1988 Ford Festiva

Information Coming Soon

Overall

Hard to Kill...

by Rolamnd3337 from Scranton, PA | September 7, 2011

I bought my 1988 Festiva in 1988, as a college graduation present to myself. It was the first new car I had ever owned. When I bought it, it had 52 miles on the odometer. I drove that little car from Iowa to Colorado and back, dozens of times. It went through 2 graduate school programs, and two accidents (one was a nasty T-bone that was my fault, which was repaired via insurance). Rust became a problem after 10 years, and I replaced mufflers, tires, brake pads, an alternator, 2 windshields, and a fuel pump. I drove that little car for 13 years, and 248,000 miles. And it did not die. It was killed by a deer that jumped out in front of me when I was going 50 mph. I could have fixed it. Hood and radiator damage was the extent of the injuries, but by that time, I thought the rust was just too far along to save it. If I had things to do over again, I would have made the repairs. I might still be driving it today. I carried firewood in it, large appliances (dishwasher) and a full sized office desk. It was like Dr. Who's phone booth. Near the end, I remember calculating the gas mileage: 44 mpg. I've never had another car that did as well with gas. And if I correctly recall, the tank was like 8 gallons. During its last years, it went through 3-4 really hard North Eastern Pennsylvania winters. The front wheel drive always got me through, probably better than a 4 x 4 would have. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. And I'd keep it for another 13+ years.

Featured Services for this Ford Festiva