1997 Ford F-150

15–17 city / 18–22.1 hwy

Overall

1997 Ford F-150

by Chad from Des Plaines, IL | October 13, 2014

My dad purchased my truck brand new in late 1996 (1997 Ford F-150 XLT single cab 2x4, 4.6L). He passed it down to me in 2004 and I have driven it the past 10 years. It has been nothing but great for me, and as reliable as ever. I have 203,000 miles right now and am now driving around 12k miles/yr and it does great. Other than having to change the radiator and heater core about 2 years ago, an O2 sensor and a few window regulators... nothing has broken or showed signs of it either. It still runs very smooth and starts up perfect every day. I have contemplated upgrading to a new one several times but can't seem to part with it. It's kind of like family. I owned two Chevrolet's before this one (1999, 2002) and had a lot of issues with both of those with little things going wrong. My Ford is a tank!

Very reliable and tight constructed

by TakeNoBull from Memphis | October 11, 2014

I have had this truck that I bought new for 18 years. At 12,000 miles Ford replaced the engine for a noise inside that could not be found. After that other then a few replacement ignition coils and front suspension work its been smooth sailing. I use the truck for carrying a load in my job. Paint job still looks new due to Ford paint and my waxing yearly. Runs tight with no inside noise. I do remember in the last seven years or so the cable holding the spare tire breaking under the truck. All this is not bad from 12,000 miles on. Been a great truck.

A true workhorse

by Chris from Denmark from Palo Alto | June 7, 2014

Purchased private, 98XLT 4x4, 4,6 Triton V8. NO worries at all, treat the Ford as it deserves..and should..with quality-oil, filters and you-name-it, never rev the engine before it's warm..and you'll never have problems with this super-reliable truck. Next time I'll probably go for a diesel-truck,..and a Ford again ofcourse !

One of the best truck I've ever owned

by Sumo from kansas city mo. | May 30, 2013

I'll tell you,Matt & Red @ All American Dealership was the best experience I've ever had.. I bought a 1997 F-150 from them.What a jewel!!!,I would not be concerned about driving on long hauls.Thanks guys.

!st year 2nd generation F150

by Gotcha from Hawaii | July 24, 2012

Keep it tuned; you can't go wrong. Ford's second generation vehicles may be expensive but worth the price.

First ford truck i've owned

by F150 first time owner from Louisville, KY | February 28, 2012

Asthetically, i prefer the f150 in the bodystyle i purchased, and you cannot beat the fuel economy of the v6 w/ 5 speed transmission. Parts are inexpensive, and most things that have needed to be replaced are simply typical with age, such as tires, brake pads, light bulbs, and other various wear items. The truck is incredibly inexpensive to maintain in comparison to others. Dead reliable on the coldest mornings and the longest trips. The interior is somewhat spartan, but doesn't have the cheap thin plastic feel of a lot of cars and trucks of it's era. the 4.2L provides enough power to tow small things if you need it, yet the fuel efficiency to rival even new trucks. On average i'm getting about 23-25mpg city and run about 28mpg highway simply by maintaining proper tire pressure, weight of oil, air filters are replaced on time, and the fuel system maintained every 36,000 miles with an intake cleaner (seafoam) Have easily pulled a 20 foot pontoon boat at the lake, and it rides reasonably for a truck. It does however have some cosmetics that could have simply been thought out better, such as incomplete window trim design, and it lacks any amenity above the XLT package. The ride quality is comfortable for long hauls, but can get a bit bouncy on the interstates due to the light weight of the bed. Also the headlamp housings tend to fog and turn somewhat yellow rather quickly, making it difficult to maintain clear vision at night unless you upgrade to a brighter style headlight bulb. if you happen to smoke, and use the window to flip ashes, in the rain your control panel will get wet, so you have to be aware of that so as not to burn out switches for window controls and mirror adjustment. Has plenty of room in the cab for a taller person, and some storage behind the seats with an organizer to keep things from rolling under them. Center console is roomy with enough space to easily fit three 12oz cans of soda in the front, and several CDS in the back. Cupholders hold larger cups well, but are somewhat scary with smaller ones, as drinks tend to rock around a bit, wich if unwatched can splash your drink on the radio controls, larger cups can block access to the controls as well. Overall, it's a reliable, comfortable, and practical truck for the sensible driver.

really sharp truck !

by roush crazy from new Hampshire | October 4, 2011

outstanding job converting to a roush F-150 stage 2 Love the interior customs even the overhead DVD player

best vehicle i have ever owned,low miles,

by ford guy from searcy,ar | August 18, 2011

brand new parts are many...a/c compressor,water pump,radiator,starter,manifold,brakes, lots more... I started upgrading and restoring two years ago after my son drove for a year. i have owned since 2004. it has been pampered and well maintained. I would not hesitate to drive cross country in it.

Monster

by Chase from Ocala, FL | March 30, 2011

I have had this truck for 14 years now, no big problems other than a month of not being able to figure out why it ran bad because the shop told me the spark plugs were good when 6 of the 8 were almost completely shot. With the 4x4 and a good set off 33" mud terrain tires, (which fit with no lift), this truck is unstoppable. Has always come through for me in tough situations.

Workhorse, offroad monster

by The Hulk from Claremore, OK | January 20, 2011

I got this truck from my grandpa when I was 17. At first I didn't think much of it since everyone in my family drives a chevy or gmc. But I can tell you that first time driving it I was inpressed, everything about this truck impressed me and from then on I fell in love with ford trucks. I use this truck for farm work mostly from hauling 20'ft horse trailers and everything in between the truck never had a problem hauling any kind of heavy load on-road or off-road it never let me down and I know that I can always depend on my truck to do any kind of task I throw at it.

Featured Services for this Ford F-150