2005 Ford Focus

Available in 12 styles:  2005 Ford Focus 2dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Best Car I've Owned

by RSD Bluegrass from Northbridge, MA | March 7, 2014

I bought this car during the Ford Friends and Family discount time, got a great price. I have the ZXW SES with the winter package and a 5 speed manual. Currently have over 202,000 miles, still with the original back brakes and battery. I have only replaced the alternator, front brakes, and anti-roll sway bars (did myself for less than $75), plus the usual tires, gas, oil, etc. I live in New England, and I can't believe the battery still starts the car after all these cold mornings. I also have the car equipped with a trailer hitch, and tow a trailer with a small professional sound system. I've done a lot of traveling with this sound system in the back of the car, which is amazing how much cargo can fit back there. Great car for us upright bass players! All in all, this is a great utility car. I do wish it had another gear though, RPM is high on the highway, and could probably get better MPG. The car has very good power on the highway for passing. Interior could be nicer, but that's what you get with economy cars from 2005. Looking forward to getting another new Focus, just wish they would sell a wagon again. I have not had issues with tires, use mostly tiger paws and they last 50,000 miles. Shamefully, I have never touched the coolant, and I only change the oil about every 7-8K miles. I don't think I've ever taken it to the car wash, and there is some rust on the exhaust, but the rest of the paint has held up real well. I am very happy with my Focus!!

I hate this car

by jen from Evansville IN | December 30, 2013

I've had my 2005 ford focus for about three years. The arm rest broke. The CD holder falls down if there is anything in it. You can't change a headlight without taking half of the car apart. The interior is noisy and rattles most of the time. If there is any small thing that goes wrong with the car they make it to where you have to go to the dealership to get it fixed. Don't get this car unless you want to rely on the dealership for any and all maintenance.

great practical car

by BBBassist from Waltham, Ma | September 27, 2013

I've had the car about 3 weeks. It rides better then the Mazda Protege5 I traded in though the Mazda did handle slightle better. I'm used to driving stick so the automatic has taken a bit to get used to, but it does have good pick up, you just have to hit the gas pedal a bit harder. I'm a musician and it's a perfect car for me, plenty of room and decent mileage.

Don't do it

by Mickey from Ontario | July 23, 2013

We purchased this very 72000 mile car. Synchros in the standard transmission are gone. Grinds going into first, second and third gear.

Fun to Drive--great value

by Frugal Fred from Virginia | January 28, 2013

Great handling and pep for the price--has also been great in snow. Have owned Volvos & BMW in past. Parts costs much better with Ford. Paint finish and sound deadening are not as good, but price is a good offset. Radio/CD player has peeling paint on control buttons, and CD player does not work--radio functions great. Otherwise, car appears mechanically sound @ approximately 100K miles, and has the engine with a timing chain (no belt to replace)

Terrific Car, Great Value

by NH Driver from New Hampshire | March 27, 2012

A real gem. I bought my ST new in March 2005, the first American car I've owned (after having owned VW, Porsche, BMW, Nissan, Audi, Volvo--most bought new). I can truly say that this vehicle has proven to be, by far, the most reliable and best value of the bunch. Fun to drive, great in snow, good gas mileage. My only criticism is the seats--not much lumbar support (I'm tall). Plenty of room, though. Still looks new, inside and out, despite severe New Hampshire winters. Well built. I have a long commute, and my ST has never let me down, even after 100K(+) miles. I've liked it so much that I am looking at getting a 2012 Focus (while holding on to this one).

best used car bought

by another satisfied customer from Laurence Harbor, NJ | January 23, 2012

I bought my 05 Ford Focus around this time last year and I must say that I am totally happy with my car thus far, from its performance all the way to the price I am paying for it. The people at Auto Solutions are very friendly and professional when it comes to selling their vehicles. They find a way to get you in the car you want for the money you want to spend, they get it done. I highly recommend their business and will continue to support them for many years to come.

5 yr Review

by New car shopper from boston | January 31, 2011

We bought our 2005 Focus se NEW in 12/04. Got a GREAT deal. The only problem off the bat was the HVAC system leaking water into the foot well. This was fixed (through outsourcing) @ the local dealer for free. Took 3x. Probably a clogged drain plug. Other than a new set of tires (why do new car tires only last 29k??) new front brakes, a new battery & a new ERG canister (our fault-do NOT overfill your tank!) the car has been stellar. 5spd 4cyc gets 34 mpg hiway if you keep in under 70. I know this from driving from Syracuse to Boston. Around town it will get 24-28mpg. Headroom is excellent, even for back seat. The interior is lacking- a bit too plastic. Sound system? Just upgrade to new speakers. Seats? Ok at best. My wife likes them, but she is large and does not like side bolsters. I like something that holds you in place. But, the seats were fine for 300 mile cruises for both of us. Rear seat? Has a split back, which does not really matter. You MUST flip the read seat bench to fold down either rear seat back, taking away the 3rd psngr. for ski+golf trips. Also, keep in mind only 827lbs for total weight! All in all a great grocery getter, great MPG, and low-low maint costs. Who needs a 7 recall Coralla, anyway?

good running car

by Tatortot from rhinelander wi | January 17, 2011

This car has been a great car for my daughter.Its just the right size and has a sleek style to it.It runs great and great gas mileage.It handles excellent in the winter months and always starts.It was sure worth its money.

Okay, but it's my last ford

by LBJ from Arlington Texas | September 27, 2010

I purchased this car new. I have driven it to Colorado twice, and worked as an outside sales rep so it was a daily heavy driver for a year and a half. On one of my trips to Colorado, it began to give me trouble starting. I drove it home and took it to ford after another two weeks of issues. The fuel pump was out. Yet it got us home. The interior is cheap, my gear shift knob broke off around the 60K mark and the center console broke off right around 37k. Now the inside door latch comes out completely when opening it. If I give it a good hard whack it goes back into place and works fine for quite a while. My car now has 105k on it. It runs great, but is getting very loud. Make sure you buy very very good tires for it, or it will shred em in about a year despite excellent care. All in all, it's been reliable, and with regular maitnenance I sure I could drive it for 200k but do not know for certain that I will be able to. The cosmetic problems with the shifter and door are annoying, and frankly I am afraid the steering wheel might fall off. LOL.. Let's just say that my next car will be a Toyota, so I can drive it comfortably for at least 15 years.