2013 Ford Focus ST

23 city / 32 hwy

Overall

Great hot hatch

by Sithanas from Washington, DC | February 17, 2014

I've put just over a thousand miles on my certified used ST and I love it. Goes like a rocket, good stability, excellent suspension and handling. Downsides: full-size spare means small tank (300 mile range) and a high trunk floor, the suspension will make you regret potholes very quickly, and they came with summer performance tires from the factory so you may be popping for a new set of tires immediately. The car is reasonably practical though and an unbelievable amount of fun.

fun car to drive

by Skeet from Kent,WA. | January 21, 2014

Have had for 4000 miles now. Averaging 25 mpg with a very heavy foot. The turbo response is instant, spools quickly, with good torque in lower rev range. Handles like a dream for a FWD, with torque steer present. It is a driving enthusiasts car, I wouldnt recommend it to a regular driver who cannot appreciate its performance aspirations. It you want a versitle (4 door hatch), thats quick (6 speed manual, turbo), decent mpgs, nice interior (recaro seats, microsoft sync, 10 speaker Sony system) this is YOUR car! Cons: car came with full size spare tire, resulting in small gas tank, Rear motor mount too soft from factory, resulting in wheel hop and wheel spin. I fixed with aftermarket rear motor mount, works great.

2013 ST3 - more like it!

by ChrissyL from Seattle area | November 23, 2013

Traded in my 2009 Focus SES modified with Ford racing suspension, strut tower braces, stereo and lighting upgrades, etc., stock engine and 5-speed. In nearly every respect, the ST is what I was aiming at with my modded SES, with the added benefit of 120 additional horsepower, better integrated suspension, improved ride and reduced NVH, much improved brakes and interior, and next generation tech features. The noticeable downsides are over 500 pounds more weight, (manageable) torque steer in the three lower gears, a larger turning radius, slightly reduced rearward and parking visibility, a bit more thirst for fuel (unless I use the turbo frequently, when it has quite a bit more thirst!), and an compelling need to go find twisties, just because this car does them so well. I’m very happy with the car’s performance. My grin factor has substantially increased over what it was with the SES, especially when acceleration is involved and high-g cornering is involved. I’ve commuted 2.5 hours daily and taken several medium-length day trips in the Cascades so far, and find the Recaros are usually comfortable (slightly snug in the seat bottom for an ol’ lady) and always supportive. The steering wheel rim profile is much more comfortable than in my previous Focus, and the 6-speed Ford-Getrag trans shifts more consistently than the older car’s 5-speed MTX-75 trans, which didn’t like to be hurried. The upgraded soft-touch interior surfaces are much better than the expanses of hard plastic in the SES, except for the rear passengers’ windowsills. So close to getting it right, Ford; why’d ya stop short? Just put the car on a winter tire-wheel package and am looking forward to learning how to manage this much power in the Northwest’s winter conditions, especially in the passes. The best thing about the ST is that I can drive it in a manner similar to how I used to ride my liter-bikes (if you know what I mean, you know what I’m talkin’ about). This car has the best combination of steering precision, grip, brakes, and thrust that I’ve ever been able to afford in a car, and it is teaching me new things about unravelling some of my favorite roads. I’m looking forward to my round of trips to Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Yosemite and other National Parks in the coming years.

Generally excellent car!

by StuntHunt from Burlington, VT | November 9, 2013

I own a ST3, and am very pleased with it. I was looking for a versatile daily driver hot hatch with a true manual tranny, and repeatedly test drove everything in it's class over a period of 6 months. The ST was the winner over the WRX, GTI, Mazda Speed3, Audi A3, and BMW 328i wagon. Money was not really a factor (within reason). The car handles unbelievably well, accelerates VERY quickly, and yet has a very civilized ride + road manners. IF you fit in the narrow, confining seats, they are very comfortable. If you don't, forget it, because they ARE narrow and confining. And just because you fit in the seats, your girthier passengers might not--so think of who will be in the car with you. The seats are designed for a narrow-butted driver who likes to sling the car through corners. For a daily driver/road trip car, the seats could be better--an inch or two wider and they'd be perfect. I'm 54 and have been through many vehicles. There's really very little I don't like about this car! It's a joy to drive, gets decent gas mileage for such a high performer, can run on 87 octane fuel if need be (unlike most hot rods), has a very nice interior, decent stereo (esp with an after market speaker upgrade), has a very nice cargo carrying capacity, and loads of features built right in. Really, it's a high quality, high performance car that can be bought for well under $30,000. Bravo Ford! But it's not perfect: the rear visibility is pretty bad, the turning circle is very wide for the size of the vehicle (not good in a parking lot or when making 3 pt turns), and the My Ford Touch (MFT) electronics are VERY quirky and annoying with their random performance. Hopefully Ford will be able to get the MFT software bugs figured out, because it's killing their reliability ratings across the entire Ford auto fleet! All that said, if you're in the market for a hot hatch, make sure you drive this car!

Big performance for little money!

by Smizleton from Alexandria | September 4, 2013

The car handles great with lots of power. Front wheel drive a little bit of pull when giving lot of gas. Hugs the road great. Great sounding stereo. Drivers and passenger seat poor lumbar support wish there was a better seat option. Over all great car. Would buy another one.

First new car in 20 years

by frank from detroit, mi | August 26, 2013

It's been a long time since I purchased a new car, usually opting for a recycled ride to save a few $. I was a little exhausted from replacing water pumps, fuel regulators, head gaskets, etc, so decided to buy new. I work with several OE's and decided to buy Ford, because I repect their development process. Very satisfied with the purchase. Its practical, but very fun to drive. Even fits 3 boys adequately in the back seat. I recommend the base seats over the recaros, because the latter are quite restricting.

Performance,styling and over 30 mpg hwy

by GD from Fort Pierce,Fl | August 23, 2013

I wanted mpg,already had a veh I ordered 2yr ago that is attractive and lots of luxury and other options (a loaded f-150) never expected I'd be able to own another new performance vehicle.This thing is a Hoot,Recaro seats,an interior actually designed to let you hear the turbo etc more acceleration than vehicles costing 3x more.Quick tight handling and for less than $1k I have parts of the dash and wheels that match up w/the race red ST badges on the seats and exterior. Tangerine Scream is an apt name for the metal flake .I see why European's are into mini racing "Hatches".Drive one hard and try and keep the grin off your face

Best Car I've Owned!

by ST Lover! from Washington, DC | August 15, 2013

The Recaro seats are really comfortable, leather is great quality. The car has a turbo therefore it gets you where you want to be quickly and has a great 6 speed manual gear box. The exterior is agressive and stylish, not your average Focus. The interior is modern and SYNC is amazing. I got a great deal on my ST3 for 6k less than asking, couldn't be happier. My car prior to this was a 10 year old 2003 Focus. It was a tank and I expect the reliabilty I had with it from my new Ford addition.

Great to drive

by TC from Indiana | July 10, 2013

The Focus ST is a fun , stylish car. With the sport seats and manual transmission, it is an exciting drive

Ford Focus

by The Camel from Avon Lake, Ohio | July 2, 2013

As I told the salesperson, Karen,my 9 year old car went from 0 to 60 in a half hour. It was time for a new car. My initial purchase was going to be a Fiesta. However, once I drove the Focus, I had to have it. The handling and interior size made me feel safer and more comfortable. I love my new ride especially the metallic blue finish. Nice product Ford. And thanks to all the people at Liberty Ford in Vermillion. We all had a great day together.