1997 Ford F-150

Est. MPG

15–17 city / 18–22.1 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

One of the best truck I've ever owned

by Sumo from kansas city mo. | May 30, 2013

I'll tell you,Matt & Red @ All American Dealership was the best experience I've ever had.. I bought a 1997 F-150 from them.What a jewel!!!,I would not be concerned about driving on long hauls.Thanks guys.

!st year 2nd generation F150

by Gotcha from Hawaii | July 24, 2012

Keep it tuned; you can't go wrong. Ford's second generation vehicles may be expensive but worth the price.

First ford truck i've owned

by F150 first time owner from Louisville, KY | February 28, 2012

Asthetically, i prefer the f150 in the bodystyle i purchased, and you cannot beat the fuel economy of the v6 w/ 5 speed transmission. Parts are inexpensive, and most things that have needed to be replaced are simply typical with age, such as tires, brake pads, light bulbs, and other various wear items. The truck is incredibly inexpensive to maintain in comparison to others. Dead reliable on the coldest mornings and the longest trips. The interior is somewhat spartan, but doesn't have the cheap thin plastic feel of a lot of cars and trucks of it's era. the 4.2L provides enough power to tow small things if you need it, yet the fuel efficiency to rival even new trucks. On average i'm getting about 23-25mpg city and run about 28mpg highway simply by maintaining proper tire pressure, weight of oil, air filters are replaced on time, and the fuel system maintained every 36,000 miles with an intake cleaner (seafoam) Have easily pulled a 20 foot pontoon boat at the lake, and it rides reasonably for a truck. It does however have some cosmetics that could have simply been thought out better, such as incomplete window trim design, and it lacks any amenity above the XLT package. The ride quality is comfortable for long hauls, but can get a bit bouncy on the interstates due to the light weight of the bed. Also the headlamp housings tend to fog and turn somewhat yellow rather quickly, making it difficult to maintain clear vision at night unless you upgrade to a brighter style headlight bulb. if you happen to smoke, and use the window to flip ashes, in the rain your control panel will get wet, so you have to be aware of that so as not to burn out switches for window controls and mirror adjustment. Has plenty of room in the cab for a taller person, and some storage behind the seats with an organizer to keep things from rolling under them. Center console is roomy with enough space to easily fit three 12oz cans of soda in the front, and several CDS in the back. Cupholders hold larger cups well, but are somewhat scary with smaller ones, as drinks tend to rock around a bit, wich if unwatched can splash your drink on the radio controls, larger cups can block access to the controls as well. Overall, it's a reliable, comfortable, and practical truck for the sensible driver.

really sharp truck !

by roush crazy from new Hampshire | October 4, 2011

outstanding job converting to a roush F-150 stage 2 Love the interior customs even the overhead DVD player

best vehicle i have ever owned,low miles,

by ford guy from searcy,ar | August 18, 2011

brand new parts are many...a/c compressor,water pump,radiator,starter,manifold,brakes, lots more... I started upgrading and restoring two years ago after my son drove for a year. i have owned since 2004. it has been pampered and well maintained. I would not hesitate to drive cross country in it.

Monster

by Chase from Ocala, FL | March 30, 2011

I have had this truck for 14 years now, no big problems other than a month of not being able to figure out why it ran bad because the shop told me the spark plugs were good when 6 of the 8 were almost completely shot. With the 4x4 and a good set off 33" mud terrain tires, (which fit with no lift), this truck is unstoppable. Has always come through for me in tough situations.

Workhorse, offroad monster

by The Hulk from Claremore, OK | January 20, 2011

I got this truck from my grandpa when I was 17. At first I didn't think much of it since everyone in my family drives a chevy or gmc. But I can tell you that first time driving it I was inpressed, everything about this truck impressed me and from then on I fell in love with ford trucks. I use this truck for farm work mostly from hauling 20'ft horse trailers and everything in between the truck never had a problem hauling any kind of heavy load on-road or off-road it never let me down and I know that I can always depend on my truck to do any kind of task I throw at it.

Unreliable

by Tried most from | December 19, 2010

The truck was O.K. But after a couple of months, the engine went to heck. It would break down every month, especially when I needed ot the most. However, it would sometimes get out of its mess. It got stuck in any amount of snow. Don't Pay too much for it. Semmed like every one who owned these had these problems. Save yourself the hassle, buy a Silverado.

Great truck

by BassMan from Fresno, Ca. | May 12, 2010

I bought this truck for short trips to my vanpool meeting place and to pull my bass boat and could not be happier. Gets good gas milage and has the power needed to pull my boat through the hills near my area lakes. Not very stylish and this model year is one of many that leaks water pass the rear window seal into the cab. Other than that I havnt had any problems.

Uses car for Towing

Worries

by THECUDDMAN from Alexandria, LA. | October 20, 2009

The body, paint and interior have held up very well and does not reflect the truck's age. The bench seat was always a bit uncomfortable and I eventually replaced it with aftermarket bucket seats. After eight years of ownership - I bought it new - the engine (6 cyl) blew at 85K miles. A replacement from the dealer was almost $5,000 (at my expense since the warranty was expired). I have yet to understand why this happened at such low mileage. The truck was only serviced by the dealership and never driven by anyone other than me. I never even hitched anything to tow. I've kept it because it is still a very nice truck to drive and it still looks great. Best of luck!

Featured Services for this Ford F-150