant going to Ford mechanic to fix/replace parts there. They fixed it first time after 1.5 years and then it happened again after about another 1.5 years. Other then that it was very reliable. The 2L EcoBoost engine was a huge surprise for how well it worked, very smooth and very reliable and as important relatively good on gas at about 7.5 KM per Liter in city and 10KM per liter on highway. Its also surprisingly quick for such a heavy big vehicle and such a small engine, modern technology really is amazing. Only thing I missed on it was the lack of AWD but that's my fault and not Ford. Just traded in my explorer for a 2014 Acadia AWD and first thing I felt was how much faster and quicker my Explorer feels compared to the Acadia, as I said the EcoBoost engine really feels like a modern marvel and the one thing I liked more then anything else in my Explorer.

2013 Ford Explorer

by First time Explorer from Lincoln, NE | March 21, 2016

Just bought the vehicle recently. Really not alot for me to say. Drivers compartment is tight and I am an average sized person. The seat has alot of adjusting, so you can make it comfortable for about anyone. Drives nicely. Have not had a chance to drive it on the snow yet, so unsure how the 4WD works. The touch screen is awesome. Makes it easy to control the functions of the vehicle. Easy to learn. Would have to agree on a review I read. The fuel tank is small, have to refill often. So far I like the vehicle.

Poor Quality

by Sad Explorer Owner from North Reading, MA | April 20, 2015

I have been disappointed with the quality of this vehicle. I have owned Ford vehicles for decades and this one has had problems from the day it was new. The styling of the truck is great, but the problems take all the enjoyment out of owning it.

Love it but gas mileage and range suck

by Domer -- Go Irish!!! from Fishers, IN | February 19, 2015

Reluctantly traded my 2014 Range Rover Sport which was BEST car I've ever owned. Better than any of the BMWs or GMC Denalis or Suburbans I've owned. Needed to save money but still have a sporty look and feel. Really like the Explorer BUT the gas tank is WAY undersized and am only getting about 15 MPG on the Sport. Hate having to fill up every 225 miles. Love the power. This is actually faster than the RR Sport. Also like the My Sync/control center. It's intuitive and easy to use. Also like the roomier 3rd row seat. Overall, for half the money of my RR Sport, it's a great SUV.

Great all around suburban vehicle

by Midwest super mommy from Milwaukee, WI | December 31, 2014

Does everything I need it to, and looks great. The exterior and interior styling, really turns heads. Only feature missing was overhead DVD player on model I purchased. Quiet as a whisper, and great in the snow.

No driver leg room !

by Hamster from Walt Sweeney 's West Hills Ford, Cinciinati, Oh | August 25, 2014

I bought this Explorer in Feb. of 2014. It looks very nice on the outside... However after driving the SUV for a week I noticed how badly my right leg was cramping...The way the center console is made, it really cuts out a lot of legroom for the driver. I'm 6 feet tall and not very happy with this SUV.. I will be trading it in on something more confortable in the near future. If you're a small person you may really like this car, but if you have long legs you may want to think about this model.

We might want to buy this one!

by Used as a rental car from Sultan, WA | July 23, 2014

We were on our 2 Harley's across country (for 1 month) when an idiot driver stopped on the freeway I(In NYC) and made a hard right ... right into us as she realized she missed her exit. Our vacation was over at that point. We had to ship our bikes home and rent a car to get us home. We rented a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited and completely fell in love with it. It ran beautifully. The interior was very roomy. I got to drive the entire 3,000 trip home while my husband was laid up in the back seat with his broken leg. He was very comfortable sitting there the entire trip. I loved the backup camera. I loved the side mirrors (with the little mirror in it showing traffic to the side of the car). We are now shopping for this car since we have to return this rented one.

My second explorer

by msaspen1 from Jefferson Hills, Pa. | June 25, 2014

I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer and I am very pleased with it. For 15 years I drove a 1998 explorer and I was always so happy with it. I am a Ford Lady for sure, and I hope this newer explorer gives me years of enjoyment. Not the best in gas mileage, and I will never use the third seat, but for the money, I received a quality vehicle that makes me feel safe.

The car I would lke to own

by Ron from Sun City West, Arizona | June 20, 2014

I have not bought a Ford Explorer, I would like to trade for one but no one wants to take my truck in for trade. They can't handle the 10,000 upside down equity There must be a way to write these contracts to get people into a new car with being upside down in their trade. If the dealership has a good finance department they would write a loan for negative equity and make a contract for the rest of the purchase as no negative equity in the trade. Creative financing and move some vehicles.