2014 Ford Focus Electric

110 city / 99 hwy

Overall

From Volt to Focus Electric

by SkiingSIU from Batavia, IL | September 10, 2014

My experience with the Volt was incredible. I will never understand the unfounded criticism of the vehicle. So why get something different? After three years with the Volt, my wife and I discovered we rarely drove over 50 miles a day. Sure it was great to have the Volts gas backup, but even then we would rarely go over 100 miles in a day. The only gripe on the Volt would have been heating it in the winter. This past winter in Chicago was brutal, and the Volt would run the gas engine periodically when the temperature went below 35F. This was to protect the battery. Because of this, I was unable to preheat the Volt with my garage door down when the temp went below 35. With the Focus Electric, the car will be nice and toasty, or nice and cool. You can even have it scheduled for when you leave! I've had the car for a month now, and I'm getting about 100 miles per charge. I know this because I've driven two and from our summer place in WI twice, with about 30 miles to spare. The car drives well, and seems to want to drive faster on the interstate. I did not get that feeling in the Leaf. Another benefit over the volt, is the shockingly fast charge times. When the battery is almost depleted, I can get about 25 miles/per hour on a 240. One last benefit, is that it's a 5 seater. I've got two kids and they can now bring a friend along. If you do want to buy this car, you're going to have to look hard. These care are few and far between. I actually had to leave the Chicago area and drive to WI to buy mine. Well worth the trip though. Super happy with it. In closing, if you have any type of range anxiety with electric cars, PLEASE buy a Volt! You won't be disappointed. If you want to go all electric, I'd recommend a Focus EV.