2001 Ford Focus

Available in 5 styles:  2001 Ford Focus 2dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Never again

by Jenn from Colorado Springs, CO | June 2, 2014

Of all vehicles I've ever had, I've had more issues with this one. I've had bad luck with Fords in general. My husband bought this car used and it did really well in the beginning. After about 80K miles, the problems start rolling in! The car has almost left us stranded 3 times in a year b/c of something electrical or the water pump seized and the serpentine belt wouldn't stay on. At 97K miles the car had so much wear and tear that we couldn't justify paying that much just for something else to break down later on. It seems that once we repaired one thing, something else unexpected came up. I feel like we made a good move trading this off for a Honda.

Great All Around Car

by Focus2117 from LA, CA | September 8, 2013

This car is very good. And it has great acceleration and power especially for a 4 cylinder. I also love the interior design. It feels like I am driving a shuttle.

Excellent MPG, but eats tires like no other!

by ZX10RMan from Morning Sun, IA | March 17, 2012

I drive this care 75 miles one way to work. I've seen over 31 & 1/2 MPG. I've been told the DOHC 2L engine is the only good one of the 2. I've owned this car for a year & 4 months and have put 43K on it. So far all I've really done is replace the coil pack, plug wires, plugs, a water pump. Prior to purchase I had it inspected and it needed 2 new rotors, 2 lower control arms in the rear, valve cover gasket, with it having 99K on it. Biggest problem with this car is that it eats up rear tires in 19K even if you rotate them every 6K like you are supposed to. Now with 25K on this set of tires I need another rear one replaced. My Focus is the Wagon SE, and when the tread is getting low on the rear tires, the rear end sways all over the road if it's a bumpy road. It's the right rear that I am having all the problems with. I have been told by many tire shops that Focus' tear up rear tires a lot, and I am finding it to be true. If it were not for the rear tire issues, I'd probably buy another one because the MPG is excellent. But I can probably say I wont buy another.

Lost My Focus

by Recovering Owner from St. Louis, MO | January 27, 2012

I purchased the car used with 50,000 miles on board. At frist it was a reasonable little car. Then the problems began. Broken Engine Mounts - two times - expensive fix Lots of vibration and little repairs here and then. Then this week - total engine failure. I had the car towed to my shop where the mechanic told me that it wasn't my fault, just poor design. He said this happens a lot in the Focus, just like the broken engine mounts. Now I'm having to scramble to figure out what to do. Never again, Ford, never again.

This Car Saved My Wife's Life

by Focus Man from McConnellsburg, PA | January 9, 2012

We purchased this car used in the summer of 2011 after a bad experience with a Chrysler PT Cruiser. It was good for being a 2nd car that didn't use much gas, although the gas comsumption was more than what the dealer told us. (We were told it would get 28mpg city, I never came close to it, more like 23 or 24). My wife totaled the car in a one car accident driving home from work one evening. She lost control on a wet road and the car went into the ditch and nose first into a fence post and creek bed. The entire front end was destroyed, but thanks to the airbags and other safety features, she walked away with some bruising and that was it. If you are looking for a car with bells and whistles, this probably isn't the vehicle for you. If you want something that will get you to work or school and back and that's it, you could do worse.

Smart choice

by Focus347 from New york city | September 16, 2011

I purchased my 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. Which i found on cars.com, I was stuck deciding between the Focus and a 1995 Mustang GT. But I made the smart choice by buying the Focus, not only is it better on gas its easier to park in tight spots. I woudnt trade or sell it.

"F"ound "O"n "R"oad "D"ead ford

by Ktgritz from Waverly IA | February 19, 2011

I got this car from my parents. I have only had it for a short time and have already put more money into it than it is worth. When buying a car like this be prepared to have it in once a week for repairs.

A real gem.

by Mike from New Jersey | February 8, 2011

I have 257,000 miles on my 2001 Focus. I bought her in 2002-3 with about 21,000 miles. She has been like a friend, always there when I needed to go. She has been through a lot, and I drove her every day over 100,000 miles. I had hope to have her until she reached 1 million miles, because she drove like she would reach that mark. Recently, she has been seeing a lot of repairs. Because of the cost of repairs and I can't afford to keep her and another car I will need to give her up. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a car they can count on. She is a true gem.

DEFECTIVE FUEL PUMP

by 62 FORD FALCON MAN from Greensboro, NC | October 10, 2010

FOCUS IS A FUN TO DRIVE CAR WITH SPRITELY PERFORMANCE..IT HANDLES LIKE A DREAM. THE STEERING IS QUICK AND RESPONSIVE. THE "FIT AND FINISH" IS EXCELLENT. NO GAPS IN THE BODY PANELS OR RATTLES. THERE IS A RECALL ON THE FUEL PUMP (FORD CALLS IT THE "FUEL DELIVERY MODULE"). THE FUEL PUMP ORIGINALLY INSTALLED IN THE CAR WILL "CLOG" IF YOU GET A LITTLE "TRASH" IN YOUR FUEL TANK. THE FUEL PUMP WILL OVERHEAT AND WILL "SHUT DOWN" LEAVING YOU STRANDED. MY FUEL PUMP "DIED" AS WE WERE CROSSING THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER FROM ARKANSAS INTO MEMPHIS, TN. I NOW HAVE THE REDESIGNED FUEL PUMP ( A $900.00 REPAIR ) AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE "REDESIGNED" FUEL PUMP. OTHERWISE, THIS CAR WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED !!!

First car owned!!!

by Focus Owner from Simi Valley, CA | October 5, 2010

Excellent car for value! Reliable and superb MPG!!! No issues with mechanical and very smooth driving.

Featured Services for this Ford Focus