2003 Ford Focus

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best purchase

by GWEdit from San Diego, CA | January 9, 2013

When I first made the decision to purchase a used car, I went for dream car. Working with the family mechanic, boy did he open my eyes, I quickly changed my mind and adjusted my search criteria. My criteria for car purchase included cost of insurance, MPG and availability of car parts. I knew I wanted a station wagon type vehicle as I have a large dog. As someone recently separated, I was on a serious budget so having something with relatively low-cost insurance was a major plus (only $300 every six months). I happened to drive a different Ford Focus wagon and liked the feel. Figuring out when the various car auctions took place, I made sure to scope the various dealer inventories and lucked into a 2003 model. Best purchase I've made ever (ok, so far). This car had 120k+ miles on it. Despite having to do some repair work on it (wear and tear/age related), this car still gets 28 mpg. I have low insurance because it's a station wagon and not an SUV. Car parts are relatively easy to find as it's a Ford and not a particularly special model. And I haven't even gotten to the a/c, which for a model of this age, works fantastic. This is one of those vehicles that will be driven into the ground because it can be. It was a great purchase from a good dealer and there are at least two other family members also interested in a similar model. Like a TARDIS, while this car looks small, it IS bigger on the inside. I've managed to transport 5 people (2 of whom were more than 200 pounds) along with a fully loaded cargo space with minimal effort. The only thing I do wish is for a bit more leg room in the back. As someone with long legs, I have my front seats all the way back, which does make it difficult for the long-legged folks to sit in back.

Ford Focus ZX3

by wolfwyndd from 45432 | December 10, 2012

This is actually the second Focus I've owned. The first was a Focus 4 door ZTS that I owned for almost a year before giving it to my wife before we split up. Comfortable, drove well, plenty of room. The only issue I had with it was it wasn't the best in inclement weather. Rain or snow. Even with new tires. The ZX3 that I own now so far has been the same. Comfortable, drives well, plenty of room even though it's a two door. With the rear seats folded down there was as much cargo space as I used to have in my Jeep Cherokee. Of course with the seats down only two people can ride in the vehicle at that point. So that's the trade off. Gas mileage is awesome. Right now I'm getting about 27 MPG and that's about 90 percent city driving.

fine so far

by smkummer from Louisville, KY | November 26, 2012

Pluses- nice egonomics for teenage daughter, easy to park, room for 5 teenage girls, power windows/locks and remote. Great milage Negative-this model does not have anti lock brakes or automatic lights. Insurance went up. I have the 2.0 engine that might have a valve seat come loose and wreck engine (years 2000-04). Keeping fingers crossed on that.

Great for price.

by Dodd from Riverside , CA | October 4, 2012

I bought this car in 2004 with only 1,000. It now has 225,000 and 8 years later. The car still run as good as when I drove it off the dealer ship. I've only done regular maintenance. I would buy the car again. The gas mileage averaged about 31 which is not bad for how I drive.

Good All-Around Car

by Amateur Mechanic from Omaha, NE | June 23, 2012

I haven't owned this car long enough yet to say much about its reliability - it's not even due for its first oil change - but it's treated me well so far. First and foremost, it has good fuel economy for a station wagon. We usually get 27MPG in city driving, beating the EPA's rating of 24, and our experience on the highway more or less matches their estimate of 30MPG. Some interior features aren't the highest quality, like the sun shades that stick in 2-4 set positions and the center armrest/storage compartment that falls open if tilted up, but so far I have only minor complaints. One thing to watch out for, though: The driver's headrest is positioned such that it's really hard to look over your shoulder when changing lanes. It's best to adjust your mirrors to cover as much of your blind spot as possible. There isn't much legroom in back, but it's roomy enough for two adults in front, two kids in back, and a dog in the cargo area (with room for luggage). The front seats also have a wide adjustment range, so you can create legroom in back (at the expense of the front). It looks like it would be really hard to replace about anything under the hood (the alternator is tucked away beneath the power steering fluid reservoir and the engine coolant reservoir, for example), but fortunately I haven't had to do anything like that yet.

besr ford i've had

by redd focus from lancaster ohio | June 16, 2012

Bought this 2003 Ford focus z-x5 used with 117 k onit. Now it has 172000 on it . The only thing i have replaced is tires and brakes. Most other cars have tierods ball-joints replaced by now nd I drive on some rough roads in Lancaster ohio.

Great little Runner

by The Raccoon from Fort Wayne, IN | April 30, 2012

I bought this car to drive back and forth to work and school. So I wasn't out for all the luxury. Its been a reliable little runner to go back and forth. Its a very smooth ride it has the performance I'm not used to in a little four cylinder.

much better than....

by dinosaurcheese from buffali,ny | November 28, 2011

The cobalt I owned. It's smooth driving and has almost no blind spots. I love the hatchback, and its got pretty good gas milage. I would recommend this car to anyone of any age.

Buy Fords not foreign

by SE 4-door sedan from Hendersonville, NC (Mountains) | October 31, 2011

I have owned this one for 4 years. 25-28 MPG. Rides smoothly and takes my mountain curves well at speeds up to 45 -50 MPH ( I'm a mountain boy and know how to "iron out" curves). I am 69 years old and have owned MANY cars. Read this and heed if you are young and inexperienced. This particular, smaller-sized Ford can't be beat.

Great Car for Reasonable price.

by lilkk from Wisconsin | April 3, 2011

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size of this vehicle. I am just starting to look for a new vehicle as I would like a SUV/Crossover with 4 wheel drive. The focus handled really well especially for Wisonsin winters.

Featured Services for this Ford Focus