2008 Ford Focus

24 city / 35 hwy

Overall

Merely OK commuter car

by DrivesFor Work from Houston, Tx | July 29, 2014

I drive the '08 SES coupe, and have just hit 112,000 miles. On highway driving, it has good handling, and rarely seems like it is losing traction-even in rain. That said, I have had 2 wheel bearings suddenly die without warning now, and I am going to have to replace the other 2 soon because they have foolishly made these and other components proprietary, sealed units which home mechanics cannot access anymore to apply grease/replace without going to a dealership. I have also had the driver side door handle just up and break ($$$). If you plan on doing any of your own maintenance, this is probably not the vehicle for you. If you would rather pay someone else (handsomely) to do all maintenance no matter how simple, you will probably be able to get 150,000 miles out of this before something breaks and they tell you to buy a new one.

Awesome fuel mileage.

by chefthis from | March 6, 2014

Car just turned 140,000 miles on it. Original 2.0 engine and 4 speed automatic trans....Sync system, and best part she still gets 32 miles per gallon!!!!

The Ford Focus is a terrible vehicle!!

by Ripped off college student from College Station, TX | December 3, 2013

Fords have gone way downhill. I have a Ford Focus I bought off the showroom floor just over 5 years ago. 3 months after the 5 year warranty expired with only 21,000 miles on it (the warranty was 5 yr or 60k miles) the transmission completely failed. Ford recognized the vehicle was terrible and picked up part of the repair cost, but still made me pay $1000!! It's hard to imagine they build vehicles that have major failures like that timed so perfectly for them! They know I can't afford to fight them in court so I try to tell everyone around how bad they are. I'll definitely never buy from them again, not even for $1. I know they'd end up stranding me and leaving me hanging with more bills somehow, and I was even stranded previously with the vehicle while under warranty so they really got me on this one! I believe the only reason they paid any part of the repair is due to my questioning the transmission before the warranty expired and having their service center tell me it was fine... only it really wasn't. They knew they had some liability issues. I highly recommend you stay far away from Ford vehicles of all kinds unless you like having major repair bills constantly with little to no assistance from a company who's engineering practices have completely fallen down (this came from a highly reputable source, not just me being upset with them!). These car companies should be made liable for selling what amounts to 'lemon' vehicles, even when they are new! If they don't want to live up to a 5 year 60k mile warranty for whichever comes LAST, not first, then they really shouldn't be in the business. A complete transmission failure in 5 years at 21,000 miles is completely unreasonable and unacceptable for any vehicle manufacturer! These manufacturers really should not treat their customers this way. Someone needs to make Ford and vehicle manufacturers change their warranty policy to whichever comes last (within reason, just cap the millage limits!) Shame on Ford for treating broke college students this way! Thanks for reading and I hope this review helps you!

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY

by Eggman from Roxboro, NC | November 2, 2013

In March 2010 purchased a 2008 Ford Focus SE 4 dr sedan with 27,000 miles on it. This was my first car in over 20 years and the first Ford in 30 years. This car was GREAT!!! I was a diehard Chevy person, but this car made made me a believer in FORD. In over 3 1/2 years of ownership, 2 sets of tires, 1 battery and brake pads that lasted 99,500 miles. I was getting nearly 40 mpg, using full synthetic oil. I was on involved in an accident in late September where a young girl turned in front of and I broadsided her, totaling the Focus with 142,000+ miles on it. I walked away from the wreck with only minor back pain. I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR ANOTHER FOCUS TO REPLACE THAT CAR. To sum it in 1 word, the FOCUS is GREAT!

Amazing Car for an Unbeatable Price

by College Student from Bellevue, NE | March 19, 2013

I am a first-year college student. I recently bought this car used for $9,000. It had 40,000 miles on it. Runs smoothly, excellent exterior and interior style. I highly recommend this car.

Needed a 4 door

by Soccer Mom from houston, tx | June 7, 2012

They had a lot of choices that where right in my budget. I'm glad i didn't settle anywhere else i happened to go that day.

good all around car

by practical car owner from Seattle | April 30, 2012

I had a 2006 focus that my wife rapped around a power pole. The car was totaled, but she walked away without a scratch. So with the insurance settlement I bought a 2008. It's a great car, especially the Sync system. It gets about 34 mpg, comfortable. The only thing is I wish it was a four door sedan and not a coupe.

terrible

by i need a car from | February 1, 2012

hail damage all over. interior is absolutly trashed with stains that wont come out. it has been a salvage title and your insurance will only put liablility on it. not worth it. plus the car dealership owner is a douche.

Great on gas

by Sporty from Freedom,WI | October 26, 2011

This car is great on gas and would be and excellent car for anyone going to school or just somebody looking for great gas mileage and a dependable car. The car is in fantastic shape inside and out !!

Ford Focus

by rms from Georgia | August 10, 2011

I bought this 2008 vehicle from an individual. The car was in great shape when we bought it and has run great since. The gas mileage is the biggest plus for me. The one thing I don't understand is why they do not have a trunk releas inside the car. I also don't like the new keys that have chips in them and cost an arm and a leg but I guess that probably won't be going away any time soon. Overall a great car.