2013 Ford Flex

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Unique!

by Sunbird from Louisville, KY | July 10, 2014

When Ford came out with this vehicle, we thought it was the ugliest exterior design ever - a big rectangle box or a big toaster as another reviewer called it. However, when we started looking for a new vehicle with as much room as our 2009 Taurus SEL, we could find no other vehicle to look at than the Flex. Mind you, we did not look at any other brand than Ford since we are a Ford family. We looked at the brochures, used ones and new ones before making up our mind that the Flex was the vehicle we wanted. During this time, I noticed that there aren't a lot of these vehicles on the road and there aren't very many available at any one dealership. Not only that, I decided upon a very distinct color which became very difficult to find, the ginger ale (green/hints of gold). We found only one! Fortunately, it happened to be in our area. It also had the black roof and black painted rims. The look is AWESOME! The roominess, ride, drive ability,cargo space, and options just make this car a better choice. Ours was bought "new" with 14,000 miles on it (dealer driver, never titled). It has AWD, heated/cooled front seats, 60/40 second row seats, power third row seats/liftgate, active park assist, appearance pkg., remote start, multi-panel vista roof, tow pkg., and leather trimmed seats with perf. gray inserts. I especially like that it is NOT a minivan since we are older. We will be transporting our grandbabies as they come along, but mostly we will be using the vehicle for pleasure, travel, and errands. My husband loved using the backup camera when unloading and loading our jet ski. Our son and daughter-in-law just bought a Flex SEL, obviously without some of our features, and they love it! So, two families who love the uniqueness of our vehicles, two Flexs, and four extremely happy drivers/owners!

love our Flex didn't know they even existed

by 2013 Ford Flex from Edwardsville IL | March 27, 2014

Have only had it a month. Love it. Very comfortable. Love the electronics. But gas mileage is not near what is advertised.

Two Months and No Complaints

by Happy Man from Annapolis, MD | March 19, 2014

I bought my new 2013 Flex in February 2014 and so far I'm exceedingly pleased with its performance, the ride and handling. As a senior citizen I especially like how easy it is to enter and exit the vehicle with its lower floor and higher roof. One very thoughtful innovation is the wrapped under outer door skin. No matter how much road dirt attaches to my car, the rocker panels are always clean when you open the doors. No more dirty pant legs! Power from my V-6 eco-boost engine seems phenomenal and it travels very easily at high speeds. I've transported seven passengers on several occasions quite comfortably and without complaints. The perforated leather seats are quite comfortable. The fact that they are also heated and air conditioned is a definite plus. My wife especially likes the big screen that allows you to navigate through all the information somewhat easily (once you study the owner's manual).

Great all round vehicle

by Multi car owner from Florida, Maine | February 24, 2014

Our 2009 Flex just crossed the 90000 mile reading. It has gone Maine to Florida 11 times and has been my wife's car for the past 4 years and we both have enjoyed it for its reliability, comfort and handling. We bought it at 26,000 miles and, other than tires, have replaced the battery. Period. The only other issue was the drivers side door handle cover has started to come off, probably a $200 repair. We average 20mpg per tankful and 25-26mpg on trips.I have pulled our 4200 lb boat with no problem. We have had 7 passengers many times with no complaint. After a cleaning, the car still looks like new. Our previous car was a Honda Odyssey. The Flex handles better, quieter, and far more reliable.

Awesome Famiy Hauler

by STR8 from Tacoma, WA | January 28, 2014

Wow! This car is awesome! I didn't give it an overall rating of five stars due to the fact that we've only had it for a few weeks now and I'm still getting used to it's unique exterior design. Performance is great with the EcoBoost Twin turbo engine and handling is quite agile and smooth considering it's size. All wheel drive is a plus as well. My wife loves the park assist feature and the Ford MY Touch system is awesome so far. The voice command is flawless if given the proper command. Read the owner's manual on this feature and you'll be able to operate your vehicle without touching anything except the steering wheel and the door pulls to enter or exit the vehicle. This vehicle is very driver/passenger friendly. Easy to enter/exit and load your cargo. Ford got it right! We really love the ambient lighting feature and you can change the color to match your mood with just a few touches on that big screen that can be easily reached. Ford and Sony got together and made the fonts larger than the previous yr/model so if you do need to read the screen while driving you can do so with ease. I do think this vehicle was a bit pricey but with all the end of the year rebates and zero percent financing we felt good with what we paid. You couldn't get a European vehicle with this option package under 60k! The Flex feels solid and the materials used on it's interior gives it a feel of real quality. The seats are very comfortable and the second row passengers have the heated seat option as well along with reclining and legroom adjustments. The fridge/freezer is a true friend and we love the power folding third row seat option. Fuel economy is adequate once break-in period is reached. We just don't worry about fuel consumption just as long as we are not refueling twice a week; we were interested in the space and practicality of this vehicle. Our choices prior to this purchase were the Lexus RX, Cadillac SRX, Cadillac CTS wagon and the Flex. We chose the Flex because it had everything we needed. The CTS wagon was just too car-like in every way but the Flex was both car and utility with the extra space. Yay! So, go for a test drive and think "inside" the box, this time, if nothing else it'll make you say, HMM, interesting!

We Love Flexy

by Ol Flexy from Colorado | January 15, 2014

I wanted a mini-van and my wife did not. I also wanted a Japanese brand and was reluctant to look at the American cars. I did look at the Acadia but reviews were not great. After reading up on the Flex and the decent gas mileage and reliability I bought a 2012 SEL. Bought with 18K miles. Driven 10K miles in about 11 months and NO issues, just oil changes. Highest mpg 26 going to Texas 900 miles. Average MPG around town 17.5. Great Power for passing, even with 4 people. Nice to drive long distances - sits you so upright, like a nice dining room chair, yet comfortable - especially if you are older. Great Visability, good turn radius, AWD good in snowy conditions, and plenty of space. Bluetooth works well and syncs easily. I regret no getting leather seats and a fancier color than silver. I am going to try and dip it this summer for a better color. It's not the most fun car to drive, but it really gets the job done all the way around- space, handling, reliability, snow driving, power, and decent mpgs. We dig our flex, the kids love it too.

Our 2nd Flex. Very impressed w/ 2013 improvements!

by HawkeyeFan from Moravia, IA | December 1, 2013

My wife was very attached to her 2010 Flex Limited and did not want to part with it. But I wanted to upgrade to an AWD Flex before we faced another Iowa winter. After owning a Flex, another Flex with AWD was an easy decision. We are very impressed with our 2013 Flex Limited. The Ecoboost AWD power train is VERY smooth and responsive. The car handles and drives effortlessly. What a nice step up in refinement and performance from our FWD 2010 with the standard 3.5L V6. We liked that car. We love this one. And, although we do not have the factory towing package, I'm planning to add the factory hitch and tow my boat occasionally next summer with this car. I'm also impressed with the changes Ford made to the Sync voice interface and the Nav display since 2010. The software and touch interfaces on the center stack are much better. The Nav map information and voice instructions are also an improvement. The Sony sound system is excellent. I'm getting accustomed to the dash displays and the steering wheel controls but probably spend too much time toggling between displays while driving. After one month and 1200 miles of driving we are averaging 20.4 mpg overall. We've done as well as 24 mpg in all highway driving. 19-22 mpg on the highway when driving in windy conditions. We always averaged over 20 mpg with our old FWD car no matter what. But 24 was the best we ever did on the highway. Wind does not affect the highway manners of this vehicle. Passing other cars on a 2-lane road happens in a hurry. Xenon headlights provide great road coverage and vision at night but oncoming cars tend to flash their high beams at me even when I'm on low beam. We have the split middle seat with the console but younger families would prefer the bench. We find that the Flex has great utility for all our shopping needs but large, tall objects may not fit into the rear cargo area like on a larger SUV. Overall, I'm happy to own this car and look for reasons to climb behind the wheel. It's supposed to be my wife's car but I've done most of the driving since we got it. I feel like I bought a SHO wagon. Great car, or SUV, or wagon or whatever you want to call it!

The second Flex I have owned

by Flex Guy from Carnegie ,PA | November 17, 2013

I loved the 2010 SEL Flex AWD that I had prior to buying my new 2013 SEL AWD . Both ran great. Because it has a Frame under it (Volvo D5) The ride is solid and comfortable. I finally had to put rear brakes on my 2010 Flex at 46000 miles and still no Front Brakes. The only problem was a right front Wheel bearing at 26000 which was covered. Milage locally is 16 to 18 and highway with adults and luggage is 22 to 23.7 per gallon. I hope Ford continues the model.

Ford Flex beats GMC Acadia

by The mayor of Medinah from Medinah, Illinois | October 23, 2013

I just recently purchased a 2013 Ford Flex SEL FWD with theleather, nav, tow, and two done roof it was a Ford program car and I got a fantastc deal. I traded a GMC Acadia for it and so far I have no rregrets about it. The build, ride quality, comfort, and feagures beat the Acadia hands down. Plus the Flex is not a dime a dozen like the Acadia you actually feel like an individual. The Acadia was a good car but I will say that so far the Flex is a great car. Definately take one out for a drive and you will fall in love.

2013 Ford Flex

by 2 Moms from Frisco, TX | October 10, 2013

Looking for an suv that our 6'4" teenagers could fit in back seat, with out the front seat having to slide seats up into the dash. This car has so much room and it drives and rides like a luxury vehicle. We have 40/40 second row seats and we added the console as an option. I would highly recommend finding one with the console rather than having to add one at an additional $2K. If it comes from the factory it is only like a $100 option. It makes for a super comfy ride in the back seat as there are no arm rest on the 40/40 seating. This is my only complaint but the console took care of this. Overall, a great ride, and not many on the road.