2013 Ford Fiesta

29 city / 39 hwy

Overall

Very bad experience

by Aaron from Eugene, OR | August 25, 2014

I've owned several Fords in the past and was always happy with them. However, my experience with the Fiesta has tarnished the Ford brand in my eyes. How they allowed this car to go into production is a mystery. To mirror the other complaints here: the automatic transmission on this car is a disaster. When it's working "correctly" it clanks and clacks, herks and jerks, and generally just stinks. When it's not working correctly, the car shutters and jerks and refuses to engage a gear. I found myself in a couple dangerous situations when I pulled onto the freeway and couldn't get up to speed in traffic. At about 15k miles the dealer did major work to replace part of the transmission. It then ran acceptable until about 23k and the problems started again. Thankfully, I have now traded in this piece of junk and no longer have to deal with it.

Great Car for the Price

by Octopus from Seattle, wa | August 15, 2014

I picked up a fiesta SES earlier this year on sale and I adore this car, it's been great for the past 10k miles and expect more to come. Yes the car can handle a bit odd especially in lower gears, but it's a dual clutch transmission, it's will not behave like a normal car. You just need to get used to it and learn it's quirks like any car. My recent cars have been a Nissan Altima, Toyota Yaris and a Chevy Spark and this car tops all of them in being stylish, comfy and fun to drive. I often load my car to the brim including kayaks on top and head out to the coast and even loaded down, I get 40mph freeway. I am sure the are issues with some of the transmissions, but I don't think it's as big of a problem as people are being led to believe. People only tend to leave negative reviews and happy folks don't bother, but I love my car!

How many things can go wrong?

by Bill from ALBUQUERQUE, NM | August 1, 2014

2013 Fiesta. Worst problem is the transmission noise that all the dealers claim is "normal. NOT NORMAL when people turn their heads to look at your car in the parking lot, or when you can hear it over your teens music. Every person in the dealerships say the rough transmission noise is normal.It grinds, slips and is generally a scarry car to drive. It bogs down. Took it in and they said it had a bad engine (10,000 miles). Next, new exaust manufold (12,000 miles). It shimmys.and hesitates to the point you are concerned about your safely in that you might get hit by another car. The light is on again (13.000 miles) signifying a powertrain problem, but after 15 minutes it went off so I won't be seen for a week or so. The pros: comfortable seats, runs well on highway, good gas milage, before troubles started, for the size ok storage room. Please don't buy at least until they have fixed duel transmission. These transmission issues are well documented and have led to lemon lawsuits.

Lemon car

by Sadly ripped off from Clovis, CA | July 14, 2014

I too had a bad clutched problem, almost 3major accidents. I finnally got a new clutch after threating to report to BAR. 2days later the pass. Dor latch misteriously broke only closing the door a total of 3times in 18mos! That cost is $187 per latch. Who has that kind of money? This car goes fast and saves on gas thats it! The seat is ergonometically wrong! The gas petal is to far over to the center so your foot is bent wrong. Bad car altogether! Thanks Ford for standing behind your flopped! Wrong

Great car

by Juan Carlos from | June 26, 2014

My Ford Fiesta is a great car. A little car good on mileage, and it has a lot of technology that other cars dont have. Ford definitely has the best and coolest technology in there cars. If you want a cheap car with cool features and drives smoothly, without having to pay at the pump a lot, but the Fiesta. I LOVE IT!

It depends

by Martinex from Frederick, MD | June 24, 2014

I've owned a lot of small cars and this one ranks somewhere in the middle. I was determined to buy a fuel efficient car from an American manufacturer. The Focus was a little out of my price range so I reluctantly started looking at the Fiesta and the Chevy Sonic. The Sonic is made in Lansing while the Fiesta is manufactured in Mexico so I was leaning towards the Sonic. The Fiesta gets better gas mileage and was a little lighter on my wallet so I went with Ford. Funds were limited so I went with the no-thrills S Hatchback (thankfully not available in 2014). I also heard many complaints about Ford's dual clutch automatic so I went with the 5 speed manual. I'm a rather large man so I was concerned about the interior room however by adjusting the seats and the steering wheel I was able to find a comfortable driving position without much of a problem. The interior is, shall we say, spartan. No cruise control, not even automatic windows. Thankfully it did come with air conditioning. I'm not a fan of the 1.6 liter Duratec but Ford insists on offering it as their base engine. As a result the Fiesta is probably the slowest car I've ever driven. Given reliability claims I've been reluctant to really push the engine too hard. There's no low end torque what so ever and the engine tops out very quickly in the lower gears. You will have a hard time beating Priuses off the line. Once the car is up to cruising range (12-15 seconds later) it's not bad. The cabin is quiet and the engine purrs along pretty smoothly. Keep the revs low and the car rewards you. On long trips I easily top 40 mpgs. Race the engine though and those numbers quickly plummet. As I mentioned before, the base interior is spartan with hard plastic door sills (dear automakers: save you money on the soft touch dashboards. Unless you're resting your head on them while driving what's the point? Instead concentrate on the places we actually rest on while driving....like door sills.) and surprisingly few storage areas. I compensated by purchasing a Cab Commander: a saddle bag of sorts which drapes over the passenger seat. I use it to hold my phone and various paperwork. I should mention the cloth seats which, according to Ford, are made from recycled material. They're very comfortable and easy to clean. The Radio sounds great at reasonable volumes. The speakers tend to modulate when the volume is too high. The S trim comes with no USB interface (Really ford? I've purchase 50 dollar radios that have USB). Replacing the unit (a trick I've done with every car I've owned to avoid the ridiculous dealer markup) is becoming increasing difficult with these stylized dash boards. The hatchback was a must. Fold down the back seats, remove the privacy screen and you can get a surprising amount of stuff in it. I even transported my sister's wheel chair. Overall this is a fuel efficient commuter that serves my purpose very well. The rear seat is useless so if your planing on hauling a family of five around, look elsewhere. I do wish Ford would dump the Duratec and start offering a small EcoBoost as the standard engine.

Rough ride, sputters all the time!!

by EMS from Royal Oak, MI | June 4, 2014

I leased a 2013 Ford Fiesta. I have to say it is a rough ride! It sputters all the time when I accelerate. It's actually really annoying!!! I took it in to service and they said it doesn't quality as that bad, so there was nothing they could do. The funny thing is they acted like they've never heard of the problem. Heed my warning....putting a manual transmission in an automatic is a bad idea!! This car with drive you crazy! The plus is it's good on gas and affordable.

Super car for the money

by Wine from Nevada | May 22, 2014

I am going to buy another one for my other daughter as I have complete confidence in the car. It has been the best

never again do i get a ford

by lcasta63 from el paso | May 14, 2014

OMG!!! Never again do I get a Ford car!! Its a new car n its already giving me problems!!! After only having it for 5 Months!!!Really Ford?? not even do I get to borrow a rental car!! n to top it of bad customer service!!

2013 Ford Fiesta "Hybrid" (Part Car...Part Frog)

by OShirleyUjest from SAT | May 10, 2014

Purchased this car in February 2013 with 19 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, it was an emergency situation, it was dark outside and had to purchase a car stat. This rant is primarily regarding issues with the automatic transmission. However, would like to mention that I would give anything for 5 minutes in a locked room with two people: the person who designed the car and the person who authorized the production. There is no lock on the trunk nor any feature to open it remotely. And the electric door lock is in the middle of the dashboard (not on the door itself). This is an extreme challenge to anyone who is handicapped and has mobility problems. A cart of groceries has to be propped against the car to go unlock the trunk via the front door. Enjoy the fun of chasing a runaway cart on an uneven parking lot when the wind is blowing (especially when merely ambulating is an issue). In reference to the transmission: to it's credit, it actually did not start exhibiting problems until it was driven off the sales lot. In over a year, it has become increasingly worse to the point of being a safety issue. Whether accelerating from a full stop or having to rapidly change speeds to accommodate various traffic situations, it can be described as a frog hopping...stopping then hopping again. Oddly enough, other drivers don't seem to appreciate a car in motion that appears to stall out once or twice before picking up speed and then achieving a consistent forward motion. The talking heads representing the Ford dealership emphatically maintain there is nothing wrong with the transmission and this is the "way it works". Well, in 45 years of driving everything from Mercedes to Mazdas, trucks to vans to SUVs...I have never encountered this type of ongoing problem in a vehicle that allegedly has "no problems" with the transmission. There has to be some way to bring this safety issue to the attention of any person or entity who can address this and achieve some recourse. "O Shirley Ujest" ...and I'm not kidding