2003 Ford Focus

2003 Ford Focus
Available in 16 styles:  2003 Ford Focus 2dr Hatchback shown

Overall

I liked the first so well, I bought a second

by FocusFan from Nebraskansas | January 19, 2015

I got my first '03 in '07, with 50,000 miles on it as our family car. Since then, we've put 170,000 miles on it and recently blew the head gasket. 220,000 miles and everything else was working fine except some dead display pixels in the radio. The manual transmission was as solid as the day we got it. We replaced a set of shocks all the way around, a radiator, an alternator and a fan. Otherwise, it was just normal oil changes and TIRES. For whatever reason, this model eats through tires. But it's a trade-off we were willing to make for something that has been so solid. The second we bought two years ago with 106,000 on it. An automatic, it's not quite as much fun to drive, but it's still reliable and solid, just as expected. Im currently up to 146,000 on it with no repairs at all since we've owned it. I have really been impressed with the Focus. So much so that we just bought our *third* this week; a '13. :)

Fantastic & Fun

by Original Owner from Indiana | January 6, 2015

I bought my 2003 Focus ZTS sedan new over 11 years and 100,000 miles ago. It is still a fun, zippy, reliable car. The paint has held up well and all systems are working like new. . The downfall of this car has been tires. Make sure they are good tires inflated exactly right or you'll experience vibration problems. It handled horribly in snow but after investing in snow tires, it is a beast. I've been very careful about regular maintenance, I get the oil changed every 3000 miles with a synthetic blend oil. Throughout the years I have had to replace 1 motor mount, the battery, a shock, and repaired a minor oil leak. The coil springs broke just after the extended warranty on them, admittedly after my husband took my car way too fast over rough railroad tracks. The radio/CD player now has a mind of its own concerning volume control. My Focus gets about 25 mpg overall which is great considering my lead foot and nearly 2 dozen stoplights on my route to work. This has been a very reliable and zippy, fun to drive car. I bought it the year my first grandchild was born and it very well may be his 1st car *if* I can part with it.

2003 focus zx3 is Reliable

by 1focusguy from Warren, Michigan | October 31, 2014

I have 140000 on this car and only things wrong with it is a vibrating that some say is a motor mount and needs an idle air control valve. Other than that just the usual stuff.

Best purchase

by GWEdit from San Diego, CA | January 9, 2013

When I first made the decision to purchase a used car, I went for dream car. Working with the family mechanic, boy did he open my eyes, I quickly changed my mind and adjusted my search criteria. My criteria for car purchase included cost of insurance, MPG and availability of car parts. I knew I wanted a station wagon type vehicle as I have a large dog. As someone recently separated, I was on a serious budget so having something with relatively low-cost insurance was a major plus (only $300 every six months). I happened to drive a different Ford Focus wagon and liked the feel. Figuring out when the various car auctions took place, I made sure to scope the various dealer inventories and lucked into a 2003 model. Best purchase I've made ever (ok, so far). This car had 120k+ miles on it. Despite having to do some repair work on it (wear and tear/age related), this car still gets 28 mpg. I have low insurance because it's a station wagon and not an SUV. Car parts are relatively easy to find as it's a Ford and not a particularly special model. And I haven't even gotten to the a/c, which for a model of this age, works fantastic. This is one of those vehicles that will be driven into the ground because it can be. It was a great purchase from a good dealer and there are at least two other family members also interested in a similar model. Like a TARDIS, while this car looks small, it IS bigger on the inside. I've managed to transport 5 people (2 of whom were more than 200 pounds) along with a fully loaded cargo space with minimal effort. The only thing I do wish is for a bit more leg room in the back. As someone with long legs, I have my front seats all the way back, which does make it difficult for the long-legged folks to sit in back.

Ford Focus ZX3

by wolfwyndd from 45432 | December 10, 2012

This is actually the second Focus I've owned. The first was a Focus 4 door ZTS that I owned for almost a year before giving it to my wife before we split up. Comfortable, drove well, plenty of room. The only issue I had with it was it wasn't the best in inclement weather. Rain or snow. Even with new tires. The ZX3 that I own now so far has been the same. Comfortable, drives well, plenty of room even though it's a two door. With the rear seats folded down there was as much cargo space as I used to have in my Jeep Cherokee. Of course with the seats down only two people can ride in the vehicle at that point. So that's the trade off. Gas mileage is awesome. Right now I'm getting about 27 MPG and that's about 90 percent city driving.

fine so far

by smkummer from Louisville, KY | November 26, 2012

Pluses- nice egonomics for teenage daughter, easy to park, room for 5 teenage girls, power windows/locks and remote. Great milage Negative-this model does not have anti lock brakes or automatic lights. Insurance went up. I have the 2.0 engine that might have a valve seat come loose and wreck engine (years 2000-04). Keeping fingers crossed on that.

Great for price.

by Dodd from Riverside , CA | October 4, 2012

I bought this car in 2004 with only 1,000. It now has 225,000 and 8 years later. The car still run as good as when I drove it off the dealer ship. I've only done regular maintenance. I would buy the car again. The gas mileage averaged about 31 which is not bad for how I drive.

Good All-Around Car

by Amateur Mechanic from Omaha, NE | June 23, 2012

I haven't owned this car long enough yet to say much about its reliability - it's not even due for its first oil change - but it's treated me well so far. First and foremost, it has good fuel economy for a station wagon. We usually get 27MPG in city driving, beating the EPA's rating of 24, and our experience on the highway more or less matches their estimate of 30MPG. Some interior features aren't the highest quality, like the sun shades that stick in 2-4 set positions and the center armrest/storage compartment that falls open if tilted up, but so far I have only minor complaints. One thing to watch out for, though: The driver's headrest is positioned such that it's really hard to look over your shoulder when changing lanes. It's best to adjust your mirrors to cover as much of your blind spot as possible. There isn't much legroom in back, but it's roomy enough for two adults in front, two kids in back, and a dog in the cargo area (with room for luggage). The front seats also have a wide adjustment range, so you can create legroom in back (at the expense of the front). It looks like it would be really hard to replace about anything under the hood (the alternator is tucked away beneath the power steering fluid reservoir and the engine coolant reservoir, for example), but fortunately I haven't had to do anything like that yet.

besr ford i've had

by redd focus from lancaster ohio | June 16, 2012

Bought this 2003 Ford focus z-x5 used with 117 k onit. Now it has 172000 on it . The only thing i have replaced is tires and brakes. Most other cars have tierods ball-joints replaced by now nd I drive on some rough roads in Lancaster ohio.

Great little Runner

by The Raccoon from Fort Wayne, IN | April 30, 2012

I bought this car to drive back and forth to work and school. So I wasn't out for all the luxury. Its been a reliable little runner to go back and forth. Its a very smooth ride it has the performance I'm not used to in a little four cylinder.

Featured Services for this Ford Focus